What's new

The Cosby Show - Season 1 Announced (1 Viewer)

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not going to pay $40 bucks for a tv box set that doesn't even look good and I look at the back of The Cosby Show: Season 1 box and they had three little still pictures and Vanessa didn't have the right color lips...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I see everyone talking about how the press release says the episodes are uncut, but where does it say that? It wasn't included in the press release I saw. Is everyone just going by the SitcomsOnline review, or have others seen the "episodes are uncut" in a press release?

Gord

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would argue that "these history making shows will get the proper treatment they deserve and will be a wonderful keepsake for all the fans who have been waiting for their release." means uncut.

But even if they never claimed they would be uncut, who cares? That's not the point. The point is that the cut, syndicated versions are cut, syndicated versions that many of us wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I guess I am wondering how "difficult" it is to get "original/uncut" versions of some of these shows.

Universal is a studio that does some things I don't like (double-sided discs), but is able to provide pretty decent transfers that are relatively unscathed (the biggest exception being music replacement).

When Cosby first entered syndication, stations were hoping they could "build" their non-primetime schedules around the show.

I recall a report in TV Guide that illustrated that the show wasn't as "strong" in its initial syndication run as they'd been hoping. In fact, numbers were quite a bit lower than they'd been anticipating.

There is a difference between "Seinfeld" and "The Cosby Show."

"Seinfeld" has a true "cult" following that will loyally buy the product. It took a long time to get that show on DVD...and they performed total restorations of the original prints.

I love "The Cosby Show," but I think it attracted a more "general interest" type of mass audience. It simply never had a cult following.

As I said earlier, part of me wonders if the syndicated prints had the "music rights" secured for potential video releases. I suppose we'll never know for sure.

Personally, I am disappointed the set isn't the original network run. I don't know how much it would have cost to get those eps.

Someone mentioned the Columbia House versions being the "originals." I guess my question is whether or not Columbia House released the show on VHS prior to DVD.

Do the little production companies have the budget/staff available to secure and transfer original masters?

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I just rented this from Hollywood Video and I'm going to it for myself and then I'll give my feel about them....

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Gord,

They both emailed the press release to us and sent it out with the test discs (before the actual packaged copy was sent out). I'll email you the press release. Here is the text of it:

AMERICA’S FAVORITE FAMILY RETURNS IN HIGHLY ANTICIPATED DVD FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER
THE COSBY SHOW: SEASON 1
Urbanworks Entertainment and Carsey-Werner Debut Twenty-Four Episodes In a 4-Disc Collectible Box Set
Premiering August 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA (June 2005) – Urbanworks Entertainment proudly presents the debut release of one of the best-loved television comedies of all time with the DVD premiere of Carsey-Werner’s THE COSBY SHOW: SEASON 1 on August 2, 2005. THE COSBY SHOW: SEASON 1 will be presented as a four-disc box set, including a special 12-page memorabilia book featuring extensive liner notes and rare photographs. The long-awaited set will be available for $49.99 SRP.
THE COSBY SHOW: SEASON 1 includes all 24 episodes of the first season on four discs, loaded with more than six hours of programming, including bonus features, bloopers and out-takes. The set also includes the 90-minute special reunion featurette entitled “The Cosby Show: A Look Back,” which aired on NBC in 2002. The discs will feature all original NBC network versions, including the pilot episode, which are approximately two minutes longer than the syndicated versions.

With collectible packaging and added features to provide families with evergreen access to their favorite episodes, series creator and star Bill Cosby explains, "The DVD allows you to view the show when you are ready. When you want to. When you are comfortable. That means any time you need it, you have it."
"We're thrilled to team with Mr. Cosby and Carsey-Werner to present the long anticipated DVD release of THE COSBY SHOW to scores of fans,“ remarked Jeff Clanagan, President of Urbanworks Entertainment. “THE COSBY SHOW will forever have a place in the hearts and minds of Americans, and we are proud to extend the legacy of this landmark show to the DVD arena."

Page Two – THE COSBY SHOW Premieres on DVD
About THE COSBY SHOW
Premiering September 20, 1984, THE COSBY SHOW was the brainchild of actor/comedian Bill Cosby. In the series, the Huxtable family was headed by Dr. Cliff Huxtable, an OB-GYN, and his wife Clair, an attorney. Cliff and Clair created a happy home in an upper-working class Brooklyn neighborhood for their five children, including Princeton student Sondra, high schoolers Denise, Theo and Vanessa, and the baby of the family, Rudy. As the series continued its successful eight-year run, the Huxtable brood grew larger integrating friends, spouses, and extended family members into the mix. Whatever the situation, Cliff and Clair always met each challenge with love and humor.
THE COSBY SHOW was an instant ratings smash, clenching the #1 position from 1985 to 1988, and remaining in the top 20 for the full eight years. Arguably, THE COSBY SHOW's most enduring appeal was Bill Cosby himself. The celebrated actor and educator propelled the Huxtable clan to the top of the television ratings, creating a cultural phenomenon with family-friendly entertainment that spoke to wide-cross section of viewers regardless of age, race or background.
The first season of the series features such memorable episodes as “The Shirt Story,” in which Theo has Denise remake a popular Gordon Gartrell designer shirt with hilarious results, and “Jitterbug Break,” in which the Huxtable family and friends have a dance face-off in the living room.
THE COSBY SHOW was honored with multiple awards Emmy Awards, as well as honors and nominations from the Golden Globes, Directors Guild, Viewers for Quality Television, PGA Golden Laurels, and Humanitas Prizes.
The Extra Features
THE COSBY SHOW: SEASON 1 includes the following special features.
•24 original season one episodes, including the pilot
•Exclusive, 12-page memorabilia booklet chock full of interviews and rare photographs.
•90-minute NBC 2003 reunion special, “The Cosby Show: A Look Back”
•Extensive bloopers and out-takes footage
•Select cast auditions

About UrbanWorks
UrbanWorks Entertainment is the undisputed leader in urban home entertainment, providing a diverse catalog of quality titles which cater to the $890 billion urban, consumer market. UrbanWorks created and produced the franchise, Platinum Comedy Series, which includes original, independent stand-up comedy programs starring Dave Chappelle, D.L. Hughley, Cedric the Entertainer, Steve Harvey, Mo’Nique and many others. UrbanWorks Entertainment’s President, Jeff Clanagan, President, served as producer and executive producer of the critically-acclaimed dramas, Lockdown (Columbia Tri-Star), Civil Brand (Lions Gate) and the hit independent comedy, Hair Show, which it also distributed.
Page Three – THE COSBY SHOW Premieres on DVD
About Ventura Entertainment
Ventura Entertainment Enterprises, a dynamic 12-year old home entertainment company is the parent company of Ventura Distribution, UrbanWorks Entertainment, StudioWorks Entertainment, Studio Latino, Ventura Select and Ventura International. Ventura Entertainment Enterprises is a full-service sales, marketing, acquisition, product development, manufacturing and distribution company for independent producers and studios.

About Carsey-Werner
Carsey-Werner (www.carseywerner.com) has been known globally for over twenty-years as one of the leading independent studios in the business. With current hit, “That ‘70s Show,” classics such as, “The Cosby Show,” “Roseanne,” “3RD Rock From The Sun,” and a library of enviable hits that include, “Grounded For Life,” “A Different World,” “Grace Under Fire,” “Cybill,” and “Cosby,” Carsey-Werner programs are seen and heard in over 175 countries and 50 different languages.

###

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's a different press release than I've seen kickin' around.

Lots of the syndicated releases come from studios that have licensed the show (Sony is the exception). Alf, Too Close For Comfort and Cosby were all licensed titles.

Gord

Videowack

Agent
OK....so do we know definitely whether they ARE or ARE NOT the syndicated prints vs. the NBC originals? I have yet to see anything in print anywhere that conclusively states without a doubt a simple "yes" or "no".

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I'm pretty sure the sitcomsonline review confirmed syndication prints :frowning:

R. Kay

Second Unit
syndication prints = studio laziness.

unfortunately, 98% of the people buying this could care less if its uncut.

Antonio_G

Stunt Coordinator
I watched it yesterday because I rented and I thought it was pretty good but I didn't like the into because it show everything twice in the intro but overall it's a pretty good...

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
At this point, everyone in the industry knows about this issue, and the fact that consumers very much want uncut episodes. If syndicated versions appear on a set, be 100% sure it is the result of a calculated decision: the money they save in production costs more than makes up for the sales lost. They are betting on consumers' ignorance. If they believe people don't care about 2 minutes of missing footage per episode, they'd put that info right up on the box. But since they want you to buy something they know you don't want, they hide that info and hope you don't realize the episodes are cut until after you have bought it. They are screwing us on purpose. And if someone bothered to sue for fraud and deceptive advertisement (Complete Season obviously implies nothing missing), the studio pigs would lose.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I bought Season 1 in complete ignorance of the syndication cuts. I really loved watching the shows, but I will not buy any future seasons unless they are the original, uncut versions or there is an unbelievably good explanation.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Who cares what version the show is? And who pays full retail for these DVD season sets? Doesn't anyone shop at Best Buy, Circuit City or Target? They sell these sets for right around $30. At Target, they sold the set for $32.99 plus they gave a $5.00 gift certificate bringing the price down to around $28. Yet some of you paid near full retail for them?

I work at Target and I also got my discount off of the set, giving me the set for $25. It really pays to shop around for a deal. I have all three stores in my local area.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

A lot of people!

I am amazed at how tolerant some can be with these syndicated abmoninations. If theatrical films were released to home video with edits, the outcry from these parts would be heard 'round the world.

In my view, TV shows should be no different. The only excuse for releasing cut episodes would be where the original elements are lost/damaged and replacement footage is not available or if holders of music rights are being unreasonable.

Any releases featuring edits should come with a prominent disclaimer stating the nature of the edits and how many episodes are affected.

Buying these half rate products only encourages more of the same. I wouldn't pay $20 for an edited movie or a book with chapters missing so why should I pay that kind of money for incomplete TV shows?

Allen_Kir

Stunt Coordinator

I bought it too. and I will also not buy other seasons if they aren't COMPLETE. hopefully they will realize that they can make more money buy giving us the whole episode and give it to us in the future. Unless some of you are sooo angry that even if you get a COMPLETE version you still won't buy it...

Jason Dixon

Agent
considering i was born in 1989 i didn't watch the show when they were new, so obviously i've seen nothing but the syndicated episodes, so i'm not sure it would be a big deal to me if the episodes are cut....

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen any of them full-length either, but I think it could be a big deal that there is missing footage that you will never get a chance to see.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
To me that's like saying "I've only ever seen _____*insert movie title* on TBS. So I don't mind buying a DVD with scenes cut out for time."

It's not what was created to be seen, and therefore damages the content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks