What's new

The Biggest Loser Season 6 discussion (1 Viewer)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Last week was the 2 hour premiere of The Biggest Loser Families. I really like the contestants this year and I already have my favorite team picked out.

While Bob still seems the same Gillian seems to have gotten a tad bit more hardcore and is going to just rip her team to shreds. I don't know, she just seems so mean this season. While I understand the whole "these people are here to make changes not waste our time" thing, she doesn't have to make these poor people cry every second of the day.

Anyone else watching? What did you think?

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am watching. It usually takes me a couple of weeks to pick out a favorite.

One thing occurred to me though. If they kick off a team each week, there are only going to be 6 more weeks left. Is this right? Or will they go back to single eliminations?

I have never liked Gillians style. I think it is important to treat people like humans. She seems more intent on punishing them for being fat, instead of helping them loose weight.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I'm not really sure if they are going to go down to single eliminations or not. My husband and I actualyl thought they should let all the teams stay for atleast a little while before booting someone off the first week. I don't know this show is suppose to be about helping people make good lifestyle changes and I think booting them off first week sort of defeats that.

As for Gillian, yeah she is a bit extreme. People seem to love her though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I got sucked into BL last year, and really enjoyed the couples episode. This season will hopefully have the same strengths. I've found that I just tolerate the first few episodes. I enjoy it more later when there are fewer teams and the personalities and apparent.

I don't care for Jillian's drill instructor approach, but she seems to find it effective.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I havent seen any of this seasons shows but I have seen them in the past and Jillian always seemed to care about the people she trained. So Im a bit suprised about the comments being made about her here.

Remember last year when one of her teammates didnt make weight and when asked why Jillian came to her rescue saying to lay off the girl and give her a break.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
From last season, it seems Jillian cares a lot. But that translates into vicious verbal attacks to motivate them to change. Most pointedly, she told a daughter to continue exercising until her father -- a man of ill health -- either finished his time on the treadmill or he fell dead trying to. It was a cruel, needless comment and nearly reduced the girl to tears.

But maybe that's the only way to get through to someone 200 lbs overweight? Or maybe it makes for good TV? Jillian believes in it, either way.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Jillian comes off as hardcore, but if you've ever listened to her radio show on KFI, she really knows her stuff and cares for the contestants.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Last nights episode was fun to watch. I got such a kick out of the slip n slide challenge. I will say that the daughter from the yellow team (who I am rooting for to win) really shocked me by going for that $10,000 prize. 14 lbs is a big amount to lose in the second week and although it could be done, I really didn't think it would be done.

I was so afraid that they were going to get booted, but alas, the grey team is gone!

Jillian seemed a bit more chill this episode, although her looks could kill. She gives people this evil stare and just puts the fear into them. While I guess that would be a great motivator to some, others don't take kindly to her verbal abuse.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I keep getting this vibe from the editing that the daughter on the yellow team is either going to make it far or be in the final 3. She has the drive, and from last night, the ability to go for it. 6 lbs in the second week is pretty impressive.

I don't know who decides their diets while on the show, but i bet a little tweaking would eliminate the second week slump easily. A Zig-Zag diet would work much better than the apparent extremely low calorie diet.

Matt_A

Stunt Coordinator
Jillian may seem really hardcore, but she gets results. Her people have won the show in all the seasons she has been involved with. The only season that a member of Bob's team won was the year that Kim was the Red trainer. I often wonder which of the trainers has more long term results.

I enjoy watching this show, mostly because it shows the transformation that these people make from being completely out of control to being in shape with a handle on why they were the way they were.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I are big fans of The Biggest Loser. You know what was the big thing I noticed from the premier episode?!?

A killer application of LFE! My subwoofer was rocking the house during that episode. It was crazy. While still present in Ep. 2, it seemed dialed down a little bit.

The Biggest Loser certainly is an interesting concept and it seems like viewers really seem to respond to the program and its participants and their stories.

My wife and I have watched for the past few years and have actually lost about 30 pounds apiece since the beginning of this year. We are already seeing that having the program back on is a kick-in-the-butt to step up the exercise programs and get back to work. We are in our mid-to-late 40s and nowhere near in as bad a shape as the contestants on the program...but it sure is nice to get back into the range we were when we were newlyweds (26 years ago!).

I am sometimes surprised we like the show as much as we do because it is filled with bad editing, schmaltzy music and such. The amount of repetition heading into and out of commercial breaks is enough to drive anyone batty. And the hosting (both Caroline Rhea and Allison Sweeney) couldn't be more wooden. But somehow the show seems to work.

I always thought it would be cool if the executive producer, JD Roth, hosted the show. Back in the late 80s/early '90s, he hosted a Saturday AM kids' game show called Fun House. He was really good at it and has the right type of personality to keep things exciting. But I see he has just assumed hosting duties of some new game show on another network which (weirdly enough) is airing OPPOSITE The Biggest Loser.

It's also been interesting to see the health-impaired contestants this season. While they are a bit of a drag when it comes to the challenges, I think they really put a face to the dangers of obesity and it will be nice to see them stick around awhile and improve physically. Those guys will also serve as inspirations to many who maybe think they, too, are too far gone to try and change.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My wife and I agree that the members of the black team (not including Amy) are making it hard now to watch the rest of this season of TBL.

It seems pretty certain that Brady through the weigh-in from two weeks ago and then had huge results this week. The high school dramatics of Heba have GOT to go and Vicky just seems like, well, you know.

Blue team's members seem like real nice folks. i hope they can hold together under the circumstances. Sorry to see Phil go this week.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree that Heba is acting like she is in high school. I also agree that Brady was playing games with his weight loss.

It will be very interesting to see how things change now that they are going to individual competition next episode.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Mike, I think you've got your black and blue reversed. Either that or my memory has gotten really bad. But i thought the same thing. Renee, Michelle, Coleen and even Phil, (plus Amy the other daughter who has been on the other team), just seem like nicer people than Brady, Vicky and Heba.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
One of the most satisfying reality show votes EVER, tonight, on The Biggest Loser! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

My wife and I both exclaimed in happiness when Amy decided it was in her best interest to vote Brady off instead of Michelle! Woohoo!

The editors did a nice job laying the groundwork with remarks about how Bob insists his blue shirt team all vote together and Amy's mother telling her to watch out for herself. As soon as I heard that Brady would be the loser in a tie, I KNEW that's how it was going to go down. :D

John: You are dead-on right. I had a major brain fart and got my teams reversed.

I can only imagine the reaction Vicky & Heba will have with Amy after that vote. The promo for next week hints that it will be intense! What drama! Those girls will be in full-blown soap opera/high school mode next week.

It was very telling to see the openness of the blue team's hatred of Phil and the way that impacted on the entire crew of contestants as they all reunited. It was cool that they left that all in for the audience to see.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
It pisses me off that they are no longer in teams, yet they are still keeping the blue and black. Before Brady was voted off, there were 8 contestants, they should have been given 8 different colored t-shirts. They all had to take one team color when they went into teams. The reverse should have happened after they were taken out of the teams. Also, Amy should have moved back to training with Jillian, since she was in the parent-child group vs. the husband-wife group. Maybe if things are too intense, she will ask Alli to move her and Alli will agree.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I could not believe Amy did not vote off Vicky when she had the chance.

BIG MISTAKE!!!!

I like Amy but this makes her seem DUMB. If it were reversed, Vicky would have voted her off in a second. I think somehow she bought into the whole, "I can't vote against my team again", thing. When she should have been looking out for herself and Vicky will still hold that grudge and vote her off if she gets a chance.

mike caronia

Second Unit
No doubt. Vicky will vote out Amy this week.
Worst move ever by a contestant on this show.
Amy is the biggest loser to this point and could have won.
Vicky is a psychotic bitch, and is looking for revenge. Did you see that note she put on the door? she's an asshole for sure.

I'm going to stop watching, as it seems there's no way to stop Vicky, Ed and Heba from running the table from here out. They are just despicable people, include Brady in that group and I can't think of 4 people I've liked less on this show ever. Just awful people... The way they treated Phil was just embarrassing. And obviously, the producers and editors think so too, as they have gotten tremendously shitty edits.

Amy C you dummy!!! You had it and YOU BLEW IT!!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hoped upon hope that Amy would vote off Vicky, too. But I think I see why she did it. She looked at the two contestants and saw Coleen as the contestant who was a bigger threat to actually become the Biggest Loser and beat her for the title.

It definitely would have made sense because of the alliance to get rid of Vicky...but maybe she thinks she can outwork the rest of them and thought Coleen would be the toughest to beat and stay above the yellow line.

I'm with you all on how annoying Vicky & Brady are. Just awful. Amazingly, Vicky almost made Heba & Ed look like sympathetic characters in this last episode. Almost...not quite. ;)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This is the first season I have watched that I felt that the contestants were acting like big babies. Heba and Vicki are just so over the top with their annoying behavior. I was so sad to see Colleen go. I was rooting for her to win this whole thing.

I hope Amy sees what a horrible mistake she made by not voting out Vicki.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks