What's new

The consolidated, all-in-one DUEL DVD discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Now that 2 people confirm this, we can assume it wasn't misheard & it seems obvious the WS has the full 4:3 frame & more.

I personally am pleased to hear this but still wish we had the choice of the shorter version, just like with Halloween, I prefer the shorter version than the drawn out extended version.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Now that 2 people confirm this, we can assume it wasn't misheard & it seems obvious the WS has the full 4:3 frame & more.
Make that 3. I've seen Spielberg's Inside the Actor's Studio episode twice, and this is how he described it.

M.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Paul, if you look close, you'll see the dvd is "backlit". I'm betting the image is from a trade flyer, or an online ad, and that the "From Spielberg" blurb was placed half on the dvd, half on the background image.
That's my guess anyway. :D
Dang I can't wait for this! I'd like both aspect ratios, but if I had to pick the time, I'd go with the 90 min version. No, the extra minutes probably don't contribute to the plot or character development, heh, but I'm a staunch lover of atmosphere, and this movie has atmosphere in spades. For those of you who don't want the long cut, you can just fast forward. ;)
Actually, I don't see why they can't give us the two via seemless branching. That may seem to be a hassle to the studio, but it sure would head off a lot of complaints.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, DVDPlanet has this to say about extras...

Special Features:

"Steven Spielberg On Making Duel"; "Steven Spielberg And The Small Screen" documentary; "Richard Matheson: The Writing Of Duel"; Photograph gallery.
Apparently, with the "Steven Spielberg And The Small Screen" documentary, it seems they'll at least address the issue, whichever way the movie is presented.

And an extra on Matheson? Kick ass! I hope that's a documentary as well, but I bet it's just a text based extra. Either way, that's way cool.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The shorter version is the better of the two, but if there's a decent extra with Richard Matheson on it, I'll pick the DVD up. Anybody else remember when Duel played theatrically in 1982 (or thereabouts)? It opened in New York City with a decent radio & newspaper campaign. Sank like a rock when people realized it was the TV movie and not a big-screen remake.

Apparently, with the "Steven Spielberg And The Small Screen" documentary, it seems they'll at least address the issue, whichever way the movie is presented.
More likely this will be about Spielberg's television directing career, mostly for Universal, which included Night Gallery and episodes of Columbo.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
yes I doubt he'll tackle this subject, more like a list of his TV work inc Band of Brothers.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Count me in for the 90 min version too. I've never seen the original 74 min TV cut, but I'm curious as to what was added to bring the time up from 74 to 90 minutes.

The cover looks respectable enough, IMO.

I'll definitely be getting this on 5/21.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I can understand why the marketing people went for the more "in your face cover", and actually, I don't mind it at all. This one will definitely be added to my collection. Great film. :emoji_thumbsup:

Fredrik E

Stunt Coordinator
Great news that this movie is soon available on DVD ! :)
I have waited a long time for this one, I posted a thread about it around 2 years ago, in the Studio Feedback area. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
--Update / April 22nd --
We're now a month closer to the May 21 release of this great Spielberg film.
A couple of odd things I've noticed while scouring the web for info on "Duel".....
No site I've looked at shows this picture to be in widescreen. All say 4:3 format. So WHY does the cover show widescreen I wonder? Odd.
Also....Take a gander at this Amazon page (its only page for Duel; they show an April 16 release date....but yet it's out of stock already). Amazon shows no info for a 5/21 release of the film, but I'm positive they had it listed under their 5/21 releases a few weeks ago. Now it's vanished. Very curious. ........
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...227835-1361529
Can anybody clear up these Duel mysteries??

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just noted a very cool bit of trivia concerning "Duel" (via Amazon)........
During the chase, a parked sedan resembling a squad car is seen, briefly raising Dennis Weaver's hopes, but it turns out to be a service car for a pest exterminator named Grebleips... "Spielberg" in reverse.
I wonder how many die-hard Duel fans ever noticed this one!! :)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
They obviously have been talking to Disney with respect to taglines:
Wasn't Snow White "The one that started it all"?
and E.T. had: "The call that started it all"?
Please get something more original:rolleyes

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Actually, if you take a look at my thread over at DVD Talk, you'll see that there is some evidence to suggest that the DVD has in fact been delayed or even cancelled. I hope this info turns out to be false, but something fishy is certainly going on.

Fredrik E

Stunt Coordinator
I sincerely hope it hasn't been cancelled. :frowning:
I just sent my first e-mail to a studio ! :)
Quote:
Hi !
I just want to ask you what happened to
the forthcoming DVD release of Steven Spielberg's movie "Duel". It was supposed to be released at the end of May 2002, but it is no longer listed as a pre-order at Amazon.com for example.
There are some rumours on the net that it has been delayed or even cancelled.
What happened ? Did you change the release plans ?
Thanks for any information !
Best regards, Fredrik Edoff, Sweden.

Hopefully they will send me an explanatory answer.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
It had damn well better not be cancelled! I've been waiting for a DVD of this classic for too long now, and if its cancelled, I'm gonna be one angry sucker!

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
Why would it be cancelled? I don't see any BTTF or Legend type problems.

Hoping it's coming out on time.

Duel is one of the few films that can actually keep you on the edge of your seat. I hated watching it on tv, with all those stupid commercials. Ruins the flow.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
DUEL is no longer listed anywhere on Universal's Business-to-Business website. It was there - along with cover art - a couple of weeks ago. I strongly suspect the title has been delayed or cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks