What's new

The Brady Bunch Season Sets?? (1 Viewer)

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
In a few days it'll have been a week since the release of Gilligan's Island: Complete First Season. If sales are pleasing, they'll release the Second Season with a possible Final on the way. With this now said, I'm hoping that they'll release Sherwood Schwartz other widely known sitcom The Brady Bunch. Any hope? Any news? Any possibilities?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before we see The Brady Bunch.

Regarding Gilligan's Island, I hope it sells well enough so the remaining two seasons get released. The video quality is outstanding, by the way.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm not going to be 1 to speak for Gord, but I will take a guess as to why this is important. Whether or not Giligan's Island sells well, won't matter to Paramount in its decision to put the Brady Bunch on DVD. In fact, unless there are some serious information leaks at WB, there is no way that Paramount will obtain exact numbers on the sales of Giligan's Island. So if Paramount is to put Brady Bunch on DVD it will be independant of what WB is doing with Giligan's Island, heck even if GI tanks in sales, it probably wouldn't stop Paramount from eventually trying Brady Bunch on DVD, and the fact that they're projects of the same creator is immaterial.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I think Gord thought that when Chris:L wrote "they'll release" in his original post he was referring to Warner Bros. Maybe he wasn't referring to Warner Bros. Perhaps he was referring to studios in general.

Aside from that, I don't see how you figure, Casey, that sales of "Gilligan's Island" would be completely useless information for Paramount when considering "The Brady Bunch" for DVD.

Both these shows are two of the most frequently-aired series in syndication history. Both are from Sherwood Schwartz. Both were targeted at a family demographic. Today, their primary appeal would be to children and to adults who grew up watching it either in first-run or syndication. I'm sure, if they needed to, there would be a way for Paramount to find out how sales of "Gilligan" are doing.

Basically, if there is one series on DVD whose sales would be able to impact whether or not we'll see the "The Brady Bunch" on DVD, it's "Gilligan's Island". That said, I don't think it's going to make or break a Paramount decision. But it might help pave the way.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I can't really agree with that assessment. I know lots and lots of people who like the Brady Bunch and would buy it on dvd. I don't personally know of a single person who likes Gilligan's Island, at least not enough to admit it. I strongly suspect that sales for the Brady Bunch would far surpass those for Gilligan's Island.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Maybe I'm the exception that proves the rule, but I'm a card carrying fan of Gilligan (not ashamed to admit it :) ) that is not a Brady fan. I used to watch it, but for some reason the show hasn't held up for me as well.

Having said that, I hope Brady does come out. It does have a lot of fans and deserves to have a release.

I pre-ordered Gilligan from Amazon and noticed that it was in their top 20 of DVD sales at the time. I would be very surprised if Gilligan didn't sell quite well.

One thing that would be interesting to find out is how the estate of Robert Reed (which has not allowed his likeness to be used in Brady related merchandising) will impact potential DVD releases and/or related marketing thereof. For the sake of those who are fans of this show, I would hope there is no impact.

Steve

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Steve, I will point out that Rhino managed to release a DVD of the far more embarassing Brady Bunch Variety Hour a while back. :)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Ah yes, the Variety hour! How could I forget. I actually watched that when it originally aired, and that I am ashamed to admit :) That may be the first case of a series "jumping the shark" after its initial run was completed!

(By the way Dane, congrats to the Hawks for their big win yesterday!)

Steve

I love both shows.I just bought the Gilligan's Island season 1 set and have the "Rescue from Gilligan's Island" movie on dvd.I'll buy the Brady Bunch too, if they put it out in season by season sets.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Brady Bunch in the White House is due May 25, according to DVDFile. I hope Paramount doesn't gauge interest in season sets with sales of this title. I won't buy the movie, but I would buy every season of the show.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Greg, that's bad news. I'm not interested in it either, but I would be all over the series. I'm sure Paramount knows that whatever copies they sell of the BB in the White House can be multiplied by 5-10 times in order to get an estimate of how much they'd sell of season sets.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe Paramount is apprehensive about releasing The Brady Bunch for fear of all those Cousin Oliver episodes never selling. Robby Rist is a show-killing menace!

De

Chris:L

Supporting Actor
Hey... I know Robbie Rist... please... don't say that. I love that misconception and so does he. It was going to end anyway. Why do you think they brought in Robbie Rist? The ratings were dropping. Whenever you bring in a new character to a show it means either that the show will end soon or the ratings are slipping.. Some shows succeed by doing this... some don't. There were only six Cousin Oliver episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks