What's new

The Big Bang Theory Season 7 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I still enjoy BBT, but the problem is that the character growth is really slow, and as the characters age, some of the accomplishments you expect of them need to come about. I'm not saying Sheldon completely warms up or that Leonard and Penny knock out kids. But I'm saying there has been really very little change in 7 years that would match where they are coming from.

A few seasons back they were fighting for tenure, now it's as though they all have it, no one ever feels at risk in their job or having their position change to put in someone who may be on a tenure track. You don't see them looking to take their science somewhere else, etc.

In other words, I think there is a lot of natural drama that is being sucked out of this show and as a result it isn't as fresh as I found it in the first few seasons. I thought we were going to have a moment where when Sheldon had a discovery he'd start demanding more money. I thought we might get into a lot of issues that just haven't materialized.

It's still a solid show, still gets laughs, but I'm hoping they stop coasting and actually insert some real character change now and again.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sheldon seems far from growing in character. He's more self-centered than ever. Either I'm becoming less tolerant, or he's becoming more irritating.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was an enjoyable episode, but erratic in quality. Watching the first half of the mystery party was as boring as the game itself. Fortunately, it got going in the second half. The story of Sheldon and his mom had some comedy gold.

As for character growth: I hope to see the characters evolve, since the show seems well setup for it. And it's done a great job in ways: introducing the girls. Howard is married. Leonard and Penny's relationships was fluxed in interesting ways. Raj talks. Sheldon is married. And they weren't one-and-done with a reset, as is typical. They affect the show and its comedy long-term. (In this view, Howard is the real protagonist, as he's had the most real character growth: dated, married, went to space, moved out from his mom's, and showing grace as he improves his relationship with Sheldon.)

Do other comedies have significant long-term character arcs or emotional evolution? Friends I watched erratically, but at the end of the series, it seems like the characters were who they were at the start, but in different relationships. Seinfeld: nothing? Simpons: nothing? Two and Half Men: changes in scenarios, but the characters are all the same (save for Charlie Sheen leaving). But I don't know. I think I've not really followed a comedy long-term until fairly recently.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
Sheldon seems far from growing in character. He's more self-centered than ever. Either I'm becoming less tolerant, or he's becoming more irritating.
As you probably know, it has been renewed until season 10.With Sheldon, he's a jerk. He used to be fun, got really mean and snarky, but the writers have calmed him down this past season. Yet as you say, his character never really grows. It's just rude, ignorant Sheldon.I burned out on "How I Met Your Mother" last year, even though this season is the big "surprise" ending. Don't even care any longer. Big Bang might also drop off my list. It's well written, but things get old and repetitive after a while. Time to make a few changes.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I had a thought when Sheldon and Mary had their big conversation on the couch. It would be very fun to have Laurie Metcalf on more regularly than she is now...but that would most likely get old and destroy what the show is actually about: this group of friends. As has been mentioned, those scenes were gold and I loved every second of them. This is a time when Sheldon being all high and mighty actually worked for me.

I'm surprised there hasn't been any outrage from certain viewers about their exchange. It felt like the writers taking more than one shot at religion through the story.

Frankly, the show just got a three year pick up. If the ratings are still where they are today in three years, I wouldn't be shocked to see this show going many, many more years. CBS isn't going to get rid of its golden goose.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I've felt a few of their previous conversations have been shots at religion, but not this one.. felt real. Laurie's character felt much less like a stereotype and more like a real person. "I'm not perfect."

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nathan_F said:
I've felt a few of their previous conversations have been shots at religion, but not this one.. felt real. Laurie's character felt much less like a stereotype and more like a real person. "I'm not perfect."
Agreed. Even with the humor thrown in, this felt more like a real 4-5 minute conversation for a few minutes thanthe typical Sheldon/Mom versions unlike the Dinner Table/Grounding bit(which I still love any of their interactions). Sheldon was speaking with her rather than at her.The same goes with Howard/Sheldon in the bedroom -- shockinglytransparent/serious moment for this show. Maybe Leonard and his mom will have a similar moment sometime though I'm more doubtful of that one.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Jason_V said:
Frankly, the show just got a three year pick up. If the ratings are still where they are today in three years, I wouldn't be shocked to see this show going many, many more years. CBS isn't going to get rid of its golden goose.
When I read about the pickup, I thought back to the Drew Carey Show. It got that final two season renewal when it only had one good season left. And the wheels just fell off. Even Drew Carey doesn't like that final season.

I have a feeling that BBT will completely fall apart during the next two seasons. As mentioned before, it's afraid to change. The episode with the dinner table...Sheldon acted like a baby, everyone gave in, and the table's gone. Meanwhile, every episode this season has had the same Leonard/Penny plot. She does something that doesn't seem like the most intelligent decision, Leonard shares his opinion, and then Penny fights with him because she doesn't think he's being supportive. Haven't we been through the roller-coaster relationship with them twice already? Can't they just get along or move on?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
So Penny and Leonard are now engaged, and Raj has taken the "next step" with Emily. Things are really moving!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad they finally got them engaged, I didn't think it would ever happen! And I'm sad they killed off Bob Newhart's character. But this appears to be the real season of change for all the characters. They are all going through the stages of growing up and the experiences that come with it.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Nelson Au said:
I'm glad they finally got them engaged, I didn't think it would ever happen!And I'm sad they killed off Bob Newhart's character. But this appears to be the real season of change for all the characters. They are all going through the stages of growing up and the experiences that come with it.
Newhart can still re-appear in Jedi robes in the future, though. He was Sheldon's introduction to science, now he can be Sheldon's connection to real world issues.

If that's where they plan to take it. I have no idea what the plan is.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You are right of course Joel, regarding Newhart as a Jedi ghost while will come to Sheldon in his dreams. Hopefully George Takei and Katie Sackhoff come back in dreams. But those seem unlikely.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Them getting engaged will be a major change for Sheldon. He'll have to deal with the fact that Leonard's future life doesn't involve being his roommate. Now, Sheldon is the equivalent of Howard's mom in their relationship :)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
There is still the possibility that Penny and Leonard break off the engagement. Characters will do whatever it takes to keep a show going if the show must go on. I would prefer that they move on from the original premise of super smart science geeks into comic books and science fiction next door to a pretty girl but you go with with you know most of the time.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would not be happy if they went that route, Chuck. There needs to be progress and growth in the characters. I can imagine plenty of humorous situations leading up to their wedding and the adjustments that come with marriage.

richm41

Auditioning
Real Name
RichM
I can see Sheldon and Amy becoming "more of a couple" going forward. That should be entertaining.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I want the show to move forward too but the execs might be thinking "Very few shows survive after the main couple finally get together." In this case one main couple will be getting together and the original main 'odd' couple will be split. Reasons for Leonard & Penny to be around Sheldon will start looking extremely contrived very quickly.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chuck Anstey said:
I want the show to move forward too but the execs might be thinking "Very few shows survive after the main couple finally get together." In this case one main couple will be getting together and the original main 'odd' couple will be split. Reasons for Leonard & Penny to be around Sheldon will start looking extremely contrived very quickly.
I don't think they have to split up Sheldon and Leonard when Penny and he get married. I'm sure the newlyweds will be living in Penny's apartment and Sheldon will ve across the hall. Changing the relationship between Leonard and Sheldon should be a gold mine of situations that will drive Sheldon nuts. That's what the series is about after all, Sheldon reacting to situations and somehow getting his way. Maybe he's not going to always get his way in the future. I'd like that. :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised how well Sheldon actually handled the situations with which he was confronted. Perhaps he was so overcome that his natural reactions were suppressed? Curious to see where they go with Stuart now that his livelihood has been destroyed. Will he become roomies with Sheldon? Seems kind of far fetched, but if he can handle Howard's mom, Sheldon should be a breeze. :)

I enjoyed the finale quite a bit and Amy's scenes were fun. Particularly liked Penny's non-plussed reaction to Amy attacking Leonard. That reaction is a fun bit that never gets old on the show.

- Walter.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps Sheldon will now travel around and have a It's a Wonderful Life experience and come back and appreciate what he has.The business with Stuart was surprising and funny. But I hope he gets the store back. Though this season did show he wasn't able to compete against the other store with the obnoxious owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks