1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    The new website made it unable to log in using the account username and password and unable to request a new password while using the the account username (at least in my case) the trick is to use your account's email address to request a new password and login using your email and new password. Only then was I able to resurrect my old account and make my username "valid" again.

As for editing posts, the option is available once you refresh the page. For some reason, the option isn't there immediately after posting.

2. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Well-Known Member

Anthony
    Original username: tony bensley

Thanks for the tips, JoHud, though it may not help me with my predicament!

The problem in my case, turns out to have been caused, at least in part by the fact that I initially registered under a different username (Tboneator64), but then would connect through my 'tony bensley' (Which unfortunately, became disconnected through HTF's changeover!) facebook account. Tech support suggested I create another HTF account as Tony Bensley so that they could relink that to the posts from my 'Tboneator64' HTF account. However, I have personally found that I cannot use my facebook to connect to my new account, as that uses the email address I have linked to my other 'Tboneator64' HTF account, and thus automatically connects to that one instead! Hopefully, tech support has more success than I have!

CHEERS!

3. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Well-Known Member

Excellent! What a great job Warner is doing with these, both in presentation and in speed! I will order mine right away.

Question: What was that one film that was broadcast on TCM with its reels out of order? Is that one on this collection and - if so - I hope the movie is in correct sequence.

4. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
  5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Happy Day....

Photo on 4-9-13 at 7.49 PM #2.jpg

6. Russ AM

Russ AM Member

Russell
    Got the WA email today about this. Vol 2 promises to have the same quality that made Vol 1 great, down to the first batch of DVDs being pressed. The (presumed) slight delay for this release is a minor inconvenience. Way to go, WA!

7. Tony Bensley

Anthony
    That would be SPY CHASERS from 1955. No, it isn't included in the Bowery Boys Volume 2 set. I would imagine that this, along with the other problematic BB titles, will likely be held over until the final volume 4 is issued in the fall or thereabouts, assuming Warner Archives stated schedule holds!

Here is a reprint of the Bowery Boys filmography that appeared in a previous post (All bolded titles are in volume 1 or volume 2)

The Bowery Boys titles in Bold have been released by Warner Archive.
    1946 Live Wires
    1946 In Fast Company
    1946 Bowery Bombshell
    1946 Spook Busters
    1946 Mr. Hex
    1947 Hard Boiled Mahoney
    1947 News Hounds
    1947 Bowery Buckaroos
    1948 Angels' Alley
    1948 Jinx Money
    1948 Smugglers' Cove
    1948 Trouble Makers
    1949 Fighting Fools
    1949 Hold That Baby!
    1949 Angels in Disguise
    1949 Master Minds
    1950 Blonde Dynamite
    1950 Lucky Losers
    1950 Triple Trouble
    1950 Blues Busters
    1951 Bowery Battalion
    1951 Ghost Chasers
    1951 Let's Go Navy!
    1951 Crazy Over Horses
    1952 Hold That Line
    1952 Here Come the Marines
    1952 Feudin' Fools
    1952 No Holds Barred
    1953 Jalopy
    1953 Loose in London
    1953 Clipped Wings
    1953 Private Eyes
    1954 Paris Playboys
    1954 The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters
    1954 Jungle Gents
    1955 Bowery to Bagdad
    1955 High Society
    1955 Spy Chasers
    1955 Jail Busters
    1956 Dig That Uranium
    1956 Crashing Las Vegas
    1956 Fighting Trouble
    1956 Hot Shots
    1957 Hold That Hypnotist
    1957 Spook Chasers
    1957 Looking for Danger
    1957 Up in Smoke
    1958 In the Money
    CHEERS!

8. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Spy Chasers might make it to Vol. 3. Since they're doing new remasters on them, I'm thinking something like the problem on the TCM print is pretty easily fixed if it's even an issue with their new elements.

As for Vol 4, I'm thinking that most if not all of the post-Leo Gorcey films will be released on that set, along with whatever other Bowery Boys films remain unreleased. It seems they've been holding off on those later films so far and I suspect they will continue to do so once Vol 3 comes out.

9. Tony Bensley

Anthony
    I could see SPY CHASERS making it to volume 3, as an out of sequence issue should be easily remedied. However, I do think we'll likely have to wait for volume 4 to see MISTER HEX, which would make a nice companion piece to the Stanley Clements led remake, HOLD THAT HYPNOTIST.

CHEERS!

10. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Well Tony glad to see you got your name back. Hope everything else is back also.

11. Tony Bensley

Anthony
    Thanks! I had to open another account so that tech support could link it with my other one. However, I still have to send my past posts to them ad hoc in order to get my name reattached to them. As they number in the hundreds, that will take a bit of time and effort on my part! Guess that'll teach me to connect to HTF through a third party social network (Apparently that's the reason tech support is unable to re-associate my past posts outright!), LOL!

CHEERS!

12. DeWilson

DeWilson Well-Known Member

Denny
    HOLD THAT HYPNOTIST was a remake of MISTER HEX?

13. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    Although no one has mentioned it, I have my fingers crossed that these are factory pressed disc like the first set. Regardless, I'm looking to this set which include 2 of my favorite Bowery Boys movies Smuggler's Cove and Meet The Monsters .

14. John Hermes

John Hermes Well-Known Member

John Hermes
    THE BOWERY BOYS COLLECTION, VOLUME TWO (1946-55): Slip, Sach and the rest of the crew are back for another heaping selection of hilarity that delivers up a full decade of Bowery brou-ha-has. Charter the Boys’ course from their crime and Saturday-serial flavored comedy beginnings alongside fellow Dead Enders Bobby Jordan and Gabe Dell to full on Stoogian slapstick insanity, as Horace Debussy Jones, Jr. starts to take center stage. Contains some of the Boys’ most beloved outings including Spook Busters,Private Eyes and perhaps their most famous outing, The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters. These films have been remastered from the best available 35mm film elements. Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand.

15. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Totally missed this, ordering.......

NOW!

16. JeffT.

JeffT. Well-Known Member

Thank you for the much appreciated update. THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954)! Their masterpiece!

I really have to frankly say this (without bursting someone's blood vessels from aggravation) but those WB Online Shop (THE) BOWERY BOYS video download samplers have been fully restored and digitally remastered which is (precisely) why they look so great. Unfortunately the actual films themselves have not been similarly restored which can be misleading.

Anyway the w-i-d-escreen imagery of THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954) looks absolutely fantastic and I am amazed that these "second feature" B-film doublebill programmers made the (lofty) transition so immediately.

Time to place my preorder!

Jeff T.

:D

17. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Watched The Bowery Boys Meet The Monsters. Looked quite good on
    a 60" display. Very little debris to seen. A few quick shots looked blurred
    (one during a scene where Slip and Sach are arguing in bed), but otherwise
    I was very satisfied with the transfer.

18. Tony Bensley

Anthony
    Perhaps the blurred shots were right before or after a reel change, which isn't an uncommon occurrence. Anyway, based on what I've seen in the first Bowery Boys volume so far, the transfers do look very good! I'll have to watch the third and fourth discs on this set before I get volume 2, which I plan to order in a couple of weeks.

CHEERS!

19. Jakerman1988

Jakerman1988 Well-Known Member

I need to get the first two volumes of them, even though I already have all 48 features that I got from a friend of mine whose name I will not mention on here for privacy reasons. I can't believe how many people complained about the quality on some of them from volume one. They have to understand that Monogram never took good care of their negatives. They are enjoyable, despite the fact that the post-1952 Bowery features are the best.

20. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Private Eyes is Academy ratio on this set. Looks like the WAC does the widescreen switch later down the line.