What's new

The Beatles: why all the fuss? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Interesting point. I always wondered how they could not even be in the recording studios together, yet still technically "write" a song together according to the credits. I'm surprised this courtesy was still in place during the final stages of the band.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I would think Olivia would gain George's share, but who knows. It wasn't like George hated his time in the Beatles, it's just he didn't like their playing (live stuff) once all the screaming started. At least the BBC recordings were without an audience. I have also heard that George was not too keen on releasing "unreleased" recordings, having vetoed it the first time in the 1970's, but settling for the Rarities (US) lp, and then he vetoed a similiar project again when it was to come out around the time of John's death. Obviously his position changed, otherwise Anthology would not have come out.

I have faith that Olivia or Dhani would say yes to anything that honored George and the Beatles. Both Paul and Ringo want stuff to be released, especially Ringo, but Yoko is the wild card. I think she and Paul need to have dinner, but Yoko has always looked at Paul as John's ex-wife.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The problem with Yoko is that she's fashioned a career for herself as the Bereaved Widow and the Keeper of the Lennon Shrine. She has no interest in anything related to the MUSIC - she just wants to maintain the myth of Saint John. It's all about ignoring the fact three other guys had a lot to do with the band's success and promoting John uber alles...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Colin, I once interviewed Yoko for a story in the late, great Los Angeles Reader back in 1993. You'd be surprised at how sweet and humble she comes off in person. She's not quite the dragonlady she is made out to be.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I did sound kinda harsh, didn't I? :b

Well, I have no idea how Yoko is in person and in her day-to-day interactions, but I do honestly feel she acts as the Keeper of the Flame more than anything else. Do you not think that she works to promote John as the Big Beatle to the diminishment of the others?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't think John needs any sort of ongoing personal promotion. The sheer genius of his work and his contributions to humanity speak for themselves, Yoko or no.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As an Asian-American (okay Pacific Islander) who has dated many other races of Asian-Americans (current girlfriend is Chinese, have dated Japanese and Korean girls) and met many of their families...

Let me tell you it's is not only possible, but very likely, that Yoko comes off as nice and humble while doing interviews...and is a Dragonlady when doing business or interacting with those she doesn't feel the need to impress (or can let her guard down around, i.e. family and [once-close-now-alienated] friends)... :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Bummer. :frowning:

Can you imagine the huge commotion if the entire Beatles catalog were remastered (forget hi-res/surround--I'm losing faith its going anywhere in a big way) with all the original artwork/liner notes and vinyl versions of all their albums released, both with bonus tracks?

Talk about BIG $$$$$ being generated! And, helping to introduce them to a whole new generation.

And honestly, I don't even think I have ever seen a Beatles t-shirt for sale anywhere--are these people that constipated? FYI: at Hot Topics (of all places!) I saw a Miles Davis t-shirt. If the Davis estate can manage that............

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
While the end result was a bit flawed, I rather liked the idea of Let It Be...Naked, and it's one I would like to see explored further--alternate versions of the Beatles albums.

I'd really like to see an official release of the complete White Album demos, all of which are lovely-sounding and have a beautiful homespun feel to them, almost like the band was testing out new songs for you in your living room...probably because they were recorded at George's house. Plus it be interesting from a historical perspective, due to some slight lyrical changes and unreleased tunes ("Circles," "Sour Milk Sea," "Child of Nature," "Spiritual Regeneration," etc.). I have a gorgeous-sounding bootleg of the demos and to be honest it gets almost as much play as the actual White Album.

I wonder if Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia (or Dhani) have discussed this as a possible release, but legal reasons are preventing it. Though I doubt it, considering a handful of the demos were on Anthology 3...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks