What's new

The Big Country / Quigley Down Under Walmart Exclusives (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by benbess

Really. I've never seen it. Can you say why. Is the Magnum PI guy in it. I'm sorry I'm blanking on his name....Someone tried to get me to go to this 20 years ago, but I had a paper to write and said no...Maybe I should see it now.

Tom Selleck plays Quigley one of the best long distance rifleman (sniper) in the world. He travels to Australia answering an ad for sharpshooters. When he finds out that the job is to kill Aborigines he declines, the man who placed the ad doesn't take kindly to being told no and tries to have Quigley killed. Quigley decides to try to return the favor and help the Aborigines, add in a crazy woman who thinks he is her husband and an epic final showdown. It was just a good movie. Tom Selleck nailed the role, it was fairly predictable (aren't most westerns?) but just overall a great movie

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Tom Selleck plays Quigley one of the best long distance rifleman (sniper) in the world. He travels to Australia answering an ad for sharpshooters. When he finds out that the job is to kill Aborigines he declines, the man who placed the ad doesn't take kindly to being told no and tries to have Quigley killed. Quigley decides to try to return the favor and help the Aborigines, add in a crazy woman who thinks he is her husband and an epic final showdown. It was just a good movie. Tom Selleck nailed the role, it was fairly predictable (aren't most westerns?) but just overall a great movie
That's a good recommend. I would like to see it. Thanks. And you're right--that's a nice list of classic Westerns that's coming out.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Anybody have an idea as to how long these are exclusive?

I've been waiting for "The Big Country" for a long time now, but since it's Wal-Mart exclusive I have to wait even longer. I haven't shopped their for more than 15 years and that won't be changing anytime soon.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I think often these exclusives last at least 4 months. I don't normally shop at Walmart either, but for this I'll make an exception.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

Exclusives have a tendency to turn up on eBay at similar prices. I picked up the 3 disc Target exclusive release of Wizard of Oz on eBay shortly after release at only a slightly higher price.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I too want a terrific Blu-ray of THE BIG COUNTRY, but I am not going to get excited until a few reviews are in. I have concerns with the number of Blu-ray catalog titles that MGM/Fox is releasing in the next few months. Not sure if they will be more like FIDDLER ON THE ROOF or more like THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'll know pretty quick. If the copper wash over the credits is missing as it was in the DVD where it came out black and white (both VHS releases, however, had it right), I'll know its a craopla release.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yeah, I'll wait for the reviews too, but if they come out fine I'll probably buy it asap.

I think it was the success of this film, wasn't it, that brought about the selection of Wyler for Ben-Hur--which was his next film.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
TCM's telecast was indeed the Film Foundation restoration. Very handsome.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Quote:

Originally Posted by David_B_K

IMHO, The Big Country has THE great western score. And I speak as a western film lover who loves many great western scores. The main title theme is one of the best ever; and Saul Bass' visuals are as great as any he has ever done (Vertigo, Psycho, Spartacus), et al). Several sequences in the film (McKay and Pat being harassed on the road to the ranch; the Major and his men riding out to the Hannesy's while Pat in her frustration rides out on her own, etc) play almost like "music videos". Jerome Moross did not write a lot of film scores; but the few he wrote are gems, and The Big Country is one of the greatest ever.

I concur; The Big Country has so much going for it, it's a constant puzzle that it doesn't rate at the very highest level amongst more film aficionados. The score is fantastic. I have everything crossed that this will be a top notch release, transfer wise.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by benbess

Yeah, I'll wait for the reviews too, but if they come out fine I'll probably buy it asap.

I think it was the success of this film, wasn't it, that brought about the selection of Wyler for Ben-Hur--which was his next film.

At $10 each I am willing to roll the dice.

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
Originally Posted by Rick Thompson

I'll know pretty quick. If the copper wash over the credits is missing as it was in the DVD where it came out black and white (both VHS releases, however, had it right), I'll know its a craopla release.

Amen!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"It's a constant puzzle that it doesn't rate at the very highest level amongst more film aficionados."--Wyler and Peck weren't crazy about it, either, Peck (who co-produced) feeling he had let audiences down. (It wasn't as big a hit as hoped). According to Jan Herman's Wyler bio it was a very exasperating shoot, burdened with constant rewrites and agitation, and Wyler left the final editing to others, relieved to be rid of the thing. (Peck and Wyler, great friends, wouldn't speak for three years afterwards.) But it's aged well and I trust the BD will show it in its best light; wish I'd checked the copper wash credits before I took the HD broadcast off my DVR but I'm pretty sure they weren't B/W.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

"It's a constant puzzle that it doesn't rate at the very highest level amongst more film aficionados."--Wyler and Peck weren't crazy about it, either, Peck (who co-produced) feeling he had let audiences down. (It wasn't as big a hit as hoped). According to Jan Herman's Wyler bio it was a very exasperating shoot, burdened with constant rewrites and agitation, and Wyler left the final editing to others, relieved to be rid of the thing. (Peck and Wyler, great friends, wouldn't speak for three years afterwards.) But it's aged well and I trust the BD will show it in its best light; wish I'd checked the copper wash credits before I took the HD broadcast off my DVR but I'm pretty sure they weren't B/W.
The HD Net Movies showing of it had the copper wash credits. This film was an okay western for me, but not one of my favorites. The score is great and so is Burl Ives, who in my opinion, was the best thing about the film except for the score. Also, Alfonso Bedoya, who's role in The Big Country is a stark contrast to his role in The Treasure of Sierra Madre as Gold Hat.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The movie was tailored to be a crowd pleaser but was nominated for two Oscars anyway, winning one for Ives (whose better-known work in CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF that same year went unnominated.) I wouldn't put it in the pantheon but the confident presentation upgraded it in my eyes (and I think Chuck Connors excels in a difficult part) and the $10 price tag at Walmart should be money well spent.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
And it has one of the great movie lines -- Connors: "you wanted me, Pa?" Ives: "Before you were born I did."

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

The HD Net Movies showing of it had the copper wash credits. This film was an okay western for me, but not one of my favorites. The score is great and so is Burl Ives, who in my opinion, was the best thing about the film except for the score. Also, Alfonso Bedoya, who's role in The Big Country is a stark contrast to his role in The Treasure of Sierra Madre as Gold Hat.

I think the Moross score and the dream cast elevates the film and makes it seem better than it perhaps really is. I think the problem with the movie is that it's just too long and bloated. The last quarter I find rather draggy. The final confrontation between the two patriarchs is downright anticlimactic. I guess it's one of those "sum of the parts is greater than the whole" kind of movies for me and has always been a favorite of mine. I preordered the Walmart exclusive immediately after hearing about it. I hope it looks as good as the HDNet version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks