What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Ron,
After a month this thread seems to have run its course with a lot of varying and interesting opinions being shared and a surprisingly low number of votes being cast. Did WHV indicate a timeframe as to when a decision might be made based on the feedback posted on this thread? The raw vote is pretty useless, but the posted comments should provide WHV a sense of what consumers want.
Thanks,
Steve

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, the poll is now, unsurprisingly, at 50-50. I've been watching this for some time, and personally I have to wonder how interested or sincere many of the 96 voters are (and who haven't commented here).

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
"Also as someone else pointed out I think a bigger problem with mixed sets would be seeing a young slip and sach playing a ganster film, then seeing a much older slip and sach acting goofy and like little kids and then seeing a film and Slip is suddenly gone and replaced by Stanley Clemens and then going back to a young slip and sach in a ganster film."

Yeah? And was there a "problem" with Cagney having a moustache in TORRID ZONE but not having one in the other films in his Signature Collection? This is dumb. There is no "big problem" with collections of films that aren't in chronological order, save for the anal.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
LaurenceGarvey said:
"Also as someone else pointed out I think a bigger problem with mixed sets would be seeing a young slip and sach playing a ganster film, then seeing a much older slip and sach acting goofy and like little kids and then seeing a film and Slip is suddenly gone and replaced by Stanley Clemens and then going back to a young slip and sach in a ganster film."
Yeah? And was there a "problem" with Cagney having a moustache in TORRID ZONE but not having one in the other films in his Signature Collection? This is dumb. There is no "big problem" with collections of films that aren't in chronological order, save for the anal.
Thank you.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
LaurenceGarvey said:
And besides, as I pointed out elsewhere, even in strict chronological order the Bowery Bpys' films sometimes shifted back and forth from "dramatic" to "comedy"!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After a month this thread seems to have run its course with a lot of varying and interesting opinions being shared and a surprisingly low number of votes being cast. Did WHV indicate a timeframe as to when a decision might be made based on the feedback posted on this thread? The raw vote is pretty useless, but the posted comments should provide WHV a sense of what consumers want.
Warner has not communicated with me since, though I know they
are reading this thread.
Joe Karlosi, if you don't mind, why don't you give a final
thoughts overview on what you feel may be the overall consensus
as to what should be done with these releases? I'll make certain
your comments are forwarded to the studio later today.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, but that's a tough spot Ron; I don't want to be the individual to speak definitively for everyone else! :) I acknowledge that I have been rather vocal here on this subject, but it's just been my personal opinion. It seems to me that most people who have participated in this thread favor a compromise from the two poll choices -- that is, Warner may want to go right ahead soon and release these films as close to chronologically as they can, skipping MR. HEX or the occasional troublesome print for the time being and then perhaps go back to those at a later date (similar to what Fox did with the Charlie Chan movies). From what I gather here, most fans seem happy with that idea. This decision would probably make both "sides" content. Anyone else...?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Joe Karlosi said:
at a later date (similar to what Fox did with the Charlie Chan movies). From what I gather here, most fans seem happy with that idea. This decision would probably make both "sides" content. Anyone else...?
I agree with Joe...this approach would preserve the integrity of the chronological releases while not holding up the overall release for a small number of problematic titles. The only thing I would add is that if this approach is used the title should be "Vol X" as opposed to "Best of". Some have posted that the latter may turn off potential buyers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Steve...O said:
I agree with Joe...this approach would preserve the integrity of the chronological releases while not holding up the overall release for a small number of problematic titles. The only thing I would add is that if this approach is used the title should be "Vol X" as opposed to "Best of". Some have posted that the latter may turn off potential buyers.
Yes, chronological releases and release them as "volumes" and not as "Best of".

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
LaurenceGarvey said:
Very bad comparison. This is not a film collection but a film series. A better comparison would be to a T.V. series. Is it ANAL to want a T.V. series season presented in order? And why does it bother you if fans want them presented in chronological order? This thread was about what fans wanted. You can still watch them mixed up if you want.
I have problem at all with any Cagney, Flynn, Wayne etc. collections being out of chronological order because they are different films and different characters. The Bowery Boys films are a series and they are playing the same characters. Also supporting characters change as the series goes along and the characters change so there is alot of reason to have them in order.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Yes, chronological releases and release them as "volumes" and not as "Best of".
Right - I forgot to mention that too in my last post... "Volume #", not "Best Of"! Everyone should be pleased with this.... we get the series released pretty quickly; done chronologically excepting an odd movie or two here and there when the elements aren't in the best of shape, and the "volume #'s" let everyone know there will be more forthcoming down the road. How can everyone not be happy with this? If anyone is still thinking that Warner ought to hold out as long as it takes just to find an immaculate copy of MR. HEX (or a few other sticklers) keep in mind that this could take years and even then they may not find great elements.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Joe Karlosi said:
Right - I forgot to mention that too in my last post... "Volume #", not "Best Of"! Everyone should be pleased with this.... we get the series released pretty quickly; done chronologically excepting an odd movie or two here and there when the elements aren't in the best of shape, and the "volume #'s" let everyone know there will be more forthcoming down the road. How can everyone not be happy with this? If anyone is still thinking that Warner ought to hold out as long as it takes just to find an immaculate copy of MR. HEX (or a few other sticklers) keep in mind that this could take years and even then they may not find great elements.
You got my vote Joe!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joe,
You know you have my vote. I urge everyone to chime in and
support that vote if you want to see these films out within the
next year.

RalphJR

Agent
Boy oh boy those episodes, back in the 60’s were great, now most of us that remember them are in our mid 50’s to early 60’s, if Warner doesn’t bring them out soon enough who will remember the Bowery Boy’s? to buy them.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I don't understand any of this.

The catalogue of 48 BOWERY BOYS films was first released to television in 1960 and the original 35mm print negatives and tv syndication dupes were in fine shape. Just what the heck has happened to this material in the intervening years?

I am only interested in video transfers that are taken from good quality source elements so if there is a problem with certain films in the series then just pass over them until something can be done to correctly remedy the situation.

Whether Warner Brothers Home Entertainment understands it or not there is going to have to be a situation where they go back to the original 35mm print negatives and make new video transfers. In the long run these newly restored transfers will pay for themselves through future DVD releases (from one generation to another) and in the expansive tv syndication distribution of these films.

Absolutely NO bad video transfers please...just skip them for now! I would much rather have a few pristine film copies from this marvellous comedy series on DVD than none at all. But I reiterate please DO NOT market any garbage prints!

Let's not repeat THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN tv series DVD release fiasco (see "The Stolen Costume" and the poor quality of the colour episodes).

Jeff T.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see the Bowery Boys ASAP. I remember seeing them on a local channel, usually on Saturday afternoons. I loved the way they misused words. I still use one of them today. In one movie they were going to coordinate when they would attack. One of them looked at his watch and said "Let's simonize our watches". Classic stuff!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I like the idea of numbered volumes, and just skipping the volume with "Mr. Hex" until satisfactory source material is found.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Despite me chosing the "wait" option in this poll, I do agree that the ideal way to approach these films is to release them chronologically and in as comprehensive a collection as possible, skipping over only the few titles which are not up to par quality-wise, until better prints can be located. If and when such elements turn up, perhaps Warner could find a way to integrate them into the packaging (leaving available space for certain MIA titles which fit in chronologically).
This would get my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks