What's new

"The Cincinnati Reds 1975 World Series Collector's Edition" -- A Personal Review (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
A few (additional) general observations re. this 1975 World Series Collector's Edition..........

While re-watching WS Game #1, I took note of these things that were commonplace in 1975 that are no longer par for the course in the 21st century:

1.) The "Split-Screen" camera shot. Doesn't this shot bring back memories whenever you see it? You never see the "split-screen" done today on MLB broadcasts (do we?)....I don't think it's utilized anymore. But IMO it was a very good camera shot, keeping an eye on both the pitcher and batter on the left side of the screen; while we get a look at the runner leading off first base on the right side. Whenever Joe Morgan is on base, you're likely to see this camerawork.

2.) The camera angle from a low POV directly behind home plate. I don't believe this low, behind-home angle is ever featured in MLB games nowadays either. But this nearly-ground-level shot from behind HP is a terrific shot, and gives you a true sense of the vast speed of a Don Gullett fastball, or a Luis Tiant hummer.

3.) Wet and/or semi-dirty baseballs that are not thrown out of play between pitches. .... This I noticed many times in Game 1, which was a rainy, messy day in Boston too, making it more surprising -- esp. from a 2006 POV, when the umpires are changing baseballs virtually every pitch.

But in the 70s, when a Reds' pitcher would toss a pitch in the dirt...Johnny Bench would pick it up and just give it right back to the pitcher. It wasn't tossed out of play....even on a rainy, crappy day like in G.1 of this '75 WS. It'd take two or even three in-the-dirt plays to get that ball tossed out. I found that quite interesting.

4.) During powwows at the pitching mound, the players in '75 didn't give a darn about covering their mouths with their gloves while talking to each other (as we always see in today's era). Are players truly THAT paranoid in the modern era...fearing their lips will be read by the opposition, thereby giving the other team a slight advantage? Anyway, that's something you're never gonna see circa '75.

5.) Batting helmets -- That is to say: the lack of the protective ear flap on many of the helmets worn by players in the 70s. Most of the Reds' players opted to wear the helmet sans the ear flap (Bench, Morgan, Rose, Geronimo, and Perez all went "flapless"; with Concepcion daring to go without the ol' flap some of the time as well). I challenge anyone to watch a baseball game today and find a player whose batting helmet lacks the protective ear flap. I don't think such a helmet exists today. (Is the "flap" actually a rule in today's baseball environment? It might be; I'm not sure.)

Of course, in the even-older olden days, no players wore any type of helmet while batting. The batting helmet didn't become a regular sight in MLB until the 60s.

Marty McKee

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty McKee

Batting helmets with an earflap are now required by Major League Baseball. I don't recall exactly when that rule went into effect (late '80s?), but players who were already in baseball and prefered no earflap were still allowed to wear helmets without one under a grandfather clause. I'm trying to remember who the last active player was to not use an earflap. Ozzie Smith, maybe?

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Marty, that rule went into effect in the 1983 season. But I believe that your guess about Ozzie Smith being the last to wear a batting helmet withoiut an ear flap may be a good one. I can certainly remember seeing Ozzie late into his career without the ear flap, and he was one of the few players still playing into recent years who preceded the rule change.

David, I can tell you that the thing I miss most about 1970's era baseball is the old double knit poly uniforms, with the stirrup socks. There were some very cool looking uni's from that era that were much nicer than the sloppy looking "softball" style uniforms of today. I especially hate the solid colored softball jerseys that don't even have the team name, just a replice of the hat logo. Uggh..

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, gentlemen, for the ear-flap data/info.

Yeah....you don't see players with big ol' socks like this nowadays......

Now....shall we segue this into a discussion about protective "cups". That could be quite educational. :)

AndyTK

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy Kimball
Here is a picture of the 1972 Topps Joe Morgan (it's part of a high number subset that updates a few players that were traded after appearing in the set with another team)

And somebody mentioned something about a bubble blowing card, this is the only one I know about, from the 1976 Topps set.

-- Andy

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Joe Morgan "Traded" card.....and quite odd in numerous ways. That pic certainly wasn't taken in '72 (not the parts below the neck anyway)....the uniform isn't right at all. Looks like Morgan's head has (possibly) been pasted onto someone else's body, or possibly Morgan's own pre-'72 body....a la the Lee Harvey Oswald debate re. the "Backyard Photos". :)

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

I too, had not heard of or had little knowledge of all those players. And I thought that adding Lee May to that already powerful lineup (Watson, Wynn, Rader and Cedeno) was a terrible trade. All of those Houston players did have good years, but being able to move Tony (Doggie) Perez to first and the resultant team chemistry was incredible.

Well, anyway, I will order this DVD and enjoy the games all over again.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Get a load of the goofy review of this product by "chatchi" (from June 19, 2006). It's obviously a tongue-in-cheek type of review....because nobody could be that stupid. (There's that, plus the fact this guy claims that he received this DVD in January, which is not even remotely possible.) Anyway, it's good for a chuckle or two....

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PLM6W

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the heads up Dave. That's all I needed to pick this up. I am leaving today for our lake cottage in KY, but when I get back Thursday, hopefully this will be waiting for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: That center photo is classic!

Hey, Dave! The 2007 World Series set comes out on Tuesday! Just in case you might want to pick it up! :D

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
That i must say was a passion-filled review that i enjoyed reading. I own the 1986 NY Mets set that was released in pretty much the identical way. I feel exactly the sameway for the 86 Mets as you do for the 75 Reds. Baseball is and always will be my favorite sport. I am looking forward to watching the Mets spring training telecast tomorrow vs the Cardinals on SNY. Bring on the season! and hopefully more great sets like this will be released in the future

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's leave the "boners" with Fred Merkle in 1908, okay?! :D

I tell ya...after 2004 and 2007, watching that ball dribble through Bill Buckner's legs almost looks quaint rather than heart-wrenching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks