What's new

The Brady Bunch Season Sets?? (1 Viewer)

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

Yipes! That's what I get for not hitting the smiley. Sorry Chris. I actually felt bad for Mr. Rist when he was unceremoniously booted off of The Weakest Link.

De

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

Yeah, when the writers got really lazy and had every character make a big entrance to get the overly caffeinated studio audience to go ballistic for a few minutes, or when they would waste time with some crummy Leather Tuscadero musical number.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Sorry to add to the off-topic HD-ness, but I actually liked the post-Richie seasons of HD better than the last few years with Richie -- it seemed to me that the writers were kind of "jolted" by the need to get along without him, and while most of the new characters were no good (the only one I did like, K.C. as played by Crystal Bernard, didn't last long), the writing quality improved a bit. Some of the last season's episodes, like the one where Richie comes back, are quite good.

However, the only seasons I'd buy on DVD are the first two, shot one-camera (yes, they did have a canned laugh track, but that just added to the "old-style" feel of the show -- it was like watching something from the "Leave it to Beaver" era). When they switched to multi-camera film with a studio audience (they actually shot one episode in season to with a studio audience, as an experiment), they had to use mostly interior sets, redesign the Cunninghams' house, and, most importantly, change the acting and directing style to a more "theatrical" style to play to the live audience. Ron Howard, who had never performed before a live audience before, was clearly uncomfortable and it took him a while to adjust. It's actually a fascinating study in how the style of shooting changes a show, because the writing staff was still the same, as was the director (Jerry Paris), but the feel of the show changed almost completely because of the difference between one-camera and live-audience performing.

Interestingly, Garry Marshall had previously saved a show by making the same switch: "The Odd Couple" was one-camera in its first season, but at Tony Randall's insistence, they went to a multi-camera, live-audience format in season two -- and it worked great. But that was different, because the material was based on a play and it starred two guys with stage experience; it was more appropriate with that "theatrical" style. The nostalgic charm and period feel of Happy Days was just all wrong for multi-camera.

And to get this sort of back on topic, one of the best early episodes of HD guest-starred Maureen McCormick (it's the one where Richie, Ralph and Potsie pick up three cute girls and wind up having to drag-race a bunch of tough guys).

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

During the 1982-83 season, while Joanie, Chachi, and Al were off doing that spinoff fiasco, HD added KC, Flip, Ashley, Heather, and the return of Arnold. Add those to Fonzie, Howard, Marion, Roger, Potsie and Jenny, and you have 11 actors fighting for airtime. What sitcom needs that many regulars? Little wonder that by the next year, the new arrivals were gone. For all the lameness of most of the supporting cast, I did think Cathy Silvers was a talented comic actress and should have had a bigger career.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Very fascinating information, Jaime. Thanks for your post. Also, I agree about the Maureen McCormick episode. That was one of the better I've seen. Other episodes that stand out in my memory are: when Richie goes to the strip club and sees his dad in the audience; when Richie goes on a school trip to either Chicago or New York and gets busted for sneaking out to a club; and when Richie spends the night in a college girl's room. I don't know when those happened in the show's run, but they were all good.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Didn't Cathy Silvers play Jenny Picallo? I thought so... I like the final episode of Happy Days... Passeges Part 1 and 2... where Joanie and Chachi finally tie the not... you wouldn't think early in the show when Chachi was after Joanie that in the ladder seasons she would finally fall for him... There are two scenes that stick out in my mind... the part where Tom Bosley steps out of character to salute the show Happy Days... and when they show that montage of all the episodes of Joanie when she was young... that was touching as well... brought a tear to my eye...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There was mention of the Brady Bunch in a Paramount roundup TVShows did tonight. It seems that someone talked to Sherwood Schwartz, and he claimed that the show is in the works over at Paramount. TVShows hasn't gotten confirmation yet. It could just be one of those off-the-cuff comments that don't really have any basis in reality, especially since Mr. Schwartz's comments make it sound like he's not really involved in the process. But, I really hope he's right. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Brady Bunch is about the biggest no-brainer in TV on DVD history, as far as I'm concerned.

I've got some of the great Brady Bunch incidental music in my head just thinking about the show. :) Why, oh why isn't this score on CD?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I hope that if Paramount is producing this, they'll ask for his involvement eventually. His commentary on the Pilot for "Gilligan's Island" was wonderful. He's still got it, even at his age. Also doesn't seem like the kind of person who would really make an off-the-cuff remark to a fan.

I'm sure it's in the works; namely because the show is pure gold and a no-brainer!

The ideal Brady Bunch season set for me contains all episodes uncut with original opening/closing in tact, ordered by broadcast date, with a play-all feature and subtitles.

Extras that included commentaries with Schwartz & surviving cast members as well as respective writers of each episode. At least 5 commentaries per season would be great (though past releases tell us Paramount basically maxes out at ONE commentary per set). Any gag reels that could be unearthed would be neat. And then interviews and/or a documentary -- either about the creation of the series and the first season alone or one that covers entire series. Heck, they could purchase the rights to the E! True Hollywood Story (which is excellent) if they didn't want to make one themselves!

I'd pay double the cost of Frasier/Cheers sets if this kind of package was put together for The Bradys.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely love Brady Bunch season sets. Hopefully this news means it's coming sooner rather than later.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Long before, in my opinion. As a first-run "Happy Days" viewer, I think the show started to go downhill at season three, when they started shooting it in front of a live audience. Once that happened, the cast started mugging shamelessly, and the entire show seemed geared around getting an audience reaction. It got worse and worse from there.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
My wife LOVES the Brady Bunch and can't wait to get this set when it finally does come out.

As for me, I can't wait to zooooom in on Florence Henderson's legs! Rowr!!!

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Sherwood Schwartz has made off-the-cuff comments before. With news of a Gilligan's Island movie and a Cultural eclectic version of the TV Show on the way. Nope haven't seen that either.

Richie C.

Stunt Coordinator

Chris L., maybe it also shows that HD fans are pushy and should get their own thread. :rolleyes

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I would definitely buy GI over Brady Bunch. To me it was just much more enjoyable. I was not a Happy Days fan either. Hated that show.

*waits for Father Knows Best to be released*

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I use to watch Brady Bunch with my sister and I did like it some, but Gilligan's Island was way better, I thought. My sister use to force me to watch Happy Days and I hated it. Always bored me. I was finally glad when we got two tv's in the house so I could watch my shows instead of hers.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
It would be great to have the Brady Bunch on DVD in season format. I would buy this if released in season format. In fact, I grew up on the shows on the 1960's/1970's such as Gilligans Island, Brady Bunch, Green Acres, Munsters, Happy Days, et al.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Eugene, interestingly I was born in '64 and had never heard of Green Acres until I got a TV theme song tape as an adult. Yet I've probably seen every episode of those other shows you mention (except the later Happy Days rubbish).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I too always enjoyed Giligan's Island more, however, I would consider buying Brady Bunch on DVD if the price was right (as it was with GI).

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
I was never a BB fan growing up.

However, like many on this thread, this seems like one of the biggest no brainers in DVD TV history.

People with younger kids are dieing for TV that they can sit down and watch with their children. That type of tv is almost non existent today and the BB sets I bet would help to fill that void since many of those parents were part of the BB generation so to speak.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks