What's new

Blu-ray Review The Dark Knight Rises Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
w.r.t. The aspect ratio switches, it's exactly the same as "The Dark Knight" was. I did not find it particularly jarring or distracting. Aside from spot checking the SD DVD, I've only seen the movie in IMAX and on the Blu-ray, so the A/R switches are the way I expect it to be.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by SVTStingRay /t/325486/the-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray-review#post_4005612
once again, just like with avengers, i feel this movie (and the trilogy in whole) deserve better extras.
You're kidding right? Compared to the previous two Nolan-verse releases this is practically Criterion quality supplements.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden /t/325486/the-dark-knight-rises-blu-ray-review#post_4007540
w.r.t. The aspect ratio switches, it's exactly the same as "The Dark Knight" was. I did not find it particularly jarring or distracting. Aside from spot checking the SD DVD, I've only seen the movie in IMAX and on the Blu-ray, so the A/R switches are the way I expect it to be.

I agree with Ken and don't find the switches to be distracting at all. I saw "DKR" three times on the IMAX screen - those shifts were a lot more noticeable!

No problems at all with the AR changes here - or with the "Dark Knight" BD. Really happy those BDs include the AR shifts, honestly - it's a nice way to semi-reproduce the IMAX experience...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Saw both TDK and TDKR in regular and IMAX theaters (yep I'm one of "those" guys). :D
I found the aspect ratio change way more noticeable in the IMAX screening because the aspect ratio change is much greater than the switch from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 that you get on Blu Ray. It didn't bother me at all on TDK BD, so I doubt that it will bother me one TDKR BD. In fact, since so much more of TDKR was shot in IMAX it will probably be less noticeable. Looking forward to watching this when I get home tonight.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
I picked up the Best Buy (Canada) exclusive today. The added feature is a ~40 minute feature from "New Wave Entertainment" called "The Dark Knight Reborn". It feels a bit like a TV show and covers the entire trilogy.
Decent, worth the extra dollar to my mind.
Now all I have to do is finally pick up a BR copy of Batman Begins. *Sigh*

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Saw through the football field collapse... Sounds stunning in my modest theater, can't wait to test it in the new setup in basement!
Next task: See if warner will exchange my uv code for itunes as they have in the past.....

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sam let me know how that goes. I just redeemed my first UV download and an very unhappy with the quality. Does WB allow for the high def download from iTunes?

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got the HD download from itunes, it has a fixed 2.39:1 ratio throughout.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I really can't stand UV and Flixster. Although the download is running much faster than the iTunes one for Hunger Games right now...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You can link your Ultraviolet account to a Vudu or Cinemanow account and generally watch a much higher quality high definition digital copy than the one you get via Flixster.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I should be getting my Blu-Ray of this soon.
Here are some pics of my Batman toys.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Just finished watching TDKR on Blu. Just a few impressions:
-Picture quality is great, though blacks do get washed out at some points
-Aspect ratio jump isn't distracting
-The sound is spectacular, possibly reference quality
-The movie still holds up for me, even after the excitement from the summer. Having seen it for the third time now, the pacing makes more sense to me, and some of the big moments actually get me a bit choked up. A bittersweet conclusion to a helluva ride.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this for the first time on Saturday night and really enjoyed it. A great way to end the Nolan trilogy. I'm very happy I blind bought it. I thought PQ was excellent despite some 35mm scenes being a bit soft, the image looked film-like and natural. I'll be watching this again in the next several weeks.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Carlo Medina said:
Sam let me know how that goes. I just redeemed my first UV download and an very unhappy with the quality. Does WB allow for the high def download from iTunes?
Was denied. Bummer. They have done it for me in the past. I wish everyone let you choose between the two with one code, I think Fox leads the way on that.
I will never sign up for UV unless I can store those films in my iTunes library with no additional hoops or DRM. So basically never.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh sorry to hear that. Oh well, life goes on. I'm so disappointed with the PQ of UV that I may just opt to burn the DVD image and watch that.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think you are actually disappointed with the PQ of Flixster. I watch most of my UV titles through a linked Vudu account, and they look quite good, especially the HDX ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks