What's new

The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Reed Grele said:
FWIW, here are some screen caps from one of my favorite Avengers episode (The Winged Avenger).

Sources are the last USA DVD release compared with what is currently streaming in HD on Amazon.

The older DVD release has many instances of dirt and other imperfections which have been cleaned up considerably on the newer transfers.

The newer transfers also have better color, more resolution, and additional information on the sides.

If the new USA BD release is using the same transfers that Amazon is streaming, I shall be very satisfied indeed.

The old DVD is on top. The new Amazon HD on the bottom:

attachicon.gif
WA1OLD.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA1NEW.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA2OLD.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA2NEW.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA3OLD.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA3NEW.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA4OLD.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA4NEW.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA5OLD.jpg

attachicon.gif
WA5NEW.jpg
Errr eepp!!!

Looks good

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Millennium released the entire Invisible Man series (840 min or 14 hours) on 1 BD.
Incredibly, it doesn't look that bad (once they finally fixed the aspect ratio).

David Weicker said:
in regards to the S5 Blu-Ray, I'm wondering about the three discs. That would be 8 episodes (about 7.5 hours) per disc.Have we had a release with that much content per disc before? Could these be double-sided discs?
**I know Batman supposedly has a disc with 14 1/2 hour episodes - just under 6 hours, but this seems to be 1.5 hours more than that**

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve...O said:
This is also going to be a mega space saver vs. the mega Peel set.
Unfortunately, until the other Mrs. Peel seasons are released, I'll need to keep both--taking up even more shelf space.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
HDvision said:
They degrained for consistency.
All the grain. ?

Looking at the caps on the previous page it has that blur look that you get when you remove film grain, i wouldn't be happy with that, sure it's better than the dvd but, it seems lacking to me, any caps of the blu ray version online. ?

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Nope, I just can tell you because I know the person in charge and we talked a lot about it. I guess one will have to wait until the release to see the final results, but a 3 disc set doesn't bid well. It's not because it's 3 disc, it's because they probably went that route due to compressing it all on a 3 disc set not making any difference with the masters pictures wise.

I think they're direct 1080p masters (not 4K obviously), so one can only rejoice that we will finally be seeing those at a correct speed (no pal speed up) and in simili HD. It will surpass the DVDs from A&E, and the Optimum due to better resolution and correct speed. However, I would hold onto the Optimum as they have the original mono mixes whereas, this seems to be 5.1 only (and stereo downmixes as the iTunes version attest).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
HDvision said:
Nope, I just can tell you because I know the person in charge and we talked a lot about it. I guess one will have to wait until the release to see the final results, but a 3 disc set doesn't bid well. It's not because it's 3 disc, it's because they probably went that route due to compressing it all on a 3 disc set not making any difference with the masters pictures wise. I think they're direct 1080p masters (not 4K obviously), so one can only rejoice that we will finally be seeing those at a correct speed (no pal speed up) and in simili HD. It will surpass the DVDs from A&E, and the Optimum due to better resolution and correct speed. However, I would hold onto the Optimum as they have the original mono mixes whereas, this seems to be 5.1 only (and stereo downmixes as the iTunes version attest).
Thanks for the tip!!!

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
16:9 , 5.1 with no mono and 3 discs only . Certainly sounds like a release to miss.
The French and UK releases seem to be a more realistic 7 discs.
I suspect some of the A&E info is wrong anyway but it wouldn't surprise me if they slap the same old tatty 90's remasters onto Blu as they've not bothered to put the recent restorations onto dvd and they've had several years to do it . When they last released discs from the old versions the restorations had been available elsewhere for a considerable time.

At $20 for the US set it does sound as if you'll get what you pay for .

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I am happy to hear about the Blu-Ray releases. I still hope Lionsgate winds up releasing the Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition on DVD in Region 1.

Darby

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
Darby67 said:
I am happy to hear about the Blu-Ray releases. I still hope Lionsgate winds up releasing the Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition on DVD in Region 1.

Darby
Seems unlikely considering how long its been out elsewhere . but you never know.
The least I would expect are some dvd versions of the restorations of the Rigg and Thorson episodes once the Blurays are out ( assuming the Bluray versions are the restorations )

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
nigel19 said:
The least I would expect are some dvd versions of the restorations of the Rigg and Thorson episodes once the Blurays are out ( assuming the Bluray versions are the restorations )
I would certainly purchase those DVDs if they became available.

Darby

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
All I can tell is the HD masters were done in unmasked 4/3. Will ring my friend tomorrow to check it out but I doubt any release will be 16/9.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
HDvision said:
All I can tell is the HD masters were done in unmasked 4/3. Will ring my friend tomorrow to check it out but I doubt any release will be 16/9.
Thank you!!

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
nigel
Vahan_Nisanain said:
I'm confused. Nigel19 said that the new Blu-Ray will be in 16/9. But I thought it was established that it was a mistake, and that it will be at 4/3.
One would hope so but I think the current listings still show 16:9.
As I said - I suspect some of the A&E info is wrong

Not wanting to dampen the release anymore but the UK dvd collection of the filmed episodes seems to show more than we're supposed to see.
These days much is made of the fact that some 4:3 series , like Space 1999 are being brought to disc with extra picture info on all 4 sides but having recentluy watched all the filmed Avengers I lost count of the boom mics and specially shadows of boom mics that were visible at the edges of the image - as if it was not really intended for that to be seen.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That's the problem with all Open Matte transfers whether it be TV or Theatrical Films like Disney animated films, Universal 50's Sci-Fi, Hammer films or any other films presented Open Matte vs. The Original Theatrical Ratio. You always end up seeing things at the top and bottom you were not meant to see and don't get to see the film as intended and in the case of theatrical films you usually lose a small sliver on the sides you were supposed to see. This extra area of 4:3 TV adds a whole new layer to this.
nigel19 said:
One would hope so but I think the current listings still show 16:9.
As I said - I suspect some of the A&E info is wrong

Not wanting to dampen the release anymore but the UK dvd collection of the filmed episodes seems to show more than we're supposed to see.
These days much is made of the fact that some 4:3 series , like Space 1999 are being brought to disc with extra picture info on all 4 sides but having recentluy watched all the filmed Avengers I lost count of the boom mics and specially shadows of boom mics that were visible at the edges of the image - as if it was not really intended for that to be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks