What's new

THE BOWERY BOYS on DVD: continuing discussion of Warner's eventual release plans (NEW UPDATE 10/2 Po (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Joe Karlosi said:
I wonder how Volume One is selling? I'm curious if WB could have released them as standard DVD sets (not that I'm complaining in this case, with an early 'pressed' copy!)..
As it is labelled on the package as DVD-R, it is my assumption that Warner Archive will be reverting to that format at some point (If thay haven't already done so!). Hopefully, we'll hear an announcement from WA regarding the Bowery Boys Volume 2 set soon! CHEERS!

Russ AM

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell
tony bensley said:
It is my assumption that the DVD-Rs would be a purplish or bluish color on the playing side of the DVD's (Mine are not, which makes me think they are pressed.). Do you know if that is the case, Russ? CHEERS!
Yes, DVD-Rs are purplish/bluish colored on their playable sides. :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Russ AM said:
Yes, DVD-Rs are purplish/bluish colored on their playable sides. :)
Thank you, Russ! I had read somewhere that DVD-Rs can sometimes have a normal colored playable surface, but I wouldn't think that it would be all that common! At any rate, I've encountered no compatibility issues regarding playback of THE BOWERY BOYS Volume 1 on any of my DVD players or PC, which is my number one concern! CHEERS!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
If anyone still need to buy this set , I bought a second copy this week from Movies Unlimited , and they are still selling factory pressed DVD's of Bowery Boys Set one.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Volume 2 is being released this Tuesday! From their press release
THE BOWERY BOYS COLLECTION, VOLUME TWO (1946-55): Slip, Sach and the rest of the crew are back for another heaping selection of hilarity that delivers up a full decade of Bowery brou-ha-has. Charter the Boys’ course from their crime and Saturday-serial flavored comedy beginnings alongside fellow Dead Enders Bobby Jordan and Gabe Dell to full on Stoogian slapstick insanity, as Horace Debussy Jones, Jr. starts to take center stage. Contains some of the Boys’ most beloved outings including Spook Busters, Private Eyes and perhaps their most famous outing, The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters. These films have been remastered from the best available 35mm film elements. Initial quantities of this release will be traditionally replicated (pressed) in anticipation of high consumer demand.

Includes: Spook Busters (1946) Hard Boiled Mahoney (1947) Bowery Buckaroos (1947) Smuggler’s Cove (1948) Ghost Chasers (1951) Let’s Go Navy! (1951) Hold That Line (1952) Loose in London (1953) Clipped Wings (1953) Private Eyes (1953) The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters (1954) High Society (1955)
wac-new-release-4-9_05.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The last three were composed for 1.85:1.

Are they widescreen in this release?

PRIVATE EYES, which started filming on 7/25/53 was the first widescreen for the Boys.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Bowery Boys titles in Bold have been released by Warner Archive.

1946 Live Wires
1946 In Fast Company
1946 Bowery Bombshell
1946 Spook Busters
1946 Mr. Hex
1947 Hard Boiled Mahoney
1947 News Hounds
1947 Bowery Buckaroos
1948 Angels' Alley
1948 Jinx Money
1948 Smugglers' Cove
1948 Trouble Makers
1949 Fighting Fools
1949 Hold That Baby!
1949 Angels in Disguise
1949 Master Minds
1950 Blonde Dynamite
1950 Lucky Losers
1950 Triple Trouble
1950 Blues Busters
1951 Bowery Battalion
1951 Ghost Chasers
1951 Let's Go Navy!
1951 Crazy Over Horses
1952 Hold That Line
1952 Here Come the Marines
1952 Feudin' Fools
1952 No Holds Barred
1953 Jalopy
1953 Loose in London
1953 Clipped Wings
1953 Private Eyes
1954 Paris Playboys
1954 The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters
1954 Jungle Gents
1955 Bowery to Bagdad
1955 High Society
1955 Spy Chasers
1955 Jail Busters
1956 Dig That Uranium
1956 Crashing Las Vegas
1956 Fighting Trouble
1956 Hot Shots
1957 Hold That Hypnotist
1957 Spook Chasers
1957 Looking for Danger
1957 Up in Smoke
1958 In the Money

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Original Username: tony bensley

It's nice to hear the BB second volume has been issued, though a bit more heads up from Warner Archive would have been helpful. I will now have to wait till at least the end of the month to order my copy!

I've missed receiving my Home Theater Forum email alerts, while I've been waiting for tech support to try to recover my user name (I'm currently listed as Guest__*) AND post count, as they both unfortunately got lost with HTF's changeover. At the time, I was told they could only guarantee that my post count would be recovered. It has now been a week since I've contacted them, and I still haven't received any news! Am very frustrated by this regurgitatin' development, LOL!

CHEERS!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

According to Movies Unlimited, The Bowery Boys, Vol. 2 is available for preorder at $44.95 in advance of an April 19 release date.

I would have edited my above post to reflect that except apparently, with my current status as a Guest member, I CAN'T! AARRGGHH!!!

CHEERS!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Glad to see you back Tony. Look forward to your future thoughtful posts. Can not wait to get Volume 2. It looks like WAC is on their schedule. Thank goodness

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
ahollis said:
Glad to see you back Tony. Look forward to your future thoughtful posts.Can not wait to get Volume 2. It looks like WAC is on their schedule. Thank goodness

Thank you for your kind words, Allen! I just hope I can soon post under my proper username once again. Guess I'll just have to wait and see!

CHEERS!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazing that a year ago many thought we would never see The Bowery Boys on DVD.

Today, we find ourselves overwhelmed and there are still more to come!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Tboneator64 said:
I've missed receiving my Home Theater Forum email alerts, while I've been waiting for tech support to try to recover my user name (I'm currently listed as Guest__*) AND post count, as they both unfortunately got lost with HTF's changeover. At the time, I was told they could only guarantee that my post count would be recovered. It has now been a week since I've contacted them, and I still haven't received any news! Am very frustrated by this regurgitatin' development, LOL!
Tboneator64 said:
I would have edited my above post to reflect that except apparently, with my current status as a Guest member, I CAN'T! AARRGGHH!!!
The new website made it unable to log in using the account username and password and unable to request a new password while using the the account username (at least in my case) the trick is to use your account's email address to request a new password and login using your email and new password. Only then was I able to resurrect my old account and make my username "valid" again.

As for editing posts, the option is available once you refresh the page. For some reason, the option isn't there immediately after posting.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoHud said:
The new website made it unable to log in using the account username and password and unable to request a new password while using the the account username (at least in my case) the trick is to use your account's email address to request a new password and login using your email and new password. Only then was I able to resurrect my old account and make my username "valid" again.

As for editing posts, the option is available once you refresh the page. For some reason, the option isn't there immediately after posting.
Original username: tony bensley

Thanks for the tips, JoHud, though it may not help me with my predicament!

The problem in my case, turns out to have been caused, at least in part by the fact that I initially registered under a different username (Tboneator64), but then would connect through my 'tony bensley' (Which unfortunately, became disconnected through HTF's changeover!) facebook account. Tech support suggested I create another HTF account as Tony Bensley so that they could relink that to the posts from my 'Tboneator64' HTF account. However, I have personally found that I cannot use my facebook to connect to my new account, as that uses the email address I have linked to my other 'Tboneator64' HTF account, and thus automatically connects to that one instead! Hopefully, tech support has more success than I have!

CHEERS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks