What's new

The Contender ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Anyone else watch last night? I just watched it on TiVo--what a fight!

Manfredo showed that he has the heart to come back and learn from defeat.

Alfonso showed some real class. I believe he could be a professional contender.

I like Sergio over Jesse next week and then Manfredo over Sergio in the final.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Alphonso needs to stay as a welterweight, as Manfredo was the larger fighter (middleweight), and also experienced as well. But, a helluva fight/re-match.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yes, what a great fight. IMO, Peter and Alfonso were the best technical fighters and they did not dissapoint. I felt really bad for Alfonso because he's an awesome fighter but so is Manfredo and unfortunately, one of the two had to go.

I thought all fighters were in the same weight class and if they're not, then that's kind of unfair to the smaller/lighter ones.

Sergio/Jesse is going to be another great fight but I believe that cut in Jesse's eyebrow is going to cost him dearly.

I heard the ratings for this show were not too good. Too bad because this is one of the best reality shows out there and bad ratings could mean that this is the only season they'll ever make.

Anyone know if there are plans for The Contender: Season 2?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, Contender is not on NBC's fall schedule and Sly says it probably won't return.

Hopefully they'll at least release this season on DVD.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I, too, just watched it via PVR. What a great fight! I agree with the other comments here. With all the recent great reality shows this season (The Amazing Race and Survivor) The Contender holds its own and it gets better each week. I'm looking forward to the two hour live final on Tuesday, May 24th!

Shows like TAR, Survivor and The Contender take away the bad taste in one's mouth known as "The Apprentice."

:laugh:

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Must be a requirement to watch this with a PVR... my family is addicted to this series. Without the PVR we wouldn't be able to watch it in Hi Def and still be able to skip through the "wonderful times between a fighter and his family"

(Mr. Barnett, that is getting to be just a little bit too lame now...)

Alfonso was my favorite (it's like bowling... sucks when your guy loses) but then again, it was predictable. Alfonso is good in short fights a.k.a. like amateurs. Until he realizes he is a professional he will be unable to step up to the next level.

Three items for Alfonso to work on...

a) Weight
b) Cardio
c) Muscle Mass.

Jesse will lose for certain and there's no way that Peter can take Sergio...

If Sergio screws up then Peter wins... Jesse ain't that good.

JasonB

Agent
Totally agree with you Steve. I think at this point it's Sergio's to lose but stranger things have happened (see #1 Daddy knockout :D ).

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Yep # 1 Daddy K.O. was one thing and one thing only - HORRIBLE corner strategy before the final round.

Who in their right mind tells your fighter to get in there and mix it up when the only chance your opponent has is for a K.O. to win.

He should have jabbed and stayed to the outside, never giving Jesse a clear look.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I don't know whether to root for Peter or not. Technically, he was the first one out. But at the same time, he's from the East coast, so I have to have some loyalty.

I'll be happy with the end result either way.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thought Jessie was going to pull off a comeback in the later rounds, but the Snake was tougher down the stretch in the last 2 rounds.

I think Peter should win, though, in the fight on Tuesday night.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
I don't understand why they picked Tuesday for the live final. What did they want to do, make sure they have bad ratings. Scheduling it opposite the American Idol live final just doesn't make sense. AI is in it's regular time slot while the Contender changes their's to go up against one of the highest rated shows on TV.

Mark

Hank_P

Second Unit
I'm glad it's on Tues. night, I hate/despise/etc. AI and usually watch a DVD on that night.. will gladly welcome a better show. You won't know who won AI till Wed. anyway, so watch a good fight, then tune in Wed. to see the winner of AI.

I think this will be a great fight. I'm favoring Manfredo.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I think this was a very lopsided match. Some of the slo-mo hits from Jesse on Sergio were really minor shots.

Probably live on a weekday because it's cheaper to book the arena at Caesar's Palace.

Bad move putting it up against the A.I. finale.

Peter needs a bit of luck... Sergio is in another league.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sergio will be coming in with 2 days rest. Peter will have had 9 days rest. That could be the equalizer. If the fight is more than 7 rounds, I give it to Peter.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While I don't quite understand NBC's reasoning for scheduling the final bout vs. American Idol (any more than I understand why they cancelled The Contender and are adding a second, Martha Stewartized Apprentice) the time slots are not a problem for me. That's why we have PVRs. I can't remember the last time I "watched" a show in real time.

The operative phrase is, "Zip-Zip." No commercials, no fluff.

;)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I like both Peter and Sergio and while I think Peter is a better technical fighter and a more powerful puncher, the fact that he LOST and was brought back doesn't sit well with me. I honestly don't know who to root for.

It seems like an evenly matched fight so it should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks