What's new

The Brady Bunch Season Sets?? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I was going to post much the same thing earlier, Chris. I don't know Mr. Rist like you do, but it's clear the show was cycling down by the time he came aboard. And, the six episodes he was in were pretty bad, but it had little to do with him. As Robert Reed said, Cindy "becoming" Shirley Temple may have made sense season 1, it was just stupid season 5.

And, I say his episodes were bad, but bad Brady is still watchable. For example, the Peter Twins episode is mind-numbingly stupid, but I like it. Maybe it's because Peter's date was so darn cute. :b

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Yes, I think even the worst "The Brady Bunch" episodes are still great, whereas the worst episodes of, say, "Happy Days" were god-damned awful.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator

Word up. I am a loyal friend and true to Richie & the gang, but I can't see following that franchise any further than the first Richie-less season. All the hype over Fonzie was smoke and mirrors--when red left that show it was all over--it's a miracle they made it through 4 years with no Richie.

Doc

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
First off, they had Ted McGinley, Chachi and Joanie's relationship. By the end of the show Fonzie wasn't as big and badass as he used to be. It wasn't terrific... but it was good enough to last.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I love "Happy Days", too, Chris:L, but everyone has to admit that when Richie left, the show just became "ordinary". And by the last season, it was ridiculous & mostly farcical.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Having watched Happy Days in its original run and seeing occasional episodes recently I can agree that the later seasons just don't hold up. I remember losing interest in the first time around about the time Ron Howard left. Some shows run too long and this is one of them.

Isn't there some of kind of rule that once Ted McGinley shows up the show is beyond saving? :)

Steve

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator

This theory has received attention thanks to the Jump the Shark website (named, ironically enough, for the Fonz's aqua-aerial shenanigans from one of those "Happy Days" multi-episode story arcs).

Lessee...."Happy Days", "The Love Boat", "Married with Children." Truthfully, each of these shows ("MWC" an arguable exception) were waaaaay past their expiration dates by the time McGinley was added.

Any others?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Although he was not a permanent cast member, he was a recurring guest star on "Sports Night" throughout the first season. It did last one more season after that, but "SN" is among the finest shows ever handed the ax after only two seasons.

Bad luck. McGinley-style.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I'd like to own all 11 seasons of "The Brady Bunch" too. Oh wait. "The Brady Bunch" only lasted for 5 seasons. How did this turn into a "Happy Days" thread?

I'll take season sets of both series, thanks.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Sports Night was indeed a great show that McGinley being on didn't really screw up. I also liked him on Married with Children.

Happy Days is one of those shows where I'll buy all the seasons with Richy, no problem but once Ron Howard leaves so does my interest. If I were to buy those seasons it would only be because I am a completist.

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Casey, I am a completist also. I couldn't stand having only a certain number of seasons just because one cast member left... it's like the only real care you have is for the actor on the show... and not the show itself...

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Well, when the character that leaves is the protagonist of the whole series, it's a pretty big deal. Sometimes the comic relief becoming the protagonist isn't always a great idea. "Step by Step" became unbearable once Cody became the focus of the series. Likewise, although funny at times, Steve Urkel smothered "Family Matters" to death.

Aww, shit, let's just change the thread title to "Brady Bunch/Happy Days season sets?" :D

Mark Lx

Second Unit
This is just from memory, but didn't Happy Days kind of decline before Opie left. Didn't they get away from the whole 50s thing. It seems the early episodes had a lot of outdoor scenes at the drive-in and more of a edge to it. Fonzie was less prominant and more "dangerous". Did Happy Days not in fact "JUMP THE SHARK" before Richie left.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
For most people, I'm guessing not. But, I agree with you completely. I enjoyed it much more that first season, when it was still shot on film. It was basically American Graffiti: The Series. Did they even have a laugh track then? If so, it didn't seem as intrusive or false. The show became much more standard when they began shooting it on video. Not that the medium used has anything to do with the quality of the writing, but that just seems like the line of demarcation for me.

Also, Fonzi became domesticated much too early, IMO. It's the old problem of having a minor recurring character became hugely popular, like Urkel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks