What's new

Directors The Best Film of 2005 Tournament (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Best Film of 2005 Is:

defeating A History of Violence - 6-3 (including my vote)

Maybe someday we'll get to see the original premiere cut or perhaps an even longer version. Wes Studi was quite vocal that a number of his scenes were cut.

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, thanks for doing all this, Brook. Lots of fun!!

So, has there been any word about a longer cut DVD release of the winning film? I'm not a "more is necessarily better" kinda viewer, but as lengthy as this film was, I still felt that it could be fleshed out much more. Plus, I just love inhabiting the world Malick creates.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
We got a winner I haven't seen, so I guess I should give it a spin.

Thanks for doing the tourney Brook.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hadn't heard anything Rich after the initial hopes that R2 would get the longer version proved false. I wouldn't expect anything else out of Malick, though; much like the fabled longer cut of Thin Red Line. Maybe after he passes on his movies will get "The Big Red One" treatment.

As interested in cinematography as you are John, I'm surprised you didn't see it when it was in theaters.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I just checked my Top-10 as posted in the Movies forum some time ago, and was a bit surprised that "The New World" was not on it. I did see it on DVD, so it's possible that my viewing was after that posting. Anyway, here's how my 2005 favorites stacked up some months ago:

Tropical Malady
Caché
Yes
Junebug
Rois et Reine
A History of Violence
Saraband
The Squid and the Whale
The Best of Youth

And that's not too far off from how I might rank 'em today. Unless I'm misremembering, the only films on my list that made it very far in this tournament are "Caché" and "A History of Violence". And while I'm very fond of "The Best of Youth", it's Bellocchio's latest film "Good Morning, Night" that really seems to have stuck with me most, and which may be even more insightful about that period in Italian history (even though it's story is much more insular and scope far more restricted).

And more than any of the others, I think I'm most passionate about "Tropical Malady" and "Yes". I suspect "Caché" would be among those two, as well, but for the fact that it broke through to such a wide audience and thus feels a bit less like that little film that sends one a'proselytizing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks