1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Complete "The Lord of the Rings: score - with 5.1 DVD

Discussion in 'Music' started by PaulP, Sep 24, 2005.

1. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

2. Manus

Manus Well-Known Member

I wonder how they're going to squeeze the 'complete score in 5.1' onto one single disc ? This is actually quite disappointing news as they had originally promised they whole thing on Dvd-A.For the sheer volume of music involved it would have made more sense.

M

3. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Well-Known Member

Well I am interested, any idea on price?

4. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

The 4th disc is a DVD. Considering the original film was put on one DVD with a DD 5.1 track, it would be child's play to put the score by itself (with no movie) on a single disc, if the format is just DD.

But the actual format info is not yet available. It's coming from the Warner group, so DVD-A is a possibility. Would a DVD-A rendition of the score fit in the space formally occupied by the film itself??

5. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

The score will probably be in DTS as well as DD 5.1 on the DVD I think. There will be plenty of space for it.

6. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I woudn't count on it; again, it's coming from the Warner group which is not big on DTS.

However, I would be happy to be wrong... [​IMG]

I just hate these announcements that leave out details.

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Well-Known Member

Paul
    A frustratingly detail-poor article/press release re what exactly is on that fourth disc: is it high rez or not? If so, what are the bit and sampling rates?

"5.1 Surround Sound in DVD format" is the kind of language that has started to populate the music landscape thanks to DualDisc. Until I see specs, I'll unfortunately have to assume that this is a lossy, Dolby Digital presentation of the score not high resolution.

This intimates that there are going to be "Compete Recordings" releases for Two Towers and RotK as well. As much time as has transpired since the original tease of DVD-As of the scores (or at least Fellowship), one would think they could just release all three at the same time.

Now I must wonder if they'll do a three-pack of just the fourth discs from all three releases only after the TT "Complete" streets, if that ever even happens.

Warner is largely not supporting DVD-A anymore. It would be very curious if they're now planning to pop up and release DVD-A versions of complete score recordings, years after they apparently scrapped original plans to do so.

Color me interested but skeptical,
    -p

8. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Well-Known Member

Well, Space is not an issue for DVD-Audio. Several DVD-Audios contain more than 180 min of music in 5.1, e.g. Bach Mattäuspassion (Harnoncourt, Teldec), Beethoven String Quartets op 18(Auryn Quartet, Tacet). So, yes, it would fit. It is rather a question of if they WANT to.

9. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

I'm quite looking forward to complete details. If this is to street on 11/22 then we should be seening something definitive very soon. I would've preffered a big box with all three complete scores (12 discs) though.

10. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Speculation is that they thought they could increase sales by releasing the complete scores in three parts rather than one big super-expensive 12-disc box set.

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Well-Known Member

Paul
    I think it's way late for that strategy if that's what they're thinking (and it probably is). If it takes HALF as long for the "Complete" TT to street as it's taken for us to move from the DVD-A news to this release, we'll see that "Complete" TT sometime in 2007. [​IMG]

They should release the big azz box and the three individual releases all at the same time.

-p

12. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Well-Known Member

I agree shame on them... Give the whole thing at once!!! All of it in dvd format...... Forget the cd stuff... You can already get that..... Lets have the DD 5.1 complete trilogy.......NOW

R!

13. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Well-Known Member

Not everything. The CDs are a subset of the whole score.

You could also say that you can get the score in 5.1 on the DVDs. Granted, there are actors talking over it, but it is there. [​IMG]

Jason

14. Rhett_Y

I know there are two cd versions that are out.. the regular and limited edition.. the leather bound ones... I know they say the leather bound cd versions are the complete scores...

so they say...lol...

R~

15. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Well-Known Member

No they don't. The TTT leatherbound edition has a track from Fellowship EE, but other than that I don't think any of them have more music (and none of them claim to be the complete score).

16. Rhett_Y

I stand corrected..... Oh well... i would still like to have them all at once thou......

R~

17. PaulP

PaulP Well-Known Member

This still isn't showing up on Amazon [​IMG] Anyone have any other links, for more details, cover, tracklisting, etc?

18. Paul.S

Paul.S Well-Known Member

Paul
    Bill H.'s comments today about the release don't reveal much more needed detail. There's a liner notes comment though:

-p

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I don't suppose the fourth disc (DVD) will be released separately, huh? That's too bad.

HERE'S the press release from Reprise. Sounds like its only going to be released with all four discs packaged together.

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

great news indeed