What's new

The Cosby Show - Season 1 Announced (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

The unfortunate fact is that most people don't know of or care about the difference between network airing and syndicated broadcast.

People wouldn't complain about the Potter book missing 20 pages, if they were unaware that it was actually supposed to have 20 more pages.

That's why I do my best to explain to people the difference between network broadcasts and syndicated ones.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
One minute of a 23 minute episode is actually a good chunk of footage. Add to it that there aren't many "quiet" moments in shows like this. There aren't scenes when the show slows down to take a deep look at Darlene getting over a break-up, or Roseanne quietly reflecting on something. It's a sitcom, so it moves fast. Cutting a minute requires snipping of a lot of moments, or full scenes.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
It might only be 1-2 minutes from more recent shows, but more like 4-5 from older ones, as there were less commercials then. And don't forget Hour long shows, which can be cut twice as much!

I don't need to "get over it" while companies put out product falsely marked "Complete". If the product was clearly marked "edited/adridged version" then at least people can make an informed decision to buy or not.

Fans might not be happy and might avoid the release, but at least there wouldn't be shady stuff going on.

You same people who say it is no big deal and to "just get over it" would scream bloody murder if a few minutes was missing from a MATRIX or STAR WARS movie and it was represented as being complete. Some of us feel all material, TV shows included, should get the same respect as movies, books and other media.

Also, don't think for a minute this missing material is freaking lost! 99.9% of it is still out there, and that excuse is nothing but PR spin...

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator
I am really MAD:angry: that the company hasn't even said why they released the edited episodes. Will they ever?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
They're cheap and lazy. A syndicated set will sell just as many units just because the majority of people won't be informed of the difference.

The only way to make a difference is to make ourselves heard.

The good thing about this is that TV shows are a genre of their own in a sense. The majority that are sold are to collectors. The majority of people buying certain titles are the types that WILL find out about this stuff... as opposed to a release of a relatively obscure film (Return of the Living Dead II having a different soundtrack) getting much attention.

It explains why even though more people watch CSI, it sold less sets than Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Those of us in the home theater community are the majority of who purchase TV DVD sets. The average shopper buys mostly movies, not television shows. So if we let them know that their primary audience is going to avoid these releases... they'll listen.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As a person who thinks that sometimes people whine over minor things (and occasionally shares the 'get a life' view), I will say that I feel that the edits on the Carsey Warner sets ARE legitimate gripes. It's pure laziness on CW's part. If it was one set and then they used the network versions on the rest of their shows, I'd say "It's lame that they did that but suck it up, at least they've fixed the problem."

However, CW seems to want to go to the absolute least amount of effort in order to make money. They just don't feel like doing slightly more work and getting the original version for fans of the show and the people who worked on it. Just being involved with an artistic endeavor (for lack of a better word), you would think that would want to present the original versions of their shows just out of respect for their and other people's work.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
Hey I just wanted to jump in on this.

As I've said before if a show comes out that's one of my fav's and it happens to be hit with syndication cuts, music issues etc I'll usually still get it because the show is the main reason I’m buying it and those other issues even though they suck aren't going to keep me from buying it. That's just me personally.

But for other people to be upset and not buy it is cool too and they don't need to get a life just because they want things a certain way. It's not too much to ask for shows to unedited and complete and honestly as this happens more and more it just gets sadder.

The one that I can't get is Casey Werner (who if you remember a few years ago was undecided because they wanted to go with a studio who would release the Best product.) Who knows what their reasons were? But I agree with others it would be nice to get an answer.

But anyways this is an issue where people are either going to be on two sides until this whole thing is resolved. The bottom line is this stuff is happening, it sucks and shouldn’t be happening why don't we agree to disagree and can decide for ourselves how we can go down each road without arguing with each other.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thread reopened, minus the last set of bickering exchanges. Anyone who cannot maintain a polite tone should leave the thread immediately. This is a general (and final) warning to all participants. Thanks for your cooperation.

M.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I think that in the grand scheme of things, everyone boycotting the release realizes that this is not important at all. Am I going to kill myself because The Cosby Show DVD set included edited episodes? Of course not. But I am disappointed with CW/UrbanWorks' decision to release edited episodes, so I can live without the DVD set. I respect anyone if they decide that the set is still worth it to them despite it being incomplete, and I hope that they can respect my decision to not buy it.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Although I don't buy the music cues thing for a second (that does NOT explain why syndicated versions were used), it is a little reassuring to read this:

Hopefully this person asks about a possible corrected reissue of season 1.

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone compared the original version with the versions on the DVD to see that no important moments have been lost???

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
That's (potentially) good news about future seasons. I just hope that the same goes for Roseanne.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
OK, once again, not only is this a slap in the face to the true fans of the show, but it is such a MISSED opportunity business-wise.
It's just bewildering. If the originals exist, why on earth would studios knowingly release cut versions of ANY show unless there were music rights issues? To save space on the discs themselves? I mean, the LOGICAL thing to do to get the average person to cough up the dough for TV shows on DVD would be to PROMOTE the fact that the versions on TV in syndication are edited. And if you someone wants them UNEDITED, buying the DVD set is the only way to go. Imagine this in say, a commercial....................
"Oooooh, honey! "The Cosby Show" is out on DVD! We HAVE to get this!"
"So what? It's on TV 5x a day. Why on earth would you want to buy it? I don't understand this whole TV on DVD phenomenon. Why pay for something we can see free anytime?"
" But look. It's UNCUT! There are scenes in these eps. that haven't been shown for years! It's my favorite show!"
"Well.... alright."

All marketing people, this advertising suggestion is on the house.

d

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Great news at TVShowsOnDVD.com. :)

Big :emoji_thumbsup: to Carsey Werner for correcting their mistake. I'd love a corrected season 1 but I'm very excited that we're at least getting the rest of it done correctly.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately, a lot of the general entertainment-buying public have very low standards. They will consume whatever is put in front of them.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan

I don't care if they release the following seasons correctly. If they don't give me S1 uncut, I'm not buying any further sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks