1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mauro Colella, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Well-Known Member

Vahan_Nisanain
    If there'd be a Blu-Ray here in America, would they be able to include the surviving season 1 episodes, and all of seasons 2 & 3 on there?

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Well-Known Member

Joel Henderson
    Seasons 1 (or at least what exists of it)-3 are kiniscopes and rather shoddy quality ones at that (the legend goes that Associated British outsourced them to a French company that didn't know what the hell they were doing). There's no point putting them on blu-ray.

3. mongosito

mongosito Active Member

Ben
    Bluray would be for the filmed series alone but should they opt for a complete boxset there would be no reason not to add the VT episodes on dvd's .
    In the UK Network often include dvd's of special features within Bluray boxsets like Warner often do with their larger boxsets.

I think any UK Bluray will be for Peel and King episodes only

4. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    I wonder if future UK Blu-Rays will be in its original speed and original mono? I heard regions like Europe no longer have PAL speed-up. Is that true?

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Well-Known Member

Joel Henderson
    PAL standard only applies to SD mediums. Once you move into the HD realm, all the benefits of PAL (higher resolution from more lines in the video source after 1969) and drawbacks (its too fast) disappear.

That said, most British and European television programs of the time made on film were shot at a slightly faster framerate of 25fps using 16mm cameras to make them easier to adjust to the PAL framerate. In HD this has meant either they have to be interlaced or slowed down ironically to the 24FPS standard ala Criterion's releases of Berlin Alexanderplatz and World on a Wire. However As far as I know The Avengers, The Saint, and The Prisoner do not suffer from this problem having been shot on 35mm purely for the purposes of foreign export.

6. mongosito

mongosito Active Member

Ben
    The UK dvd's are in mono as were the US discs from A and E .

7. mongosito

mongosito Active Member

Ben
    PAL - or 625 line tv started in the UK in 1964 on BBC2 although it was 1969 before the main channels started to change over to it when they went into colour.

With the exception of the ITC shows like The Saint , Danger Man ( and many others) and a couple of ABC series like The Human Jungle and The Avengers UK series made on 35mm were non existent.
    ITC shot on 35mm from the start of ITV in 1955 with Robin Hood but as you say , this was for the convenience of exporting to countries using incompatible systems .

Apart from those shows the number of series made on film entirely is also very few.
    The BBC usually shot on tape and used 16mm for exteriors but rarely was anything all film.

Euston Films , part of Thames used 16mm purely because it was cheaper and the BBC also used 16mm because it was cheaper and did some all film series in the 70's , many of which were co-funded by European broadcasters.

As far as I am aware none of the all film series were shot at 25fps . They were standard 24fps and like US imports were speeded up for UK consumption .
    When Network released The Sweeney which was made on 16mm one of the things they looked into was the possibility it was 25fps - but it wasn't.

Space 1999 was also shot at 24fps - which meant that before production started Gerry Anderson ensured that the numerous monitors on show in Moonbase Alpha were adjusted to 24fps to avoid the onscreen interference you would get shooting 25fps UK monitors at 24fps.

8. HDvision

HDvision Well-Known Member

David
    Thanks, it's funny internet says Space 1999 was shot at 25fps --

9. mongosito

mongosito Active Member

Ben
    In The Space 1999 Documentary Gerry Anderson makes a point of mentioning the need to adjust the monitors in order to stop interference. And the Bluray is 1080/24p

10. HDvision

HDvision Well-Known Member

David
    Yes, I was just pointing out many forumers get it wrong :)

11. mongosito

mongosito Active Member

Ben
    Maybe they expected the Bluray producers to do it at 25p because that's how non US viewers have been watching it for over 30 years.
    Although that could beg the question about whether 24p or 25p is the true intended version .
    I would say that in 1973 nobody would have cared about such things

12. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Osato likes this.
  13. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    *Prays for original mono*

14. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Well-Known Member

Peter Fitzgerald
    Yes, Season 5 is the first color season.

Looks like Lionsgate is doing with Blu-ray what A&E Home Video did when they first released The Avengers on VHS and DVD in the late 1990s, starting with the color Diana Rigg episodes first. If Lionsgate follows the same pattern (if the color Rigg set sells well), then I imagine they'll go back and tackle the black & white Season 4 with Rigg, then the color Season 6 with Linda Thorson, then maybe the early videotaped material with Ian Hendry, Honor Blackman, et al. Or maybe they'll do The New Avengers, if they have the rights and the HD masters to tackle that.

At this point, I'd be interested in the two Diana Rigg seasons, and maybe the Thorson shows, all of which could use a Region 1/Region A upgrade over the old A&E DVDs. I have all the other stuff on DVD, and am content with that.

15. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? ? $20.99 for this?? $old!

Will Krupp likes this.
  16. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Well-Known Member

Jason
    Would that Batman could be so cheap! ^_^

My last purchase of The Avengers was a French set in 2005, so I'm definitely ready for an upgrade, especially at this price.

17. Ethan Riley

Maybe it's so cheap because Avengers has been on home video so much, and Batman hasn't at all. Ditto Little House on the Prairie. They're asking 17.99 for season three.

18. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Well-Known Member

Reed Grele
    Osato likes this.
  19. Ethan Riley

This particular season is very, very high on my holy grail list.

Will Krupp likes this.
  20. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain
    There is worry that it will use the exact same masters, and not the remastered ones from the UK