What's new

The Cheyenne Show on Encore Westerns Question (1 Viewer)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Garysb said:
It was actually up to 39 shows per season. The purpose was so that multiple episodes could be shot at the same time. It was more a matter of time than cost. I believe James Garner mentioned in his autobiography the reason they added the brother after the first few episodes was because they were falling far behind in getting episodes ready for air.
That's also why all the Warner detective shows (77, Eye, Surfside) had multiple cast members so that not everyone had to appear in every episode (or might just make a cameo appearance).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Many other TV shows used this concept from all the Studios. Bonanza and Big Valley had multiple brothers so multiple episodes could be shot at the same time each one starring a different brother. The Virginian had several main characters for the same reason.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I've been watching some of the Cheyenne episodes. They just started running Season 1 again and it's a pretty exciting show. James Garner seems to be a regular supporting character (as a cavalry lieutenant). Most of the action scenes tend to be stock footage from more expensive Warner Bros. western movies. In yesterday's show, there was extensive footage from an Indian attack on a wagon train, a fairly big budget sequence with lots of extras. I'm guessing it's from THE COMMAND (1954), although I'd have to see THE COMMAND again to be sure. The Cheyenne episode has some of the troopers dress up as women to fool the Indians and it's all to match up with the stock footage where we see women (seen from behind) firing at the Indians. And I remember another episode, "Border Affair," set in Mexico, that used footage from JUAREZ (1939). "Pocketful of Stars" uses footage from a building-the-railroad western although I couldn't identify which one.

Has anyone compiled a list of movies that Cheyenne takes its stock footage from?

Just curious.

BTW, I did a blog entry two weeks ago on "Pocketful of Stars," which guest-stars Lisa Lu, part of my regular series on Asian Stars in TV Westerns. I linked to it in another thread, but I should have linked it here as well:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2015/09/23/asian-stars-in-tv-westerns-lisa-lu-in-cheyenne/

And my home page:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks