What's new

The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
There is only one HD Avengers master by episode, so any new release will be sourced from those. Previous releases were SD only and those were the 1993 (or is that 1992 ?) Lumiere VHS masters.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
EddieLarkin said:
Is this HD master you speak of in 4:3 or 16:9?
Well according to TVShowsOnDVD.com the info retailers received from Lionsgate said the video is "widescreen." It could be incorrect. I hope so. But even if it proves true, I'll still get it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JohnMor said:
Well according to TVShowsOnDVD.com the info retailers received from Lionsgate said the video is "widescreen." It could be incorrect. I hope so. But even if it proves true, I'll still get it.
Technically, I guess, all blu is widescreen, but I hope that they pillar box it.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The masters are 4/3 I showed them my widescreen demo too late in the process.Yes they are same masters as used by optimum only at 24fps and in 5.1.You can sample them on iTunes USA they have the complete season 5.

DowneastBuffAlum

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
According to the Amazon page for the Season 5 BD, it's a 3-disk set with 1,327 minutes of content. Please forgive my lack of familiarity with the BD mastering and manufacturing processes, but that seems to me to be an awful lot of content for just 3 BDs. Is this do-able, especially at this price? Thanks much.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The masters look soft so my guess is you will get about the same quality as on iTunes. They don't need bigger space this restoration is 5 years old which is like 50 years in software progress.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Is the US getting the blu-ray edition before the UK? I was following the saga of the new UK DVDs a few years ago, but lost the thread after a while.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw the uk is getting season 4 on blu ray and the us is getting season 5?Blu ray.com has more info on both releases.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
in regards to the S5 Blu-Ray, I'm wondering about the three discs. That would be 8 episodes (about 7.5 hours) per disc.Have we had a release with that much content per disc before? Could these be double-sided discs?

**I know Batman supposedly has a disc with 14 1/2 hour episodes - just under 6 hours, but this seems to be 1.5 hours more than that**

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
David Weicker said:
in regards to the S5 Blu-Ray, I'm wondering about the three discs. That would be 8 episodes (about 7.5 hours) per disc.Have we had a release with that much content per disc before? Could these be double-sided discs?

**I know Batman supposedly has a disc with 14 1/2 hour episodes - just under 6 hours, but this seems to be 1.5 hours more than that**
Great question!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I pre-ordered this but am concerned about the amount of content on each disc as well as the "widescreen" notation. Hopefully the latter is in error and these are the original 4x3 as originally broadcast. Kudos to Lionsgate for including English subtitles which the DVDs did not. For $20 I am willing to take a risk on so many episodes on each disc.

This is also going to be a mega space saver vs. the mega Peel set.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Osato said:
I saw the uk is getting season 4 on blu ray and the us is getting season 5?Blu ray.com has more info on both releases.
No, season 4 is a French release, nothing (so far) announced for the UK, as far as I can see. I'm sure it will all be.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
HDvision said:
The masters look soft so my guess is you will get about the same quality as on iTunes. They don't need bigger space this restoration is 5 years old which is like 50 years in software progress.
Thanks for the info!! Is there any information about extras?Are you saying the transfers are disappointing?I thought the 50th DVD set was a huge improvement over my 90s A&E set.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
FWIW, here are some screen caps from one of my favorite Avengers episodes (The Winged Avenger).

Sources are the last USA DVD release compared with what is currently streaming in HD on Amazon.

The older DVD release has many instances of dirt and other imperfections which have been cleaned up considerably on the newer transfers.

The newer transfers also have better color, more resolution, and additional information on the sides.

If the new USA BD release is using the same transfers that Amazon is streaming, I shall be very satisfied indeed.

The old DVD is on top. The new Amazon HD on the bottom:

WA1OLD.jpg

WA1NEW.jpg

WA2OLD.jpg

WA2NEW.jpg

WA3OLD.jpg

WA3NEW.jpg

WA4OLD.jpg

WA4NEW.jpg

WA5OLD.jpg

WA5NEW.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread