1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Conjuring

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tino, Jul 19, 2013.

1. shawnchan0620

shawnchan0620 Auditioning

rongjiang
    I will buy the Blu ray for this movie anyway. The best horror movie in 2013....

2. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Screenwriter

Simon Massey
    Really wanted to like this and after all the good reviews I was expecting a lot better.The cast is great and and I appreciated the slow build up Wan is going for, but I couldn't shake the feeling that this was a combination of many different and more effective moments from other films. Even the attempts to scare felt recycled - wasn't there a leg pull in one of the Paranormal films? That creepy tree looks like the one in Sinister? The ghostly reflection from countless others? Etc etc.Glad it worked for a lot of people but I was disappointed.

3. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    You're not crazy. I feel it is overused as well. I love that ratio with black and white, but for color I prefer 1.66:1. As that ratio is no longer in use, I think 1.85:1 is the most suitable for 95% of movies being made now, almost all of which are 2.35:1 anymore. Spielberg was reticent to use the Scope ratio (due to cropped t.v. presentations, maybe), and if other directors were more selective about using it, I think it would be more meaningful/impactful.

4. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I'm with Simon. I went to it expecting something chilling and I don't think anything in the film gave me goosebumps. In fact some of it just felt ridiculous - the hands coming out of the dark and clapping, for example. When I got home I looked up some message boards to see what people think and I was surprised to find a lot of people raving about it (but not everyone). I dunno. Maybe I watch too much horror.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Any film doesn't work for everybody!

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

These kind of movies are more enjoyable for me when they don’t make silly “based on a true story” claims. The minute I read that the “psychic investigators” in the movie are the same people who claimed that the fraudulent Amityville case was “real”, I tended to tune out.

7. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Those with Netflix can watch MY AMITYVILLE HORROR via streaming but the reason I'm posting it here is because Lorraine Warren takes part in the documentary. I must say that after watching this film I don't believe the stories about Amityville and I'd also highly question the events in this film. Still, fans of this film might want to check it out as her part comes around the 50-minute mark or a little later.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Being from same part of Connecticut as the Warrens, I'd listen to the Warren talking about their experiences on the local radio there since the early 70s. I don't believe any of that stuff, but it was still fun to listen them.