What's new

the big 2nd chance a basement HT? (1 Viewer)

DustinT

Agent
OK... so my wife and I are getting ready to sell our house and move on to bigger and better things. afterall, it's hard to raise a family in a 1 bedroom :b

So as we are perusing the local market we are keeping an eye open for homes with basements. our idea is maybe a 2-3 bedroom upstairs, with a finishable basement. (this way it doesn't add value to the homes price, but we can use our skills to renovate it into a home theater :))

Questions... for those that have done a basement HT, what would you suggest? One thing i'm thinking, is it must be a pretty tall basement, as I think wood floors might be ideal for better sound quality, and therefore the floor will probably raised a little since most basements are cement.

what would you suggest we look for, in size (WxL) and celing height? Any other tips? I'd love to see pictures. we would need room for at least 5 people, but if i can find something with room for like 10, we'd really be sitting sweet.

D-man

Ben Ch

Agent
Dustin, Bent here...
I acn't offer much for direction w.r.t. dimensions, but if you have your heart set on a raised "sub"floor sitting on concrete, be aware that the concrete will always realease some moisture, and that if it can't get out of the dead air space created under your raised floor that the wood won't last long at all.

We will also be in the market for a house soon, so I'll be in the same predicament.

edited, I spelled Dustin's name wrong...

DustinT

Agent
lol, no problem it's got a lot of letters... :)

thats a good point on the cement/moisture. When I installed the pergo in our current house, it went over hard wood, (80 year old hard wood, was shot, otherwise i'd just try to restor it) but there were directions for cement applications. there are sheets of padding that have a tarp-like quality and are designed to lie between the pergo and cement for the same moisture / chemical reasons.

would this be suitable for a basement HT sub floor?

I figured i would do something very very simple, like 1x1 framing and 3/4" ply.

also, the more i think about it... If i have more than one row, i will probably want to raise the rows of seats (or couches) past row one.. correct? how much? 2 inches...4? this will give me an idea of overall needed height.

btw... here is a picture of our current HT... nothing special, but we like it, and it boasts my pergo :b (and i just like using photobucket)

On a separate note, that t.v. is a bottom of the line 42" plasma... Norwood. I've yet to find a wall mount bracket for it. If my dreams come true and we build the basement HT, i'll be looking for a projector instead.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Dustin,
Here is my Basement Theater The first one was 12' x 14', The second is 14' x 23'.
For the floor, I first put down a sheet of plastic, then pressure treated 2x2 then 5/8 OSB flooring. Ceiling is about 94". Except for that air duct. Riser is 9" for the second row.

Dave

DustinT

Agent
Dave,

thanks for the post, i like very much what you did down there. and what you did again later. The equipment rack is very similar to what i've been pictures.

Also, thanks for posting dementions, thats a huge help!
Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks