What's new

The Cat And The Canary (1939) - Is R2 DVD a Bootleg? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone tell me if the R2 release selling on Amazon is legit?

Similarly, has anyone done a comparison between the R1 Anchor Bay release of Dead of Night and the R2 Optimum 'Ealing Studios Collection' release? Are the same transfers sourced? Is there a clear winner between the two?

Thanks!!

Page

Stunt Coordinator
If you're speaking about the DVD that was released by Orbit Media Ltd., then, yes, it is legit. I bought it and watched it and unfortunately it was one of the worst looking DVDs I have ever seen. Pretty much it was transferred to DVD from a very poor VHS transfer.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I only have the R1, but from the DVD Times review:

"...the picture is poorly scratched and remains so throughout the film's running length. The sound fares slightly better, being presented in its original mono (spread over the two front speakers), though occasionally suffers from audio dropouts and the odd bit of hiss. By all accounts the R1 release, which paired the film with Thorold Dickinson’s The Queen of Spades, is far superior despite not being perfect"

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thank you Page, will certainly avoid that! It's a shame that a better version is not available here. Too bad we can't count on an official release from Paramount..

And John what's your opinion of the R1 AB disc?

James Phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Universal UK were going to release a Bob Hope set, with 'The Cat and the Canary' on it, earlier this year. But it was cancelled, for some reason.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

As said, not perfect, but perfectly acceptable; 'The Queen of Spades' is the icing on the cake.

Apparently the 'Bob Hope; Screen Legends' set is 'postponed', so it may come along at some point, but, should it appear, I still wouldn't be that optimistic that either 'The Lemon Drop Kid' or 'The Cat & The Canary' would be any better than current PD efforts, though we live in hope.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I re-watched DoN last night, encouraged by this thread and the sound is poor, though it varies in quality much like the video; excellent film though, and I'm glad I have it.

James LM

Grip

If that DVD is legit then I'm the Queen of Sheba.

What makes you think it is legit? Don't tell me it's because it is on Amazon, please!

I understand that the title is owned by Universal and it is highly unlikely that they would license a title to a known bootlegger like Orbit Media.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks