What's new

The consolidated thread for NYPD BLUE season 3 (1 Viewer)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I do think NYPD Blue might be affected by reruns so many times (2 episodes on TNT and 1 nightly episode on Court TV), but I think FOX could have bought ad space to let some Blue fans know the DVDs are out during a new episode of NYPD Blue.
I did see 1 ad for each set on ABC.

Up here, Bravo airs it during the weeknights, I think.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
One thing I'm curious about is, if the first set sold so poorly, why Fox proceeded to release the second season (at the same price, what's more). ... Is it that they thought the show might sell better with the Jimmy Smits years?

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I don't think the first few episodes of season 6 were that great.

Also, NYPD Blue doesn't air on Bravo, it airs on Court TV in the evenings.

I wish Columbia would release Caruso's other show that he did before CSI: MImai. It is a one season show called Michael Hayes.

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Season 1 is the greatest and at least having that and Season 2's Swansong of David Caruso is nice. The series had some lean years where things were pretty much on Auto Pilot. It definately hit a resurgence and got alot better after Rick Shroader left. I liked Rick but his character was badly Underwritten. I still think they would've been better served making Baldwin Jones Sip's new Partner, that would've been interesting. Also they Interviewed Bruce Campbell and I think he could've made for an interesting partner. THe Show was at it's best when they focused on Both Franz and Caruso's characters. And As much as Caruso was blamed for everything I still think Franz wanted to be in the Spotlight. If you watch the first season Franz was definately support for Caruso. Every Subsequent Season the Partner's got more and More in Sip's Shadow. Probably the reason why Smitz left.

Jim Pattison

Stunt Coordinator
What are DVD-18s?
A DVD-18 is a double-sided, dual-layer disc. When used for hour-long TV programs, it can typically hold four episodes on each side, for a total of eight episodes per disc. The Outer Limits episodes were released on DVD-18s.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled NYPD Blue thread.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I read (in this forum) season 2 of NYPD Blue didn't sell well and the other seasons might not see release to DVD in the near future, and this had been discussed in another thread weeks ago in this forum.

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
As far as network TV goes, NYPD has gotten buried by newer crime shows with fresher faces -- think CSI & CSI: Miami, Without a Trace, the Law & Order franchise, etc. NYPD is no longer a ratings champ and the same thing is happening to it on DVD: it's just flat-out getting buried by all these new DVDs being announced and released.

I personally don't think there's much excitement towards it anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if Fox waited until it was long forgotten before releasing future sets. That way they could at least promote it as "classic TV". For example: What would you rather have in your hands right now, a season 1 set of the "classic TV show" Hill Street Blues or season 3 of "NYPD Blue"?

Fox is one studio that tends to expect big sales figures in order to keep producing a show on DVD. If you can't make money off Mary Tyler Moore, how are you going to make money off showing Dennis Franz's butt?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm starting to get into Season 2, have these really sold Badly ? They are a great deal for $39 and 22 episodes (Listening Universal?)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Does anyone know what's happened to NYPD season 3 and, coem to think of it, other seasons for that matter?

Seems a stoney silence from all concerned at the moment.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I seem to remember hearing something about the sales not being what they hoped for and that they currently have no plans to release any more. A shame for such a groundbreaking show.

Ric

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
There is nothing more to add to what Ric said. There are earlier threads on this topic which can be found via searching. It would appear that NYPD Blue is NYPD Dead.

Steve

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Someone posted a link to a Fox e-mail address that was supposedly polling viewers about DVD releases to a Blue newsgroup. Against my better judgment (the studios tend not to pay much attention to e-mail, even when they solicit it) I dropped them a line. Here was their reply:

Hello,

Fox has no plans to release the title in question at this time. I will forward your request onto our corporate office so they can see what the public would like to see on DVD.

Thank you,

Fox Consumer
I'm not sure if a sudden flurry of purchases of the first two seasons and a lot of snail mail letters might help, but that's about all I think we can hope for. (And, obviously, the former would mean a lot more than the latter.)

I suspect the current cable-saturation scheduling is working against demand for the show on DVD. Two back-to-back episodes five days a week on TNT, plus two airings of the same episode on CourTV, both in their umpteenth rotation. I wish more people understood how badly cut these episodes are on cable and how worthwhile a DVD edition would be - and would understand that if the early seasons don't sell, there won't be any later seasons - so if you really like a show, buy now. (I'd like to use this as an example for all those who said, "I won't buy any of the B5 sets before they're all released". If enough people had thought that way we'd have one or two sets of that show too and all be crying in our beer about it.)

I personally bought both available Blue sets in the past two weeks because I'd rather have some of the show on DVD than none of it. And because maybe the horse will learn to sing. :) *

Regards,

Joe

* Those of you who know your Herodotus - or who have read Niven & Pournelle's The Mote in God's Eye - will understand that. ;)

Rob T

Screenwriter
I bought both soon after they were released.

It's weird that the fans managed to fight back Once & Again from permanently taking the Monday 10pm timeslot, but won't buy the sets to keep them coming.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Um... That's Tuesday at 10pm! Just out of curiosity... NYPD Blue had one or two 90 min. episodes. How have they handled that in syndication? Did they chop them up into hour long segments?

Ric

JeffDeem

Auditioning
Hello,
Has there been any news on more NYPD Blue seasons being released on DVD? It's been one of my all time favorite shows and I watch them all the time on TNT and Court TV, but I would love to get the DVD's of the rest of the seasons like 1+2. I'd really appreciate any information you may have on this. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks