What's new

The D5000 changed my life =) I'm now 'net famous =p (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So Friday I got a D5000, then I didn't then I did again. And yesterday I became famous on the net for it! Here's my tale, I swear its true.

Considered a D5000 so I could have a backup to my D300 that I could leave in the car without feeling completely paranoid about losing $3k+ if I got broken into. I read that BestBuy was gonna get em before anyone else so I headed out and picked one up on Friday night. When I got it home and unboxed it , er.... the box was empty. Called Best Buy back completely furious, it turns out they had unloaded mine as the floor model, so I ran back and got another copy.

Unboxing shots went up here:
D5000 Unboxing and test shots - a set on Flickr

I posted at a few of my favorite haunts that I had scored an early one, and by yesterday morning. This happened:
D5000hits on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

More later!

Er that should be 'NOW' 'net famous!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
So I'm sitting in a day-long tech rehearsal today for a play I'm designing sound for. It's a long gap between cues so I fire up NetNewsWire on the ol' iPhone and start checking my feeds. I see an article on Engadget about some guy who has early unboxing pics of the D5000 up on Flickr. And then I see the dude's Flickr name is "Kadath"...

Hey!! I know that guy!!!

Congrats on your net-fame, Sam!! Don't let it go to your head! ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
LOL. Sam, enjoy your 15 minutes. ;) :D

As for a backup camera, maybe I'll pick up a D300 (or its successor) at model clearance prices at some point (like the ~$800 that the D200 goes for nowadays) and relegate my D200 for backup duty at that point. For now, I still have my old D70 lying around collecting dust -- I'll probably end up passing that (plus the old 18-75DX) along to my daughter at some point since she's starting to develop an interest in photography...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Yah, that's a great deal indeed, especially for anyone who doesn't really need the extra stop of high ISO performance.

Definitely let me know when the D300 falls anywhere near that price. ;) :D

At one point, I thought I might want to move up to FF, but now, I'm thinking the DX format is probably plenty good enough for me for the forseeable future, especially w/ the advance that Nikon made w/ their 12MP CMOS sensor (along w/ ongoing advances in RAW processing). Seems like moving upto FF has its own share of drawbacks that require compromises unless one is willing to spend big $$$ (and lug bigger lenses) in the long run -- and actually need the extra quality offered to go w/ the shallower DoF.

I'm happy to just benefit from the sell-offs (eg. my newly acquired mint condition Nikkor 17-55DX f/2.8) and price reductions that are happening in the DX world due to other folks' migration to FF. :emoji_thumbsup: :cool: I played the early bird when the D70 and D200 came out, but now, I think I'm (hopefully) done w/ that game. ;) :D

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For me it's BOTH, tho i do not own FX yet. I WILL. But I won't give up DX to get there. Both have their advantages. And yes, that means lugging a lot of gear but I'm used to that already...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It is vastly outmatched in quality, flexibility and codecs by the canons, but still not bad. Hoping Nikon makes big strides video wise in fall 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks