What's new

The Cincinnati Kid on blu-ray... (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, another little chat about a title that has already been released. We've got plenty of topics here about stuff not on blu or we wish was on blu or that is coming to blu.

Watched this last weekend and I was quite impressed with the way this film looks on blu. Beautiful photography of New Orleans and a cool little meditation on obsession and card players.

Basically a story about the showdown between the kid (Steve McQueen) and the man (Edward G. Robinson) and the subplots involving a great cast of characters surrounding the people with an interest in this high stakes poker game. Much leads up to the game itself and it is pretty much exactly an hour into the film before the kid and the man lay eyes on each other and begin to engage in not just a poker game but a psychological showdown. With great supporting players (Karl Malden, Ann-Margret, Rip Torn, and Tuesday Weld) rounding out the cast and bringing all the subplots to a boil you can't go wrong spending a fast hour and forty minutes with this film.

Fun to know too that Sam Peckinpah was originally set to direct until they found out he was shooting a nude scene with Sharon Tate and both of them were sent packing.

Cinci Kid.jpg

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Good film with a classic "what have you done for me lately" theme.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Reggie W said:
Fun to know too that Sam Peckinpah was originally set to direct until they found out he was shooting a nude scene with Sharon Tate and both of them were sent packing.
I knew Peckinpah was fired from the film but I didn't know why. Which part was Sharon Tate playing?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
As far as I know McQueen and Peckinpah had her playing the girlfriend...so I would say the Tuesday Weld part. Peckinpah also planned some additional violence in the film and between the nudity and the violence they felt he was getting carried away with what he was going to do. I believe the violence was in part why the film was being shot in black and white...to make the blood less shocking.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Reggie W said:
So, another little chat about a title that has already been released. We've got plenty of topics here about stuff not on blu or we wish was on blu or that is coming to blu.

Watched this last weekend and I was quite impressed with the way this film looks on blu. Beautiful photography of New Orleans and a cool little meditation on obsession and card players.

Basically a story about the showdown between the kid (Steve McQueen) and the man (Edward G. Robinson) and the subplots involving a great cast of characters surrounding the people with an interest in this high stakes poker game. Much leads up to the game itself and it is pretty much exactly an hour into the film before the kid and the man lay eyes on each other and begin to engage in not just a poker game but a psychological showdown. With great supporting players (Karl Malden, Ann-Margret, Rip Torn, and Tuesday Weld) rounding out the cast and bringing all the subplots to a boil you can't go wrong spending a fast hour and forty minutes with this film.

attachicon.gif
Cinci Kid.jpg
This BD has a rich, Technicolor (even though Metrocolor theatrically) look to it. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks