What's new

The Classic Sci-FI Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Lets hope and pray it's not on one of those awful DVD-18's but the pricepoint looks suspisciously like the Bela Lugosi set...

This might only be announced shortly before it;s released because it's not a major release...the films aren't that well known (Tarantula and TISM probably being the biggest names, the other three are very much "lesser" titles), and there isn't a "name" like Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff or even Hammer in the set title.

Also, the two that were released in spring here in the UK (Tarantula and TISM) had their release dates changed several times after Universal announced them. Maybe they wanted to be sure for this set before announcing.

However, on the other hand, it does seem more a contender for the Halloween period, but then there are lots of releases competing for our money around then!!

I'm hopeful, I really want The Monlith Monsters which is a brilliant if not well known film.

Also, it would be great if there were another volume; The Leech Woman and The Deadly Mantis await!

Who has the rights to The Giant Claw? Now that I wanna get hold of...:D

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

THE GIANT CLAW belongs to Sony/Columbia. Since they're putting out that Boris Karloff set (THE BLACK ROOM, BEFORE I HANG, etc), they should really consider putting out their own 1950s sci-fi set, too. I'd buy a Sony collection that included:

FIVE (1951)
CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN (1955)
THE GAMMA PEOPLE (1956)
THE WEREWOLF (1956, radiation causes the lycanthropy)
THE GIANT CLAW (1957)
THE 27TH DAY (1957)
THE NIGHT THE WORLD EXPLODED (1957)

--and a set of their Toho Studios sci-fi films (all in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfers):

THE H-MAN (1958)
BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE (1960)
MOTHRA (1961)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Universal has already announced their October and November release schedules, they don't release films without an official announcement to retailers about 6-8 weeks prior to pre-order date. Pre-prder date (the most important date, since it tells them how many to replicate) has already passed for all of their September titles

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
still no announcment of this at any of the other sites, and now i am begining to think this is a late april fool's joke

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
If it pans out to be true this is great news. I can scratch off Tarantula and The Incredible Shrinking Man from my most wanted list and I'll finally get to see Monolith Monsters. :emoji_thumbsup:

Although had they swapped The Mole People and Monster on the Campus for Dr Cyclops and Island of Lost Souls this would've been a mindblowing set.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I hope that there will be some kind of extras on these releases, but I guess that would be too much to wish for, considering its damn Universal. Though I guess I should be happy that they are releasing these at all. I wish Warner owned these titles.

William Miller

Second Unit
Here's the latest news from dvdreview:

8/18/2006 10:41:51 AM

Here’s a little more on The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection

As we announced previously, Universal Home Entertainment is currently putting the final touches to a DVD set containing some of the most eagerly awaited 50s science fiction classics, titling it The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection. The DVD set, which will contain Tarantula, The Mole People, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters and Monster On The Campus is still on track for a September 19 release, which is only 4 short weeks away.
We have more information about the release that we can share with you here such as the fact that this will be a 3-disc DVD set and that the release will feature brand-new restored transfers of these movies. The set will not contain any extras or bonus materials.
Instead of the $19.98 price tag we announced earlier however, the correct price will actually be $29.98 when the set hits retail shelves.

There is a photo of the cover too but I don't know how to insert it here.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
I am thrilled these are getting released, but that box cover is pretty awful. It looks like one of those cheap 50-movie public domain collections.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The box art is one of the worst I've ever seen. If this ever did turn out to be a hoax, that cover suits it perfectly.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi

Yeah, I completely agree, you would think they could come up with better artwork for this set by using the original posters. But what can we expect its Universal (Do Night Gallery Right Universal). I will still be picking it up regardless though, because i love these films.

Ken Ranke

Agent
If this is a real announcement/release then bring it on ! No extras ?? What no 50 year old trailers that are probably beat to crap ? $30 MSRP means $20-$25 preorder or release date prices. Kudos if this is legit.

edit- When was the last time you watched the cover art ?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

No, I don't watch the cover art. And sure, I'd -- what's the usual quote? --- oh, yeah --- "I'd take these in a plain paper bag if I had to, because I'm mainly interested in the FILMS" ---

--- but there's nothing wrong with offering an opinion of the aesthetic appeal or non-appeal of the artwork, too. :)

Ken Ranke

Agent
Now I know why I lurk instead of post....
Sorry if I offended you Joe or any other cover aficionados.
I have a large collection of framed posters that I rotate from time to time for aesthetic appreciation so I know what you mean.

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I shudder at the sight of it.

Even if the trailers are "beat to crap" I still want them. Universal goes out of their way to not be consumer friendly in most cases, there are some exceptions of course, there always are.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Perhaps not watch, but I do enjoy looking at good cover art, especially when it reproduces the original poster art of a classic film. If the poster art is included on the disc (and I think more companies should do this), I'll even convert it to desktop wallpaper.

And if that cover is legit (and I have serious doubts about that), I'd be embarrassed to purchase the set from a brick and mortar store.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks