What's new

The Big Lebowski: CE - 10.18.05 (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

So are you equating "softness" and "lack of fine detail" to "filtering"? I'm not trying to be obtuse, I'm trying to be on the same footing so I know what you are looking for (and yes, I have reference, ISF-calibrated video equipment).

- Stev

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yes. High frequency filtering during compression typically results in lack of fine detail, i.e., an overall softness to the image. I believe that it's usually done to decrease the size of the VOB files on-disc as a space savng measure.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I appreciate the clarification, Doug. Yes, the picture has been softened, and you can clearly (er...softly) see that in DVDBeaver's screen grabs. Now as to whether or not that is distracting when compared to the previous releases' obvious flaws... the jury is still out.

- Steve

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Well, for me it's like asking if I'd rather have lemon juice in the paper cut on my left hand or the one on my right. :D They both suck.

"Do you see what happens, Universal? Do you see what happens when you f@ck a stranger in the a##!"

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The Dude will have to wait until Blu Ray (or HD-DVD) before a double dip. Bummer as I love this movie. :frowning:

Thanks for nada, Uni.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
some of you are going to think i'm being VERY un-dude....but i am REALLY disappointed right now.

just got finished watching the first 20 minutes of the new dvd....

i was one of the people who thought the new screenshots looked great compared to the old dvd and I couldn't wait to come on here to declare that everyone was being too picky....

well, i think this new dvd is HORRIBLE.

watching the new dvd on a large screen was not pleasant. I actually think the OLD dvd looks better for a number of reasons. First, it's basically the same exact transfer as the new dvd but without the heavy filtering. Second, the new dvd is devoid of detail, poor in contrast, and worst of all, suffers some very noticeable aliasing on areas where there should be finer detail. The inside-joke film historian intro, which was funny on BLOOD SIMPLE, is painfully unfunny and seems WAY out of place.

it's sad the the old one-layer, poorly compressed and anciently mastered dvd looks better than this 2005 "collector's edition"!

but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

sean

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Motivated by the HTF 2k5 DVD awards (in which this disc was named one of the worst of the year) and the fact that I was just about to upgrade the original release with the CE, I now wanna read this whole thread. After a quick skim, right off the bat I wanna clarify sumpin' Steve T. mentioned:

A subsid of PolyGram Records, PFE was of course acquired by Universal when U bought the record label. Typically when a film company is acquired by another company, the original rights holder's logo stays at the front of the film and the acquiring company just puts their logo in front of that (see, say, the Orion logo at the beginning of the MGM Dances With Wolves DVD).

There's music under the tail end of the Polygram Filmed Entertainment logo on the original release. Steve or anybody else: do you mean to say U actually chopped the beginning of the music at the top of the film to get rid of the PFE logo??

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
Not only is part of the music slightly cut off, the entire first shot after the studio logo is zoomed in for no apparent reason.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
wow, i never noticed that. i didn't do a back to back comparison. i already gave my old one to a friend!

it's a shame with the rabid fanbase this flick has they can't put out a decent dvd. even the fargo SE was much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks