What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
mdnitoil said:
It did arrive today but I have no time to take a look. I can confirm the discs are pressed, for those who might be concerned.
So long as they're ordered through the Warner Archive or Movies Unlimited (The ONLY pressed disc option for Non U.S. residents, such as myself!), that shouldn't be an issue for awhile at least! Just be aware that Amazon only has the burned DVD-R's, as I learned the hard way with the Bowery Boys Volume Two set!

I'm still waiting for my MU "oidah", but that's to be "expirated!"

CHEERS!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Got through them all and have a few observations

Video quality is variable but overall quite good. As with the previous sets, it's highly dependent oh the source elements used. Only one or two seem noticeably dupey (Angels' Alley, for example) but acceptably so.

Paris Playboys is the earliest Bowery Boys film presented in widescreen in these sets.

Edward Bernds and Elwood Ulman influence starts early on in this set, almost 2/3 of it. The influence comes in full force in Paris Playboys, a dead ringer for the funniest in the set.

A few gags are directly lifted from the Three Stooges. The "cards under the table" gag in Dig That Uranium is right out of the Stooges short Out West (itself a routine used earlier with Curly in Goofs and Saddles). The bit with the switching of a spiked drink in Crashing Las Vegas is very similar to the routine in the Stooges short Who Done It?. The bit in Spook Chasers where Blinky dips his paintbrush in Duke's coffee and places the paintbrush on Duke's sandwich and Duke eating and drinking both is directly from the Stooges short A Snitch In Time. The coffee bit was a routine used in multiple Three Stooges shorts. Spook Chasers also has a brief inspiration to A Plumbing We Will Go with the water and electrical pipes getting mixed up.

The Clements shorts really don't have much of difference in overall quality compared to the earlier Allied Artists ones. The lack of Leo Gorcey is noticeable but the stories remain as goofy as ever and Duke is a pretty decent replacement to Slip. Oddly he does have a few lines where he mispronounced words in a very Slip-like way, even though he mostly eschews that and plays his street-wise role more straight. Percy Helton as Mike Clancey in Spook Chasers plays a role very similar to Louie in which he gets actively involved in the story in Spook Chasers, though Dick Elliot does not get actively involved in the last two.

Comedy veteran Fritz Feld makes notable bit roles in both Paris Playboys and Up In Smoke. Emil Sitka of Three Stooges fame makes an unbilled bit role as an audience member in Crashing Las Vegas whom Slip persuades to move one seat over. Fuzzy Knight has a minor yet notable scene in Feudin' Fools.

The last two Clements films actually drift further from reality. Looking For Danger really has one wonder just how old the "Boys" really are suppose to be in the series as the present is established as being 1956, yet they apparently also enlisted and served in WWII. The last one goes head-on into the supernatural in a pretty surprising turn of events.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
crashing-las-vegas-movie-poster-1956-1020559042.jpg

JALOPY (1953) is a very funny (The) Bowery Boys film and especially a delight for Louie Drumbowski (Bernard Gorcey) fans (and who isn't?).

It was a (literal) Herculean effort to get Leo Gorcey through CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) who kept emotionally breaking down over his father's passing. When Leo Gorcey left the series it lost whatever stature it may have had and his screen career was certainly over. Unfortunately despite being a highly talented actor-comedian Leo was a very difficult and obstinate personality with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Pharoahs' pyramids in Egypt and this would (predictably) lead to his own self-destruction.

Jeff T.

:D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Alas, my Bowery Boys order has not yet arrived! With our Canadian Thanksgiving, it'll be at least Tuesday before I might receive Volume Three! These two week waits are sheer toicha!

CHEERS!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
JeffT. said:
JALOPY (1953) is a very funny (The) Bowery Boys film and especially a delight for Louie Drumbowski (Bernard Gorcey) fans (and who isn't?).
I also thought that one was very good and funny. I was also impressed in how well the stock footage and stunt doubling was done.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have nothing of note to post, but am just longing for my Volume Three shipment to arrive, as I'm especially wanting to view a nice print of PARIS PLAYBOYS, the one with the great sight gag in which Slip's Bow-tie spins around as Steam (Or Smoke!) comes out of his ears! Hopefully, this will arrive after Thanksgiving Monday!

CHEERS!

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I finally put my WA order in - now it's only a matter of time. I can only say yet again that I really appreciate what the folks at WB have done in presenting these Bowery Boys films in such a manner -- great job! If I were to quibble, I would wonder why so many Stanley Clements flicks are on this volume instead of splitting them up a bit more, but hell -- I am a happy customer!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Joe Karlosi said:
I finally put my WA order in - now it's only a matter of time. I can only say yet again that I really appreciate what the folks at WB have done in presenting these Bowery Boys films in such a manner -- great job! If I were to quibble, I would wonder why so many Stanley Clements flicks are on this volume instead of splitting them up a bit more, but hell -- I am a happy customer!
Hi Joe!

I'm glad you were finally able to order your Bowery Boys Volume Three set! As I stated before, I don't see any problem with you getting pressed DVDs. I also completely agree with you in that all in all, Warner has done a great job in the presentation of the Bowery Boys Films! However, insofar as the divvying up of the Stanley Clements entries, in my opinion, they're being split up just fine. The Warner Archive could've just as easily lumped all seven SC Films with the final Volume 4 set! The only other option would have been to include one or two Stanley Clements Titles in all four Bowery Boys Volumes, which would likely have put off some die-hard Leo Gorcey Fans! My biggest quibble is the slight pause that occurs on the middle Film of each disc with some of our DVD Players, but that's probably more the fault of the Players themselves than the way the DVD's were manufactured!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
I have nothing of note to post, but am just longing for my Volume Three shipment to arrive, as I'm especially wanting to view a nice print of PARIS PLAYBOYS, the one with the great sight gag in which Slip's Bow-tie spins around as Steam (Or Smoke!) comes out of his ears!
During my PARIS PLAYBOYS viewing, in the aforementioned scene which occurs midway through the film, while Slips Bow-tie does indeed, spin around, it is Louie's ears from which smoke emits!

Regarding PRIVATE EYES, the reason it isn't presented in widescreen is because Allied Artists didn't start using the widescreen/matte process until the film had already been in production for a few weeks. This would have meant that in some scenes, crucial action would have been missing had they been reconfigured to widescreen from the 1.37:1 Academy Ratio.

CHEERS!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
JALOPY was shot in December 1952 and was 1.37:1 all the way.

PRIVATE EYES was the title apparently changed mid-shoot from 1.37 to 1.85:1. It began filming as BOWERY BLOODHOUNDS on June 24, 1953. Earlier filmed scenes are standard ratio and scenes filmed later are widescreen, according to George Feltenstein.

EDIT: This information is not correct. PRIVATE EYES is fully widescreen and the correct aspect ratio is 1.66:1.

The first fully widescreen title was PARIS BOMBSHELLS aka PARIS PLAYBOYS which rolled on October 7, 1953.

More info on the studios conversion to widescreen can be found here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Bob Furmanek said:
JALOPY was shot in December 1952 and was 1.37:1 all the way.

PRIVATE EYES was the title apparently changed mid-shoot from 1.37 to 1.85:1. It began filming as BOWERY BLOODHOUNDS on June 24, 1953. Earlier filmed scenes are standard ratio and scenes filmed later are widescreen, according to George Feltenstein.

The first fully widescreen title was PARIS BOMBSHELLS aka PARIS PLAYBOYS which rolled on October 7, 1953.

More info on the studios conversion to widescreen can be found here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation
Hi Bob!

Please kindly pardon my error! Thank you for the correction, and the additional information regarding the film in question, PRIVATE EYES! I've now edited my post, and inserted the correct Film Title.

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's a great Movie Poster for PARIS PLAYBOYS! However, I fail to get the Latin angle (Latin, the Bowery Boys ain't!). To me, this seems like a carelessly desperate attempt at rhyming!

CHEERS!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
That is the first time that I have ever seen reference to the "W-i-d-e-s-c-r-e-e-N" format in the display advertising for a Bowery Boys film (and I have many of the original theater poster lobbycards in my collection).

I received The Bowery Boys volume 3 and immediately set about watching the first 3 films ANGELS' ALLEY (1947), JINX MONEY (1948) and ANGELS IN DISGUISE (1949) all from the groups' more "serious" period. These were not only splendid films but the video transfers were also quite good which surprised me. If the remainder of the set maintains this identical high source element quality (or even better) then I am certainly in for some most enjoyable viewing ahead of me.

One need only watch Leo Gorcey really perform in ANGELS' ALLEY (1947) and ANGELS IN DISGUISE (1949) during his "hospital" scenes to appreciate his compentency as a dramatic actor.

I was surprised to see Sheldon Leonard (previously in BOWERY BOMBSHELL [1946]) once again in JINX MONEY (1948). I always liked the film (and still do) but hadn't seen it in ages.

Thus far I can highly recommend this extraordinary set!

Jeff T.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
These are, indeed extraordinary sets! In my opinion, It's quite amazing that as of October 2013, thirty six Bowery Boys Features are now available on DVD! Compound the fact that only one sixth (!) of that number have EVER been released on VHS (And none in any other format!), and it's even more staggering! All six 1992 VHS releases SPOOK BUSTERS; BLUES BUSTERS; HARD BOILED MAHONEY; BOWERY BUCKAROOS; GHOST CHASERS and CLIPPED WINGS are on the first two Warner Archive Bowery Boys Volumes. For the record, all six tapes are also currently available on, or through eBay at prices ranging from $1.90 to $14.95 apiece. Of course, sometime in early 2014, ALL forty eight Bowery Boys Films will be on Home Video (Legitimately, at least!) for the very first time! These are great times for Slip 'N Sach and Company!

CHEERS!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I have been viewing The Bowery Boys films in the chronological order that they have been presented in the current volume 3 (standard) DVD release and finally had the opportunity to see exactly what I was anxiously looking forward to: Leo Gorcey's final two appearances.Between PARIS PLAYBOYS (1954) and DIG THAT URANIUM! (1956) the facial aging in Leo (due to the ravages of his excessive drinking) is startling (and noticeable) to witness. Director Edward Bernds said that Leo was "drunk" during the filming of DIG THAT URANIUM! (1956) and he obviously is in the first half of the movie. It has been reported that Ed Bernds approached Leo and as a "friend" advising him for his own well being to lay off the booze. Leo responded by nastily "spitting" in his face. Not surprisingly this would be the last time that Ed Bernds would direct a film in the series. Despite this outrage it appears that Leo smartened up and pulled himself together for the latter half. At the time Leo's father was still very much alive so something else must have been seriously preying on him.Some (authorities) feel that Leo is clearly "sloshed" in CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) but I saw absolutely no evidence of this (except possibly for the aforementioned brief moment when Leo jumps through a ground floor Las Vegas hotel room window and can be fleetingly seen losing his balance once he lands on his feet outside in the alley followed by an immediate cut). While Leo performed satisfactorily with no signs of inebriation (or bereavement) to speak of he facially looks even worse (or radically different) from DIG THAT URANIUM! (1956).Huntz Hall is also showing (some) signs of aging as well in these latter produced films (it has been alleged that he had a tendency to "hit the bottle" at times while working as well).All told it was a satisfactory wrap and on the basis of what I saw in CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) I am sure that Leo could have continued on if he had a mind to. I am very pleased to (finally) have CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) in my collection and will refer to it often.Now we come to Stanley Clemens. CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) was filmed in December 1955 (a good three months after the death of Bernard Gorcey) and released in April 1956. Contrary to what has been reported the selection of Stanley Clemens was (likely) not immediate. It took time to reorganize and find a suitable replacement as FIGHTING TROUBLE (1956) was released in September 1956.After viewing HOT SHOTS (1956) if I have any criticism it's that Stanley Clemens looks too ordinary (or normal) and his role is played absolutely "straight" with all the comedy being left exclusively to Huntz Hall. Leo Gorcey was very funny in his own right and this important (or contributing) element is completely lacking in Stanley Clemens' characterization (and films).The producers carried on as best they could under the most difficult of circumstances. The show must (and did) go on but I still wish that fate hadn't been so cruel and that Leo Gorcey (and Bernard Gorcey) could have finished the series to the end. At least for this (The) Bowery Boys fan it is very hard to let go.Jeff T.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy to say that I received my copy of Volume 3 a couple of days ago - arrived without a hitch, and the discs are pressed!

I haven't settled into watching any of the films, but I'm just tickled to near death at being able to have all these movies together in what will eventually be just 4 volumes!

Question about MR. HEX. From the very beginning we'd heard that this film was the one giving WB a lot of trouble in finding a decent print. Does anyone know if that problem got resolved, or might we be in for a longer waiting period for the final volume release?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
If you "dig" into this extensive discussion thread one of the moderators (likely Ron Epstein) disclosed that an original 35mm print negative for MR. HEX (1946) was found so it would seem that the "problem" has (or should have) been resolved on this.

I am not in any hurry for volume 4 myself. After the long anticipated volume 1 I have been patient on all of this. In retrospect it really hasn't been all that much of a wait. When it comes out I will (definitely) buy it. If I'm still around that is. Anything can happen in life.

With Leo's final outing released some of the anticipation for myself has been somewhat dissipated.

As it was previously suggested to fully (and correctly) exhibit the latter production transitions in the series I also wish that DIG THAT URANIUM (1956), CRASHING LAS VEGAS (1956) and FIGHTING TROUBLE (1956) had been featured consecutively. But they are likely trying to maintain a quality balance with the good and only average films.

Jeff T.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In my opinion, Warner has been pretty smart in the release of the first three Bowery Boys Volumes. For instance, because four of the seven Stanley Clements Entries have already been included in the third Volume, the last Set will still consist mostly of Leo Gorcey led Features. Also, the heretofore problematic Titles MR. HEX and SPY CHASERS will be on Volume 4, and should have their best possible presentation within this much anticipated final Set!

Regarding the upcoming Volume 4, I can't help but wonder if Warner might include any extras, such as the Bowery Boys Documentary that Leo Gorcey Junior has been working on. This, along with some Bowery Boys Trailers would make a great capper for the Bowery Boys Volumes!

CHEERS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks