What's new

The Daily Show w/ John Stewart? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
From The Digital Bits:

"We've just gotten the following information from both industry and retail sources. I want to emphasize that this is very tentative and is absolutely subject to change. Also none of the dates you're about to see are officially announced. That said, here's a tentative list of major titles and special editions Paramount is working on for the first half of 2005. Some good stuff here...

2/1 - Cheers: The Complete Fourth Season, Frasier: The Complete Fifth Season, Taxi: The Complete Second Season

2/8 - America's Next Top Model: Cycle 1, 7th Heaven: The Complete Second Season

2/22 - Alfie

3/1 - South Park: The Complete Fifth Season, The Brady Bunch: The Complete First Season

3/15 - Star Trek: First Contact - SCE, Hogan's Heroes: The Complete First Season, Survivor: The Australian Outback

3/29 - Team America: World Police

4/19 - Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

5/3 - Star Trek: Enterprise - Season One, Touched by an Angel: The Complete Second Season

5/10 - The Longest Yard: SCE

5/14 - The Daily Show with John Stewart

5/17 - Coach Carter, Island in the Sky: SCE, The High and the Mighty: SCE

6/14 - War of the Worlds: SCE

7/12 - Face/Off: SCE

Once again, keep in mind that none of this is set in stone and until it's official, it's not official. Stay tuned..."

I'm both excited and intrigued, in what context could this possibly be released - any ideas?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Maybe a "best-of" disc with memorable in-studio routines, field pieces, interviews, etc? This isn't the sort of show that lends itself to season sets, but I could definitely see a best-of collection selling well.

Haden

Supporting Actor
If they are doing this, then I want one with Craig Kilborn too.. He was much funnier on the Daily Show than his CBS talk show.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Hogan's Heroes in march!!! This time, I do see something, and it's great!!

So, May 3rds the "tentative, unofficial, rumored--yet confirmed :D--date for Enterprise season 1. Very good.

First Contact special edition? Alright!

Brady Bunch, huh? Hmm...depends on the price.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I'll almost certainly buy any 'Daily Show' release.

I'm already looking forward to the (tentative) release.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Me too Dave!

I'm thinking it might be something of a themed release, say in the vein of "Important Events Of The Past Decade", or maybe even a direct to video special.

Eitherway, you can bet I'll be picking it up on release day!

John Stewart should run for president.

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I bet it's just a "Best of" set, but I'd definitely be all over complete season sets of The Daily Show. I don't care how many discs it takes!

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
TVShowsonDVD.com is reporting that it's a Season One set...or at least, that's the info they said they got from The Digital Bits, which isn't what I saw, but....

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't the Daily Show air, um, daily... which would account for 5 episodes a week, times 4 weeks a month, times 12 months a year... 240 thirty minute episodes would equal one hundred twenty hours running time for a season set (not including broadcast specials and the like). If it were released in a nicely packaged 5-disc set, we could enjoy 24 hours of John Stewart per disc and have a full week minus sleep, meals and bathroom breaks worth of content in an affordable and efficient collection! :}

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
The Daily Show only airs four times a week, and has like Reruns every other week. So that adds up to roughly 160 episodes a year, with a runtime of maybe 22 minutes each.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
That's still almost 60 hours of episodes for a season set, about 10 times longer than anything we've ever seen in a TV-DVD release to date and certainly not possible unless some studio whackjob were to issue a 20-disc boxed set which would result in maybe 5 sales internationally. Seems highly unlikely to me...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing it'll be highlights (9/11 hearings, State of the Union), and maybe just Indecision 2000/2004 and the big interviews. I would love to see the first episode after 9/11. You can find the full clip of Jon's speech on the Daily Show website. I have seen no better response to that day, from anyone, anywhere.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
If they mention it being season one, then it's most likely a highlights of season 1 release. No way is it going to be all the "episodes". A topical fake news show like this would not sell well on DVD.

I think a complete season set of DS is about as likely as complete season sets of Late Night With Conan O'Brien.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
This is one instance I don't want to see a season one.

Since they said Daily Show WITH JON STEWART, that would negate the Kilborn stuff (which totally pales in comparison anyway)so it would be 1999 stuff. I'm not that interested in Clinton jokes.

Daily Show hit its real stride when the world went nuts and the mainstream media was afraid to say much. Basically from the war up. That's what people will remember.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I would love to see a best of correspondence peice with say "Even-Steven," Lewis Black, etc...

Ryan

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
While the Kilborn version of the Daily Show was more 'zany' and less observant, it was still pretty funny. however, it seems like any traces of it have been destroyed (figuratively, i hope some tapes still exist). Having some sort of record of the early years of the show would be a welcome addition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks