What's new

Directors The Best Film of 2005 Tournament (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
good night, and good luck
Abstain - No RE, might rent it one of these days.
Abstain - No LD - heard it sucked donkey balls though.
Abstain - No BOP - not much interest in seeing it.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Walk the line. 05 was a poor year for flicks just as 06 has been so far. I havent seen a flick that i wanted to go back and see again in a few years.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Than you probably pay as much attention to what is actually made, rather than just the hyped ones, as you do to what a thread is actually about.

Please excuse my sarcasm.....

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
abstain - seen neither
The Constant Gardner - not wild about it, but definitely better than the very weak Red Eye
Capote - Last Days sucked donkey balls!
Mysterious Skin - didn't hate Pluto, but it was somewhat weak and rather pointless

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That might be a bit harsh, but MAN, it was the definition of slow. As in 90 minutes (seemed like 90 hours) of Michael Pitt walking around, mumbling to himself and eventually blowing his brains out. Yeah, it's based on Kurt Cobain.

And dany, that's better. My point is, it is obvious you didn't even take 5 seconds to see what the thread is actually about. If you want to contribute and have people pay any attention to what you say, take a moment and find out what feedback is being asked for. This is a tourney and the guidelines are extremely simple. There are matchups, usually changing every day. You comment on and vote for the current matchups. I don't know why it bothers me when people (constantly) do this, but I should probably just let it go, because it happens all the time.

If you want to find some good films from 2005, watch to see which ones move on and check some of them out. Rest assured, there are good ones to be found.

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I picked Walk the line. Good ones for you could be crap for another. Thats what films are about. Hope 06 picks up steam.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
abstain (no Cronicas)

The Constant Gardener
Wes Craven = hack. And what's with all that deliberate but purposeless crossing of the axis during the first meeting between the leads in the airport cafeteria? Pretentious hack employing pointless violation of Golden Age grammar! Hey, look at me... I'm Ozu (if Ozu had done vapid genre work).

Capote

abstain (no Pluto)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Advancing (sorry have to go quickly today, no time for comments)

Downfall 1-0 over The Producers (I'll break the tie...a rather easy choice.)

Look At Me 1-1/coinflip over Schultze Gets the Blues (my vote ties it to force the flip...Look at Me was a favorite of mine and just missed my top 10 of the year)

Good Night, and Good Luck 2-0 over Cronicas (with my vote for GNGL)

The Constant Gardner 4-1 over Red Eye (agreed)

Capote 3-0 over Last Days (I wouldn't say Last Days sucked, but definitely a failed experiment and one that tries the patience so I agree here.)

Mysterious Skin 2-0 over Breakfast on Pluto (I wasn't taken with Mysterious Skin either but agree with the vote and Elizabeth & Bill's comments on BOP)

Continuing Round #1

vs.

vs.

vs.

vs.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Two for the Money (Sin City was just way too violent for me; sports betting interests me) ;)

Separate Lies

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess my vote for Red Eye was so inconceivable it failed to register for Brook. Plus, you forgot the vote for Walk the Line, which I guess, moves on. :P

Now I'm sorry I haven't made a point of seeing Separate Lies yet. it's in the queue, but not much good there.

I'll take the enjoyable, if fairly ordinary Family Stone over the patronizing, calculated, pseudo-intelligent, pandering Crash any damn day of the week.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
40 Yr. Old Virgin

Abstain (did not see "Two for the Money")

Abstain (did not see either film)

Abstain (saw both films, and they are equally worthless)

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
abstain - no 40 Year Old Virgin...I'll watch it tonight just for Brook!!

abstain - no Two for the Money...I'll watch it tonight just for Brook!!

abstain - no Separate Lies, but I did like Upside of Anger

abstain - no Family Stone, but I did hate Crash!

I'll be back later....

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Two for the Money is in 5.1 Pacino Digital. Remember to crank up your receiver for full effect!

Is there any way to make my profile picture larger and somewhat legible?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
It says Starboy, The Captain of Outer Space...no idea what that is :)

My pic is bigger than yours :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks