1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D at the Drive-In!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Travis_W, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Travis_W

Travis_W Well-Known Member

This past July 4th I caught a screening of The Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D at the drive-in. It was at the Route 66 Drive-In in Springfield, Illinois. I was suprised to see how well the 3D was, although I think it would have been a little better in a closed environment. We were told that this was the first time the new print had been screened for audiences and you could tell. Besides a moment of one scratch this was the cleanest I've seen the film. Has anybody else seen this yet or seen other old favorites at drive-ins recently?

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Well-Known Member

Peter Apruzzese
    They ran a double-system polarized print of Creature at a drive-in (doubtful)? Or did they run an anaglyph (red & blue glasses) print? If it was anaglyph, then you really *haven't* seen Creature in 3-D, as the polarized version is spectacular.

I'm sure it was fun, though, as Creature is a good film.

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Well-Known Member

Maybe that's the print that's going to be shown at the 3D festival in Hollywood in September if it was polarized.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese
    I've never heard of a drive-in running polarized 3-D, but anything's possible.

5. Peter Kline

Peter,

Did you know that there was a drive-in that showed 3 panel Cinerama movies on a giant aluminum strip screen? Go here.

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese
    Thanks for the link - who would have believed Cinerama at a drive-in? You learn something every day. Damn, a 310-foot throw! I'd *love* to try and keep that focused every show - hope they had a telescope!

But considering how tight Universal is with rare prints, I can't imagine they'd send a drive-in a brand-new dual-system 3D print of Creature. I'm not even sure they're supplying the one for the CA festival.

7. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

There were drive-ins running dual-strip Polarized 3-D back in 1953/1954.

I'm pretty sure this new print from Universal is anaglyph. The print at the World 3-D Film Expo in September will be in the original Polaroid format. As Pete said, there is a world of difference in the quality.

Bob

8. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Well-Known Member

I saw the (rather poor) downconverted red/blue print of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 16mm at an outdoor venue a few years ago, and it was so dark you couldn't see a thing half the time.

These anaglyphs already ruin the films reputations, but showing them outside? Yuck!

I wonder if any drive-ins will be running SPY KIDS 3-D this summer since it is also using the low tech red/blue anaglyph format for the 3D sequences?

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Any time Pete. I've gotten that information from vintage trade magazines like Boxoffice, Exhibitor and Motion Picture Herald. They're a real goldmine of information from that era!

Bob

11. Travis_W

Travis_W Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe it was in 3D either. I doubt they showed it on two projectors though. Must have been an anaglyph print.

They had it double billed with 'The Matrix Reloaded'. Quite an odd double feature, eh?

12. Steve Phillips

Travis, anaglyph uses the red/blue glasses. If you wore those to watch it, as you very likely did, you would have seen a monochrome image with a pinkish tint.

Polarized presentations (either the dual projector or single strip versions, even some IMAX 3-D theatres) use clear gray lens glasses. A black and white movie such as CREATURE would appear in normal B/W 3-D.

A few of the older 3-D movies from the 1950's (usually the black and white ones) were downverted to red/blue anaglyph for re-issues, 16mm rentals, even TV showings. These newer prints were simple to exhibit, but usually looked awful!

I've seen both CREATURE and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 35mm and 16mm anaglyph a few times over the years. I think CREATURE fared better in the conversion, but still, it looked nothing like the original polarized version.

13. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

Every red/blue anaglyph conversion pales in comparison to the original dual-strip Polaroid versions, and that includes titles like Robot Monster, The Maze, It Came from Outer Space, Mad Magician, etc. As bad as the black and white conversions are, the color ones are even worse!

It's a shame that, for the past 30 years, the anaglyphs have been the only exposure people have had to see these films in "3-D."

I wish the field-sequential system would improve (and the copyright holders would get off their butts) and release these films in the original 3-D versions. What exactly are they waiting for? The buying audience for this material is not getting any younger.

Bob

14. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where else this will be screened (other than LA)? I'd love to see Creature in 3D.

15. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

John Steffens
    Here is the 3-D film schedule for L.A.

I can only go Sept 15th-17th(mon-wed)
    http://www.3dfilmfest.com/schedule.php

Looks like Hannah Lee will be worth checking out, becuase of this:

16. Steve Phillips

It is worth pointing out that the LA screenings of CREATURE (and the other flicks) will be in the original dual projector polarized versions. The inferior red/blue downconversions will not be allowed!

17. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

On those 3 days, I would strongly recommend Revenge of the Creature; Dangerous Mission (stunning in 3-D dye-transfer Technicolor[​IMG] Phantom of the Rue Morgue (great effects) and The Glass Web - a terrific film, and rare as anything in 3-D. It hasn't been revived since the 1950's, and this show will be its Los Angeles 3-D premiere! (It only played flat in the original playdates, where it was the supporting feature for Walking My Baby Back Home.)

Bob

18. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

John Steffens
    Bob,
    I'm seeing everyting on those three days that I'll be in L.A.
    Looking foward in seeing everything

19. Peter Kline

I know this about 3D but if anyone gets a chance to see HTWWW at the Dome running concurrently during the festival I recommend it particularly if you never saw 3 projector Cinerama before. Instead of stuff coming out of the screen, Cinerama (3 strip) pulls you into it! And the 7 channel sound is amazing (I was going to use awesome, but I hate that overused word). [​IMG]

20. JohnS

JohnS Well-Known Member

John Steffens
    Mr. Peter Kline,

Can you give me some info or a link as whenand times, that this will be playing