What's new

The Brady Bunch Season Sets?? (2 Viewers)

Claude North

Second Unit
I'm glad that Paramount is finally getting around to releasing THE BRADY BUNCH. I feel that it, in its own way, it has had as much cultural impact as any of the more "serious" or "important" sitcoms. For my generation, it is the ultimate show about growing up, and generated catch phrases galore, just as SEINFELD did in the '90s.

I'll never forget my first day in 8th grade algebra, when the teacher handed out the textbook. EVERYONE recognized it as the algebra textbook used on TBB! Talk about connecting with an audience!

I am absolutely going to buy these, and I salute Paramount for their aggressive release schedule.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
This is good news. I still like watching this show today. I watched a lot of that TVLand marathon recently. The only problem was that some of the episodes were repeated 2-3 times during the marathon. Oh well, I'll definitely be buying these sets, as long as they are uncut and not syndication versions.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Well, a cut episode did slip into the Columbia House releases, but hopefully that won't happen this time. This is great news. Better late than never. :)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm very happy to hear that we're finally getting the Bradys on DVD. Plus, as I didn't really like the first season when I watched the show as a kid, the release schedule will be quick so they'll get to my favorites more quickly. Bring on the Hawaii vacation episodes!

Its good that Paramount has such faith in this show that they are releasing a number of seasons in one year. I do hope that they will include some extras, which Paramount isn't known for. People can get obsessive about the Bradys and the fans will want some extra goodies! Perhaps the recent reunion special was a sneaky way of getting some DVD extras recorded.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
I highly doubt there will be any special features on The Brady Bunch. In fact, I swear there will be none. Are you kidding? Special Features are far more popular with more recent shows that have arrived on DVD than classic shows. I wouldn't count on it.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator
What worries me (but of course I'll still buy) is that if they're releasing them so quickly, they won't be putting the time/effort/money into restoring the prints, and we'll get muddy or edited eps. I really hope not!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
All I want are uncut episodes with the original Paramount logo, and possibly "In Color" card that was on the 4 vhs versions released by Paramount in the 1990's.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The fact that they're being released quickly doesn't mean that a lot of restoration hasn't happened earlier. Just look at the Dick Van Dyke Show. Once they started releasing them, they came bang, bang, bang, but lots of work went into the sets before that.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, George. Maybe they have been working on these for awhile, and are almost finished.

Supporting Actor
That's a little Pre-Emptive isn't it? Preparing an entire shows worth of season sets and then releasing each one a few months apart from each other and expecting each set to sell well? That's like counting all the chickens before the eggs hatch.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I say that's good thinking! At least people will know they can expect to own the complete series and not worry to have one or two seasons of their favorite show only, and have it incomplete if the studio decides not to continue with further episodes.

Supporting Actor
So then why don't they do this with all shows if it's such a stellar idea?

Because I'm not buying that theory. That theory makes it sound as if the production companies care about the consumers. Hogwash! The production companies care about the profit. They care about how much inventory they can sell and rake in the money. I consider this the brightest financial move since the time the U.S. Government cut a 3, or was it 30, billion dollar tax cut at a time in which our country was broke.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
True, but this is The Brady Bunch, one of the biggest shows of all time. If Gilligan's Island sold well, you can bet that the Bunch will too (provided it's a reasonable price).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'd say that there is a better indicator than that, as to whether or not there will be bonus material, and if it will be any good.

Its a Paramount release. How many Paramount titles have special features?

As for the restoration of episodes, it is not necessarily a bad business strategy to restore all of the episodes, even before you've sold one copy of the first season on DVD. Lest we forget, DVD is just one avenue that restored prints would be used...perhaps they could also be used for future runs in sindication?

I'm sure that if any restoration was done, it was done with DVD in mind, but not necessarily just DVD in mind.

Plus, as was stated, this is a pretty popular show, it should do ok sales wise. It won't hit M*A*S*H levels, but All in the Family levels are not impossible, and I'm sure Paramount would be happy with that.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Brady Bunch has a huge following. Sales of BB memoribilia remain high, as more product is released every year. It's the ultimate retro show, and appeals to several generations. Don't underestimate the power of this sweet, little show.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Chris:L, it's not like Paramount's never done that before, though. Ummm...Star Trek?

'Nuff said. The other responses also echo my thoughts, esp. the one mentioning other revenue streams such as syndication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks