What's new

The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Mauro Colella

Auditioning
Real Name
Mauro
a8aec624_51RryKsughL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Avengers-50th-Anniversary-DVD/dp/B00485D7WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291056792&sr=1-1

Anyone hear whether this set is coming to our shores? Tnx.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I doubt it. It's from Optimum and I don't think they do r1 stuff.

In any case, their releases of the individual seasons have been plagued with problems - the first ones had bits of the episodes missing, and the latest one seems to have serious problems with the sound. Everything is pitched too high, and Steed sounds like he's been inhaling helium.

The previous errors caused Optimum to release fixed discs, but so far they are "investigating" the sound issue.

In an email they said that the Complete set would feature the fixed versions of the earlier sets - but of course the current one remains an unknown.

However, it was originally scheduled to release on 6th December - same day as the final season set - but has been since put back to at least Febuary, and possibly later.

With luck this will give Optimum time to produce fixed versions of all the errors so that the Complete set will be free of them.

It's very nice looking, although it looks suspisciously like the discs are residing in card sleeves inside. They never learn!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I wouldn't go near it. Plus we've had enough standard def releases. It's time for them to move onto bluray for the Avengers. Can you just imagine something like Season 5 with Emma Peel in high def catsuit glory, and in living colour?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Optimum have released fix discs which correct the pitch problems associated with their S5 set.

They confirm that the large boxset WILL contain all fixed edition discs.

People should note that these releases despite being "only" standard def are a HUGE improvement on all previous editions.

The downside is that yes, those are discs inside cardboard sleeves. Just like the horrid Simpsons sets.

I have the A&E ones which were released in the very early days of DVD. Back then they won praise because they were so much better than anything else - but by contemporary standards they are pretty poor. And in some episodes just plain awful!

Any BluRay release pretty much depends on CanalPlus. And look how long it;s taken to get around to a decent edition of standard DVD!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I've never bought any of this series' earlier releases so this one sounds interesting. This is the complete series, right?

That Region-Free player keeps paying off dividends for me.

Mauro Colella

Auditioning
Real Name
Mauro
Thing is, I have the Emma Peel Megaset so I'm interested in getting the entire series. The image quality of the first couple of seasons is rather poor quality from what I see on my DVDs. How much better would the IQ really be with the Avengers on Blu-ray? If the entire series was done on film, then yes I do agree that BR would enhance both the IQ and the interest to wait for such a set. If not, then this Anniversary Edition may be as good as it ever gets, for now.

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley
I wouldn't go near it. Plus we've had enough standard def releases. It's time for them to move onto bluray for the Avengers. Can you just imagine something like Season 5 with Emma Peel in high def catsuit glory, and in living colour?

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
I've never bought any of this series' earlier releases so this one sounds interesting. This is the complete series, right?

That Region-Free player keeps paying off dividends for me.
Yes, it's all of the episodes still in existance

The only thing not in it is The New Avengers

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
"How much better would it look on BluRay?" depends so much on what is used as the master. I'll re-iterate, the latest releases here in the UK are a *massive* improvement on the A&E releases.

Those A&E's come from the start of the DVD era, when it was possible to impress without doing any restoration etc because just putting them on DVD looked way better than anything previously available on home video.

Looking at them now, they are just not up to the expectation. There is an awful lot of dirt, damage etc

All of this is removed on the releases from Optimum. The show has never looked so good. Even though it's "only" standard DVD.

Until and unless there's a BluRay - this is as good as it;s going to get.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Really only the Rigg and Thorson seasons are likely to benefit from a move to blu-ray. Honor Blackman's run is all on kiniscope and is likely never to look any better..

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
Really only the Rigg and Thorson seasons are likely to benefit from a move to blu-ray. Honor Blackman's run is all on kiniscope and is likely never to look any better..
The only way those early seasons (before Rigg) would look better would be if VidFIRE or LiveFeed were used to restore the shot-on-tape look to the picture as was done with the 1960s episodes of Doctor Who (unless that's already been done: I must confess I don't own any Avengers).

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Anyone based in the US (or anywhere outside of the EU) should remember that this set will be considerably cheaper for them, as it will have the VAT sales tax deducted which at the moment is 20%.

Amazon definitely deduct this tax correctly.

It should reduce the price by, very approximately, US$40

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Considering the problems that Optimum have had with releasing the individual sets, I think I shall most definitely wait a while for this one... Certainly until it has been 'tested' out by others

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
There's nothing new in this set though. As far as discs are concerned, it simply comprises the ones that were issued in the seasonal sets. Fixes have been done for all of those, and the complete set will only have those fixed discs.

The only possibility of a new problem might be in a rumoured extras disc sunique to the complete set.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Nebiroth said:
/forum/thread/306288/the-complete-avengers-50th-anniversary-edition#post_3779255
There's nothing new in this set though. As far as discs are concerned, it simply comprises the ones that were issued in the seasonal sets. Fixes have been done for all of those, and the complete set will only have those fixed discs.

The only possibility of a new problem might be in a rumoured extras disc sunique to the complete set.
I'd like to hear from someone that has this set before I buy it. Release date is March 7th according to the Amazon UK link page.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Four of the five individual sets released have had replacements issued for some (or all) of the discs - so I would most definitely suggest waiting!

As mentioned above, there are suggestions (and one of the reviewers for a magazine which has received an early copy of the set confirmed it) of a bonus disc which has material not already on the individual series releases. There are also rumours (and these seem to be speculation at the moment), that there could be a blu-ray release somewhere down the line.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by westumulka
Four of the five individual sets released have had replacements issued for some (or all) of the discs - so I would most definitely suggest waiting!

As mentioned above, there are suggestions (and one of the reviewers for a magazine which has received an early copy of the set confirmed it) of a bonus disc which has material not already on the individual series releases. There are also rumours (and these seem to be speculation at the moment), that there could be a blu-ray release somewhere down the line.
I'm actually gonna hold out, just in case there is a blu-ray next year or whatever. That's what I really want, and I can wait a year or whatever. I just think season 5 would be stunning in hi-def. They'd probably not even do the whole series in hi-def because the first 3 won't really benefit that much. So maybe a release of just seasons 4-6, and maybe the New Avengers. I don't think anyone would freak out that they'd be skipping seasons, because all Avengers fans are aware of the situation with season one--that it barely exists in the first place :(

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Perhaps the waters could be tested with a release of the complete Emma Peel years in blu-ray? I, for one, would welcome the smaller packaging (and shelf space) in addition to the higher resolution.

Michael Fett

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebiroth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone based in the US (or anywhere outside of the EU) should remember that this set will be considerably cheaper for them, as it will have the VAT sales tax deducted which at the moment is 20%.

Amazon definitely deduct this tax correctly.

It should reduce the price by, very approximately, US$40

Thanks for the info. This sounds more and more like I'll be getting this set eventually but the price is over my budget for this one at present. According to Amazon UK the pre-order price (less shipping to the U.S.) is £143.93 = $231.81 U.S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebiroth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd like to hear from someone that has this set before I buy it. Release date is March 7th according to the Amazon UK link page.

Nebiroth was trying to say it is cheaper than the price listed if you are having it shipped outside the U.K. say to the U.S.. That price listed 143.93 in pounds includes the VAT. To get the real price of the set say if you live in the U.S. like myself put the set in you cart and go all the way through the checkout process until the very final step of finalizing the order after providing credit card, address it needs to go to it reviews all the orders on last time it reduces the price if your outside the UK and says place your order. Ill show you a portion of my order.

Items Ordered

Price

1 of: The Complete Avengers 50th Anniversary Edition [DVD] [DVD]
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

£119.94

- 1 item(s) Gift options: None

1 of: The New Avengers (8 Disc Collector's Edition Box Set) [DVD] [1976] [DVD]
By: Patrick Macnee, et al

£18.18

Items Ordered

Price

£119.94

£18.18

Items Ordered

Price

£119.94

£18.18

Items Ordered

Price

£119.94

£18.18

Items Ordered

Price

£119.94

£18.18

Item(s) Subtotal:

£138.12

Postage & Packing:

£4.07

-----

Total Before VAT:

£142.19

VAT:

£0.00

-----

Total:

£142.19

Gift Certificate Amount:

£142.19

-----

Grand Total:

£0.00

This is what Im paying for the Avengers and New Avengers to ship to me the day it comes out to the US and as Nebiroth pointed out it reduced the price by almost 25 pounds for the avengers set it looks as if the price is cheaper now for the New Avengers so I'll cancel that off my order and order it seperately at a cheaper rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks