What's new

The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Hopefully nearer the release date we'll see some reviews and get an indication of how the discs in the sets play.
How many sets are you ordering?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Yes, Amazon don't show the VAT sales tax as a separate charge until you get all the way through the checkout process. They do correctly remove it for non-EU customers

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Actually, they show the correct (ie non-VAT) price for the items when you first sign in for the checkout, rather than at the end.

Still going to wait until someone else has actually received and looked at this set. Hopefully the discs will be correct, but judging from past performances by Optimum would prefer to let someone else find out first.

Michael Fett

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
Originally Posted by westumulka
Actually, they show the correct (ie non-VAT) price for the items when you first sign in for the checkout, rather than at the end.

Still going to wait until someone else has actually received and looked at this set. Hopefully the discs will be correct, but judging from past performances by Optimum would prefer to let someone else find out first.
Well Ive ordered the set myself, but problem is from a place like Amazon they allow reviews from people who did not buy the set and early reviews before the product is out. Plus reviews pop up from earlier releases so you wont get an accurate idea from them. Every company makes their mistakes they owned up to it in this case and released fixed discs and backed up the release of this boxset to ensure it is fixed. Stuff happens and they fixed it case closed.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
I would usually wait until I see reviews on sites other than Amazon before making a decision about this set (And certainly wouldn't judge on reviews prior to the official release). A great site to check is this:
http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showthread.php?36323-The-Avengers-Replacement-DVDs-Thread-index

Usually the errors found in the individual sets are found pretty quickly and reported there.

Possibly you could contribute a review to this site once you receive it?

I'm sure that the complete series will have all the corrected discs; but like others who have purchased some (or all) of the individual sets: I will wait until I get confirmation that the complete set does indeed contain all the corrected discs.

Michael Fett

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
I can do that thanks for the link. You'll probably see reviews up before mine because it will take two weeks to get to me.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
It was released last Monday (5/9). I decided to chance it and ordered the complete set figuring that all replacement disks would be included. I haven't received it yet but looking forward to it being delivered sometime next week. Maybe we will start seeing reviews soon. I'll check out that link posted earlier to find out what issues to look for.

I sold off my Emma Peel early A&E sets a month or so back. They were the first TV on DVD sets that I ever purchased way back in the late 90's. I'm looking forward to checking out the improvements.

Edit: I checked the link provided by Wes and it looks like someone received an early copy and confirmed by the version markings on some of the disks that all the fixed disks were included. I already have 10 clear standard width DVD cases that hold 4 disks each waiting in the wings to replace the ill-designed complete collection upon arrival. Hopefully, no disks will have been marked up during assembly.

Michael Fett

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
Originally Posted by smithb
It was released last Monday (5/9). I decided to chance it and ordered the complete set figuring that all replacement disks would be included. I haven't received it yet but looking forward to it being delivered sometime next week. Maybe we will start seeing reviews soon. I'll check out that link posted earlier to find out what issues to look for.

I sold off my Emma Peel early A&E sets a month or so back. They were the first TV on DVD sets that I ever purchased way back in the late 90's. I'm looking forward to checking out the improvements.

Edit: I checked the link provided by Wes and it looks like someone received an early copy and confirmed by the version markings on some of the disks that all the fixed disks were included. I already have 10 clear standard width DVD cases that hold 4 disks each waiting in the wings to replace the ill-designed complete collection upon arrival. Hopefully, no disks will have been marked up during assembly.
I know of two people who recieved their sets and every disc is a fixed disc. Yes Alan was given an early copy to confirm this and ease people's minds about ordering this set. Mine shipped last week, but still has not arrived in the states yet.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Michael Fett
I know of two people who recieved their sets and every disc is a fixed disc. Yes Alan was given an early copy to confirm this and ease people's minds about ordering this set. Mine shipped last week, but still has not arrived in the states yet.
Still waiting on mine as well. Now the only concern is the potentially dreadful packaging and damaged disks upon receipt.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Yes, the discs look as though they're in card sleeves - like the awful Simpsons sets (and incidentally it looks like that big Smallville set is going the same route). I doubt if they're as bad as the dire Wild Wild West Complete set though!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Well...received my set today. Packing was slim but the product was received in excellent condition. About the disks, boy are they packed in there tight. Since I knew they weren't ever going back in once removed I was tempted to just rip the pages open rather then attempting to pry them out of those sleeves. But I didn't since I wanted to keep the original packaging, just in case.

All but a few had minor scuff marks toward a single edge, and a couple had minor scratches. Nothing that would interfere with playback though, and not worth sending back when the next set would likely be the same. After a quick preview of an episiode from each season I can say I am satisfied with the overall product.

Michael Fett

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
Well...received my set today. Packing was slim but the product was received in excellent condition. About the disks, boy are they packed in there tight. Since I knew they weren't ever going back in once removed I was tempted to just rip the pages open rather then attempting to pry them out of those sleeves. But I didn't since I wanted to keep the original packaging, just in case.

All but a few had minor scuff marks toward a single edge, and a couple had minor scratches. Nothing that would interfere with playback though, and not worth sending back when the next set would likely be the same. After a quick preview of an episiode from each season I can say I am satisfied with the overall product.
My set arrived today at work. I have not had a chance to watch any episodes, but have closely examined the packaging. Now this not the first set I have seen packaged simular to this, but the packaging does stand out for both good and bad. The negatives the discs are extremely packed in tight and hard to get out and I have only tried one disc so far. The spine are itself is very thin and at areas feels like it wrapped with wrapping paper and easy to rip by the looks of it. After I put my discs in a cd booklet I will not use the package itself again as a result of this. Positives it is one of the nicest looking boxes inside and out with over 37 production stills across the entire set from across the booklet style it was made. Overall Impression - D. Great looking package that serves little functional use of keeping your discs in there and protecting them.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Brad and others,

Thanks for the feedback on this set. I held off on getting previous releases of this series. This one sounds like it'll be a buy at some point.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I've already made replacement covers using the images available from DVD Profiler of the individual R2 series sets (that someone else scanned and uploaded). And my disks are now safely tucked away in 10 standard size cases (4 disks a piece). I'll put the original box in storage just in case I have a use for it down the road.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
It's 3 years later so I would say probably no .
Maybe A and E want to have their next Avengers release as Bluray like it should have been in the UK for the Emma Peel and Tara King episodes.

Why not get a multi region player and buy the R2 edition?

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The Avengers season 5 is in HD on iTunes US

http://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-avengers-season-5/id850568044

It includes both stereo and 5.1 remixed tracks. There's no original mono you would have to buy the optimum DVDs for that.

EDIT. It seems the 1080p do have now the 5.1 option. However not one of the episode is at an exact ratio, they vary from 1.31 to 1.32 to 1.34 format

mongosito

Agent
Real Name
Ben
The UK complete set has been repackaged by Studio Canal. I've not seen it in the flesh but apparently the discs are removed easily without the difficulty of the original version

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I would love to own a complete series release on DVD. The Emma Peel Megaset is fantastic.

Darby

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks