What's new

The Blacklist Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It turns out NBC didn't want to shoot itself in the foot when they replaced The Blacklist with a Voice recap show:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/ratings-rat-race-almost-human-down-in-move-to-monday/

"The hot new drama had planned a big two-parter to wrap its uninterrupted fall run (and the November sweep), but star James Spader’s illness pushed that by a week. Broadcast dramas are on such tight delivery schedules that anything unforeseen can disrupt the air pattern. Instead of running a Blacklist repeat, NBC opted to shift The Voice from 9-11 PM and air Voice recap at 8 PM."

It's old news but it does clear up that mystery in case anyone was still wondering.

A slightly unsatisfying conclusion to last week's cliffhanger. But it did shift the dynamics of the show, which helps keeps it fresh. And it looks like we won't have to wait all that long to see where the show is headed:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/nbc-the-blacklist-gets-january-original-run/

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hanson said:
It turns out NBC didn't want to shoot itself in the foot when they replaced The Blacklist with a Voice recap show:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/ratings-rat-race-almost-human-down-in-move-to-monday/

"The hot new drama had planned a big two-parter to wrap its uninterrupted fall run (and the November sweep), but star James Spader’s illness pushed that by a week. Broadcast dramas are on such tight delivery schedules that anything unforeseen can disrupt the air pattern. Instead of running a Blacklist repeat, NBC opted to shift The Voice from 9-11 PM and air Voice recap at 8 PM."

It's old news but it does clear up that mystery in case anyone was still wondering.

A slightly unsatisfying conclusion to last week's cliffhanger. But it did shift the dynamics of the show, which helps keeps it fresh. And it looks like we won't have to wait all that long to see where the show is headed:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/nbc-the-blacklist-gets-january-original-run/
Why was it unsatisfying to you?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I was expecting more of an action movie/Die Hard kind of conclusion. Instead, Lizzie gets captured and everything kind of fizzles out from there. The major action sequence was a red herring and involved anonymous stuntmen and no one from the cast. It could have been stock footage.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hanson said:
I was expecting more of an action movie/Die Hard kind of conclusion. Instead, Lizzie gets captured and everything kind of fizzles out from there. The major action sequence was a red herring and involved anonymous stuntmen and no one from the cast. It could have been stock footage.
You have higher standards than I then.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hanson said:
Yeah, I kinda agree. I zoned out a lot during this episode. I perk up for the interesting plot points but lose interest in generic violence, especially by non-cast extras.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found it a very satisfying wrap-up for the two-parter. And some new wrinkles in characters and the show's premise when it comes back in January.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
.....But, like Chuck, a core conceit is that he knows all the key players and many of their plays in motion. At some point his knowledge starts to get stale, being in partial custody, and because he is destroying his own knowledge by helping take others out of play. (Power vacuum, and new unknown actors step in to fill the void.)
As Adam pointed out he is in play so his information in theory would never go stale even as new criminals step up to fill the voids.
DaveF said:
I think Lizzy's dad had the clarity of a deathbed: family secrets are worse than the truth. Red killed him for it. Undoubtedly there are "reasons", but we all know the truth will be outed, and for that Red is demonstrated to in no way be a warm fuzzy nice guy.
It is not "clarity" it's called guilt and the reality is in many cases it is far better that the secrets remain secrets than the truth being told. Often there is not enough time for the parties to work through the new realities and the survivors are left with more anguish and questions then any real healing.

Really liked the two part arc and am looking forward to the January return.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Matt Hough said:
I found it a very satisfying wrap-up for the two-parter. And some new wrinkles in characters and the show's premise when it comes back in January.
I thought so too and have found this to be one of my absolute favorite shows on TV, new or otherwise. It has been very well written so far and I'm enjoying the cast and wonderful acting by most all the main characters. The two part mid-season finale I thought was one of the best I have seen for any show in a few years. There are starting to be some tones of 24 to it and I like that as well.

For where they go from here, it was kind of a reset, except we know Red will protect Lizzy no matter what and is all he cares about in this world. When it ever comes out he is in fact her real Father, I think it will be more established than revealing it now. There are many things we don't know about his character and I took it to be that Red though of her Father, in every sense of the word, being dead from the day "the fire" happened in Lizzy's childhood on. I still think Red is some sort of ultra secret spy playing all sides for the US Government or something like that. He erased everything in his past on and became dead for all purposes to protect the only one he cares about, Lizzy. It has something to do with the Alan Alda character, what we don't know. But maybe the government knew about this secret group all along and Red is working in secret from everyone but the ultimate authority, the President (past or present) and only that office knows the real story.

Anyway, sure looking forward to seeing where this goes when it returns in January.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I recently caught the two part midseason finale and came on here expecting to see the show getting panned for how bad it is...only to see the general consensus is that most really enjoyed it. I don't want to thread fart on people's enjoyment of the show so all I'll say is I must have been watching a different show.
Jeffery_H said:
It has been very well written so far
Now I'm CONVINCED I was watching a different show or I'm in the wrong thread. :P

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Hanson said:
I recently caught the two part midseason finale and came on here expecting to see the show getting panned for how bad it is...only to see the general consensus is that most really enjoyed it. I don't want to thread fart on people's enjoyment of the show so all I'll say is I must have been watching a different show.

Now I'm CONVINCED I was watching a different show or I'm in the wrong thread. :P
What I don't understand if you think the show is bad, why do you keep watching it?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Robert Crawford said:
What I don't understand if you think the show is bad, why do you keep watching it?
Fair question. I never deleted the series from my DVR and when I saw them still showing up I started watching them while working out. I won't watch any of the shows I really enjoy while working out because I feel like I can't give them the full attention they deserve and/or I don't get as much enjoyment out of them.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Oh my god, I could spend hours typing out all of the things that are wrong with the show starting with the DOA lead actress.

But all of that is trumped by James Spader. So much fun to watch.

BTW, I noticed the central Spader tic is that thing where it looks like he ate some popcorn and is trying to work out a piece of the kernel shell that's stuck in between his back teeth. Now I can't stop doing it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hanson said:
Oh my god, I could spend hours typing out all of the things that are wrong with the show starting with the DOA lead actress.

But all of that is trumped by James Spader. So much fun to watch.

BTW, I noticed the central Spader tic is that thing where it looks like he ate some popcorn and is trying to work out a piece of the kernel shell that's stuck in between his back teeth. Now I can't stop doing it.
Completely agree. Spader is fantastic, the lead actress is terrible. Thankfully, they seem to get this as he gets more and more minutes, her storyline less.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Given the very tired wandering eyes storyline they've saddled Liz's husband with, he pretty much has to be a secret uber-assassin at this point.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If my wife made it clear that her job was her number one priority, above me and our planned family, and she was completely inflexible on that point, my eye would be wandering too. He needs to dump her.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Malcolm R said:
If my wife made it clear that her job was her number one priority, above me and our planned family, and she was completely inflexible on that point, my eye would be wandering too. He needs to dump her.
That is narrow sighted.So you'd never date...NewscastersNursesDoctorsPolice officers Politicians There are certain professions where the job is first. Especially for some police and firefighters. If they don't treat their job as No 1...there won't be a 2nd or 3rd to come home to.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm out.

I started the "Good Samaritan" episode last night, and quit halfway through the first scene. I finished tonight. Lingering torture and Red's cold-hearted brutality. I couldn't take it. I hated it. The episode shows I can't trust the show. Its creators showed a tremendous lack of sense for that episode (from my perspective) and there's no reason to think they won't do that again.

Deleted the last two episodes and removed the Season Pass from my TiVo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks