What's new

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I never assume . We all know what happens when you assume .

One way or another . I will be keeping my fingers crossed . I also hope DD is going to be involved . Might bring the prices down a bit .

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Camps

What are these Sony guys going to do about the listing on Critic's Choice's site if they don't want us talking about them here...?

That's Sony's problem. I'm sure they are taking care of it. CC and DD jumped the gun - which is odd that BOTH of them did at the same time,so what is up with that? Someone clearly issued the solicitations too early.

[COLOR= #f00]This is Ron's place and I agree that the specific information posts should be removed. [/COLOR]

Got to keep the studios happy :)

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
While we're waiting for this announcement, what are plans for Actor themed boxsets after Rita Hayworth? How About:

Early Anthony Hopkins: The Looking Glass War, Hamlet, Young Winston, The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case, The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Early John Wayne: Range Feud, Arizona, Maker of Men, Two-Fisted Law, Texas Cyclone

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind a "Joan Crawford At Columbia" set: THEY ALL KISSED THE BRIDE, HARRIET CRAIG, AUTUMN LEAVES, STORY OF ESTHER COSTELLO and BERSERK! All of which have never seen DVD releases (at least in region one).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Thomas T

I wouldn't mind a "Joan Crawford At Columbia" set: THEY ALL KISSED THE BRIDE, HARRIET CRAIG, AUTUMN LEAVES, STORY OF ESTHER COSTELLO and BERSERK! All of which have never seen DVD releases (at least in region one).

Sounds like a good set to me.  

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I am hoping for a release of The siege of firebase gloria as well as the stone killers.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I don't think they have the rights to The Siege of Firebase Gloria. The Stone Killer brings up an interesting idea though;

Charles Bronson collection: You Can't Win 'Em All, The Valachi Papers, The Stone Killer, Breakout, Hard Times(widescreen)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by kingfish

I am hoping for a release of The siege of firebase gloria as well as the stone killers.

I believe that MGM owns the home video rights to The Siege Of Firebase Gloria through their acquisition of the Fries Entertainment library back in the 90's.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre

Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

So is the New Hollywood set with Head, etc. no longer on the slate for release??

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/769-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sony doing a deal with Image, licensing titles to Criterion, and the upcoming Project That Must Not Be Named; unless I'm very much mistaken, Sony's reign as King of The Catalogue Releases may be coming to an end...

And I do hope that I'm mistaken.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
What about the iron triangle, platoon leader, the human shield, pow the escape, and escape to athena?

walter o

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by kingfish

What about the iron triangle, platoon leader, the human shield, pow the escape, and escape to athena?

All but ESCAPER TO ATHENA is controlled by MGM. ATHENA is with Lionsgate.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Sony's MOD feature is called: “Screen Classics by Request”

They announced on their Columbia Classics page:

Ever have that frustrated feeling when you search for a favorite film[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)],[/COLOR] only to find out it’s never been released before on DVD? Or[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)],[/COLOR] are you one of those folks holding on to your ancient VHS tapes, waiting for the day the more streamlined DVD will be released, so you can clear out space on your shelves? Well, we know how you feel.

Starting mid-September, you’ll be able to purchase some of those hard to find titles, direct from Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. DVDs of classic movies and hard[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)]-[/COLOR]to[COLOR= rgb(31, 73, 125)]-[/COLOR]find, and/or never before released on DVD titles will be available as “Screen Classics by Request”. All titles use the best quality masters available. We’re unveiling an update on our website so you can search for and buy these titles. Take a look at some of the exceptional, award-winning and cult favorite titles you’ll now be able to own:
A Study in Terror –Sherlock Holmes vs. The Ripper!

No Greater Glory- A Frank Borzage Classic

Pumpkin Eater – Harold Pinter’s take on motherhood, 60’s style, with Anne Bancroft and Peter Finch

Footsteps in the Fog –British gothic with Jean Simmons and Stewart Granger

Genghis Kahn- Omar Sharif stars in the title role in this epic adventure of the rise of the Mongol empire.

And more titles from nearly every genre and every era, with more to be added soon!
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/columbiaclassics/spotlight/

They start with 100 in September. Titles will be updated monthly.

Here's The COMPLETE list: http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/columbiaclassics/the-films/?filter=mod

No concrete word whether they're continuing both standard DVD releases of Catalog titles and MOD titles.

From the Ask the Experts column regarding the unreleased Peter Lorre movies:

Q: Thanks for taking the time to answer all of our questions. I was asking myself what happened to the remaining Peter Lorre movies: "Crime and Punishment", "The Face Behind the Mask" and "Island of Doomed Men"? Can we expect a release, maybe as a Peter Lorre triple feature? Thanks!

A: No official plans on these titles have been made, yet. But they are great titles and deserve to be seen. Thanks for your interest and we promise to notify you here, first, when we decide when and how to release these great, underrated films.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
A real shame about the Sherlock Holmes movie as I had expectations of an actual DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There are some things that need working on. First the cost per DVD is $19.94. There is a space for a coupon number so I hope that they will work on that. They charge shipping no mater the amount of the order and they are charging sales tax. I hope the sales tax actually will go the state of the order origin. I have no problem with this if the state gets it.

The site is a little hard to navigate, but so was Warner Archive at first. Too much pushing return button. After you make a purchase and want to continue shopping it takes to back to the title you ordered where it should take you back to the complete title list. The information about the films is well done and while they have the aspect ratio, I would feel more comfortable if they indicated it would be anamorphic when appropriate. I also noticed that some of the aspect ratios are incorrect, they show Buck Jones in Forbidden Trail as 1.85 to 1 when it should be 1.37 to 1. The same for the pre-1953 Jungle Jim films. I have not checked all of them, but I have failed to find a flat aspect ratio. It also indicates the The Interns is in color when it is black & white.

Also not sure what it means, but every film has a Newly Remastered tag on it at the end of the synopsis, including the three Jungle Jim titles. I guess when my order get here I can tell what it means.

I ordered Study In Terror, Crash Landing, Winter A-Go-Go, The Interns and New Orleans Uncensored (sorry that is a must for me). When they get here I post something on the quality.

I will be interested in who makes these. I seems that Critics Choice is not the originator of this and since they are charging $21.21, then they might just be a resell outlet as they are doing with the Warner Archives. No wonder Sony was so mad that the information leaked, I can certainly understand their frustration.

I am sure that with time the complaints that people have will be addressed and I know that Sony does listen to the feedback of it's customers, which is refreshing (Here that MGM & Fox). I embrace this concept as I have embraced Warner Archives. I mean New Orleans Uncensored on DVD, even a DVD-r - I never would have thought it. Let alone Winter A-Go-Go. Thanks

PS - Mike S - I volunteer to proof read the information for future release before it is posted. Please pass that on.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I'm excited to see how this pans out. It's looking good so far and I'm curious to see the reviews. Some of these should make great Christmas presents (for me)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks