What's new

The Big Country / Quigley Down Under Walmart Exclusives (1 Viewer)

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

anyone pick this up. Didn't see any reviews anywhere
My copy shipped yesterday and I should get it tomorrow and Thursday. I'm thinking this release is online only since it says "not sold in stores" on its online listing.

JoeBond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Myers
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

anyone pick this up. Didn't see any reviews anywhere
Mine's coming tomorrow or Thursday. I think this is online only because it says "not sold in stores" on the online listing.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I picked up both titles at the Walmart across from where I work at lunch today. I probably won't be able to watch either title until later in the week, but with any luck I'll preview The Big Country tonight after a few other things I plan to view.

- Walter.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

I picked up both titles at the Walmart across from where I work at lunch today. I probably won't be able to watch either title until later in the week, but with any luck I'll preview The Big Country tonight after a few other things I plan to view.

- Walter.

Please give us a report! I'd very much like to buy The Big Country if the picture quality is good.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Please give us a report!

Certainly. My only fear regarding a preview tonight is that once I start the film I won't be able to stop. I've been a fan of The Big Country ever since my first viewing (on Laserdisc) many years ago.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel

- Walter.

My preorder has shipped so I'm hoping for the best in regard to PQ.

Crawdaddy

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Short version: Fans of The Big Country are NOT going to be disappointed with this Blu-Ray disc. Once I started watching, I could not stop.

First the negatives: There are three scenes (two of them dark) that have a strange fluctuation in the frame. 1) When Steve challenges Jim to a fight by calling him a liar when Jim and the search party return to the Terrill ranch. 2) When Jim goes to the bunkhouse and tells Steve he wants to say "goodbye" and 3) a closeup of Jim at the Hannassey settlement in Blanco canyon shortly before the fight with Buck. Each of these scenes is brief and are the only flaw I could find in the film's presentation.

Now the positives: First, the film probably hasn't looked better since theatrical showings in 1958. Truly wonderful looking. Color is a little hard to assess during the opening due to the stylized palette and the preponderance of brown in the grass and buildings of the town. Once we shift to the interiors (at Julie's house) and later at the Terrill house the colors are much easier to judge and exhibit good saturation. Resolution is excellent. The striations in the rocks at Blanco Canyon approach the detail in the sequences at Monument Valley in The Searchers (which is about as nice a compliment as I can bestow upon a Western.) There are numerous shots of the actors superimposed over backgrounds that have some semblance of three dimensionality. (Scenes such as Jim and Julie at the house she is repairing and shortly after that at the banks of the Big Muddy.) Black levels are a little mixed but the costumes exhibit deep blacks in some sequences, such as Jim and the Major's coats at the party welcoming Jim (before Rufus shows up.) Finally, the bane of presentations - Edge Enhancement aka Haloing is no where to be found. There are numerous dark objects ( hats, structures, trees, etc.) that are set against clear blue skies and none of these objects exhibits haloing. During the closing credits film restoration is attributed to the Academy Film Archive, and they did splendid work on this title.

BTW, watching the Blu-ray tonight I was reminded just how wonderful many of the compositions were in this work. Oh yeah, Both Carroll Baker and Jean Simmons look lovely in High Definition. Purchase with confidence. Experiences like my viewing of The Big Country earlier this evening are what HT is all about.

(Viewed on an Epson 8500 FP on a 106" 16x9 screen.)

- Walter.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Thanks for the report Walter. What about the sound though, is that good? Is it a 5.1 DTS Master Audio track?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Everybody - you are welcome. It is always a pleasure to compliment a fine presentation of a film one admires.

Thanks for the report Walter. What about the sound though, is that good? Is it a 5.1 DTS Master Audio track?

It does have a DTS-HD track, but I hesitate to comment on sound as that is not really my forte. Dialog was certainly clear and legible and Jerome Moross' score was pleasurable (as always) to hear. The score felt 'full' for lack of a better term. There may have been one brief audio dropout in Jim McKay's dialog, or perhaps it was how the film was edited. Sorry, I really was watching the film more for pleasure vs. a scene by scene review of the disc so I am a little uncertain. Basically, given the vintage of the film I think the soundtrack was fine - but I leave more qualitative judgments to others.

- Walter.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Went and got both today at my local WM. $10 each. They only seemed to have two copies of each title, which seemed puzzling. Surely they'll sell more than that...?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by benbess
Went and got both today at my local WM. $10 each. They only seemed to have two copies of each title, which seemed puzzling. Surely they'll sell more than that...?

Mine is on its way, but I would be interested to hear your comments about the video quality when you get a chance.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I picked this up last night. It was the only copy they had. There were two copies of Quigley Down Under - maybe they only got two copies of "The Big Country"

I'll post my comments on the transfer after I view it (maybe tonight) Was waiting to see if anyone thought this was another "Greatest Story Ever Told" before I open it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by smithb

Mine is on its way, but I would be interested to hear your comments about the video quality when you get a chance.
I think Walter's thumbs up can give everyone confidence at this point.

I've only had time to watch literally a few minutes. The opening credit sequence has a few minor issues, which is common for films of this era, but once the credits are over the pq looks great.

I think only titles like North by Northwest, Wizard of Oz, Ten Commandments, etc., have the budgets to completely restore the opening credits. It's not to say the credits look bad on this film, it's just that you should wait until the film actually starts to judge the pq.

With this cast and the fact that it's directed by Wyler, I'd say it's a bargain for $10.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by benbess

I've only had time to watch literally a few minutes. The opening credit sequence has a few minor issues, which is common for films of this era, but once the credits are over the pq looks great.

Is the copper wash there, or is it b/w like the DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks