What's new

The Dark Knight changing Aspect Ratio feels like a Joke (1 Viewer)

David Forbes

Supporting Actor
Ric Easton said:
You got it, Paul. Im was indeed talking about DVD vs Blu-ray. Thanks for making clear what I was obviously unable to do! At first I didn't get what David was trying to tell me!
Ah, sorry! Yes, I did misunderstand what you meant. My apologies.
I saw this in both an Imax and regular theater, and the Imax scenes were jaw-dropping with the full aspect ratio. I don't expect a similar experience from the Blu-ray, but I also don't think I'm going to be bothered by the shifting AR. I saw Brainscan at a great old theater in Pittsburgh when it came out and I remember being very impressed when the movie switched to 70mm for the brainscan scenes.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Probably not. I didn't get a chance to see the IMAX version, but my understanding is that the area of the IMAX negative transferred to 35mm for wide release is not constant, kind of like when Super35 films are prepped for anamorphic conversion. Am I right?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
This would have been a perfect seamless branching title. I saw the film in IMAX, and loved it, but I think the changing AR on BR will be distracting. I wish they would have included a 2.35:1 version.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
cafink said:
scenes shot in the Imax format. They just blow up the standard 35mm film to the larger Imax format.
Thanks for the clarifications. I was completely naive on this process - though I might also say I am now less disappointed about not being able to see these movies since they are mostly not shot with IMax cameras.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
I don't mind the idea of aspect ratio shifting if that's what the director intended. I don't mind the THEORY at least, ask me again about the experience of watching it when I receive the disc.
I find it slightly more annoying that the 2.35:1 sections are positioned slightly lower than centre on the screen. This kinda thing irritates me more cos it really can't be that hard to centre a movie on the screen. A badly positioned picture takes me out of the movie more than ratio changes.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Plus none of us own Imax Theaters capable of tru reproduction, on the other Hand I have a 96" Screen that will reproduce a 2:35 ratio film quite well, get my point ?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
John H Ross said:
I find it slightly more annoying that the 2.35:1 sections are positioned slightly lower than centre on the screen. This kinda thing irritates me more cos it really can't be that hard to centre a movie on the screen. A badly positioned picture takes me out of the movie more than ratio changes.
Are referring to the actual Imax release, or the upcoming Blu-ray disc? If the Blu-ray disc, then where did you learn that the 2.35:1 portions are not centered? This is the first I've heard of it.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
cafink said:
Are referring to the actual Imax release, or the upcoming Blu-ray disc? If the Blu-ray disc, then where did you learn that the 2.35:1 portions are not centered? This is the first I've heard of it.
I'm referring to the Blu-ray disc. You can see some screenshots here:
Blu-ray.com - The Dark Knight (+ Digital Copy and BD Live) (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray Screenshots
It's only a fraction off-centre, but perhaps just enough to make the aspect changes even more noticable (not only does the picture "change" but is also drops slightly. Maybe I'm just too picky...
I think Batman Begins was similarly "low" on the screen.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This is going too drive the "constant height" guys NUTS!!!

So, will the prolog be part of this release?

Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ed St. Clair said:
So, will the prolog be part of this release?
The "prologue" that was originally released with I Am Legend in IMAX (as well as on the Batman Begins Blu-ray) is merely the first scene of "The Dark Knight." As it's part of the film, it will absolutely be part of the release. Afterall, they can't really cut out the first six minutes of the movie...

John H Ross

Screenwriter
Adam Gregorich said:
Yes you are. I can't say if it sits low since I don't have a copy in front of me, but I wouldn't use review screenshots to determine if it does since you don't know how the pictures were taken, processed and posted.
From my experience, the screenshots posted on blu-ray.com are very, very accurate, certainly in terms of positioning.

troy evans

Screenwriter
John H Ross said:
Blu-ray.com - The Dark Knight (+ Digital Copy and BD Live) (Blu-ray) - Blu-ray Screenshots
It's only a fraction off-centre, but perhaps just enough to make the aspect changes even more noticable (not only does the picture "change" but is also drops slightly. Maybe I'm just too picky...
Damn John, you have good eyes. I can't even tell from those shots. You, more than likely, are right. Yet, with it being so small a difference, only the few will notice the flaw. I'm either very lucky in my limited vision or very unfortunate because of what I may miss.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

troy evans

Screenwriter
Here are my questions: Is the sd dvd in IMAX? If it's all about the IMAX experience, shouldn't it be? Since a changing aspect ratio has nothing to do with Hi-Def, if only the Blu-ray gets this treatment, then, I don't understand the point. Director's intent or not.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
troy evans said:
Here are my questions: Is the sd dvd in IMAX? If it's all about the IMAX experience, shouldn't it be? Since a changing aspect ratio has nothing to do with Hi-Def, if only the Blu-ray gets this treatment, then, I don't understand the point. Director's intent or not.
No, the DVD version is 2.40:1 ONLY, with the IMAX scenes on the second disc of the 2-disc DVD version.
The question I've been asking (since I'll get both DVD and BD) is what AR are the DVD IMAX scenes, since they don't have to be formatted for HDTV, they theoretically could be in 1.43:1 as originally shot.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
John H Ross said:
Perhaps its just not looking right to you.
Because if you click on those screen shots and bring them full frame, you can measure the black on top and bottom and they are exactly the same. Perhaps my way was unscientific, but I did it and the picture is fine.
I think this is a great film and this aspect ratio thing isn't going to bother me. I understand what Nolan produced, and now I can appreciate the process on this BD.

John H Ross

Screenwriter
David Deeb said:
Because if you click on those screen shots and bring them full frame, you can measure the black on top and bottom and they are exactly the same. Perhaps my way was unscientific, but I did it and the picture is fine.
Really? That's actually very good news! I'll have to get my ruler out tomorrow and have a check! :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Carlo Medina said:
I don't know if this would work because the extra framing above and below might be of different size, but perhaps for those who truly frown upon the changing ARs, might hard mattes work?
I doubt that the framing remains consistent from shot to shot. It's unlikely that they just pulled the image from the center of the frame.
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks