What's new

The Beatles on DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Prices for Beatles LOVE:

Best Buy: Beatles - Love CD $9.99, Deluxe Ed. $14.99 (DVD 5.1 Surround)

Circuit City: Beatles - Love CD $9.99, Deluxe Ed. No Price? (DVD 5.1 Surround)

Target: Beatles - Love CD $9.99 , Deluxe Ed. $15.98 (w/DVD 5.1 Surround)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I paid $19.99 at Amazon (with free 2-day shipping with my Prime trial) but it was already in the "shipping soon" phase when I saw that I'd be able to get it about $5 cheaper in stores so I'm essentially paying Amazon $5 to get it to me on Wednesday rather than Tuesday.

It's possible it will come tomorrow though. I've probably placed 15 Amazon orders since they gave me the 3-month Prime trial and twice the two-day shipping has actually come a day early.

I placed one order right before their nightly shipping deadline and it came less than 24 hours later. My mind was blown.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Without seeing the show(s), and having a sneak peek on the Beatles Web site, I was most impressed with the "mash" of Tomorrow Never Knows and Within You Without You. The most interesting thing to spend the time is to find out where they borrowed elements from to assemble the finished tracks. That this project has received the blessing of Paul, Ringo, Olivia and Yoko is amazing in itself. The DVD-A package is definitely on my buy list.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I'm listening to it on my 4 GB iPod nano (in seemless track transition mode, of course!) and I definitely agree! :emoji_thumbsup: I will play the DVD version on my brother's 5.1 surround system very soon. :cool:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I just got through an end to end listen of the 5.1 DVD-A mix. Two words come to mind...

F***ing Brilliant.

OK...their mash-ups. But some of the tracks do not seem to be futzed with much at all, other than to make 5.1 mixes out of them.

And just to trot out one of my favorite cliches, you will hear things in this music that you never heard before. And thats a pretty neat trick given that many of us have been listening to these songs for 40+ years.

This disc is my new 5.1 demo disc. For me, it is so great that right now it is a bit overwhelming. A few tracks that are still buzzing around in my brain:

Revolution - I have never heard it presented before with this much visceral impact
WMGGW - George's voice is spooky it is so clear
Mr. Kite/I want you (she's so heavy)/Helter Skelter - Pure genius
Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows - More freakin' genius

In all honesty, I really feel bad for those that are 5.1 deprived. And if you can not let yourself enjoy this disc for what it is, well, I again, nothing much that anyone can say, but this is a brilliant repackaging of this music.

Overall, the fidelity is very good, but I note that the tracks for Abbey Road seem to be a cut above the rest. Obviously they were done at the end of the Beatles run, but man, what I would give to have Abbey Road, in its entirety, done in DVD-A 5.1.

Brian

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
HELP!
I just bought the 2 disc set. How do I access the Dolby Digital or DTS tracks?
My DVD player automatically plays it in PCM and there are no menu options to choose different formats and I also can't access different formats through the players audio options.
Do I have a defective disc?
HELP!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
When you play the disc, it comes up with a menu that lets you pick Audio.

Unless you are playing the CD and not the DVD...

- Steve

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Are you getting MC or or 2CH????? There is no 2CH mix on the DVD-A layer, so if you are getting a 2CH mix (16/48, I have read...), you MUST be on the DVD-V layer. And there are no other menu choices on the DVD-A layer other than Play or Track Select.

I have not re-set my player to DVD-V so I can't help confirm the menus, but are you 100% sure that that you are accessing the DVD-V layer? Is your player a DVD-A capable machine? Perhaps there are no menus per-se and you must select audio tracks with the Audio button on the remote?

When I get a shot, I will set my 3910 to access the DVD-V tracks, and I will report back.

Brian

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, on a regular DVD player there is 2-channel PCM, DD 5.1, and DTS 5.1. I have not plugged it into a DVD-Audio player yet to see what other options are available.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Brad,

I did fire up the player in DVD-V mode, and there is an Audio option in the main menu, and from there you can select DTS, DD, or 2CH PCM.

If you are not seeing that, it would seem that the player is in DVD-A mode. There is no audio menu on the DVD-A layer.

Brian

Bradley Newton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for everyone's help! You guys are all great and just one of the reasons that this is my favorite website.
I was in DVD-A mode. Once I switched over I was given the audio menu option.
I can't wait to hear this all the way through in DTS. I listened to the CD about 6 times through at work today and I am very impressed.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Love the dts and broke down and bought a DVD player with DVD-A and am hooking it up right now.
That was the death blow to SACD I believe and am sorry to say

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Well, I really blew this one...I have my uni player set up in 2CH mode only (not a big fan of surround music), so I was looking at this simply as a high-rez version of a bunch of Beatles tunes. Ugh... :frowning:

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Interesting choice to conclude the album withdialogue tracks from the fan club Christmas recordings - noticeably bits from "Everywhere It's Christmas", and the "Yesterday" close from 1965 ("Has he turned it off?"/"This is Johnny Rhythm saying goodnight to youse all")
over the orchestral track close from "Goodnight".

A unique experience that, while it won't generate any commercial radio airplay, is definitely an amazing aural experience in 5.1 surround. I agree that a 5.1 mix of Abbey Road would be a stroke of genius.

I still have concerns over the bandwidth compression in DVD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 vs., say, a potential full-bitrate 5-ch PCM presentation. I don't have a dedicated DVD-Audio player to hear the real difference, so if someone can illuminate the difference from the DVD mix vs a real DVD-A mix I would appreciate it.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I can't say I've given it a proper listen, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to devote proper time to it (with two little ones running around the house). But what from what I've heard I have equal parts excitement and disappointment.

Disappointment: listening to the CD in the car several tracks seem barely tinkered with and thus it gives the impression of a compilation album. I was hoping for a more complete mash-up type album. Some tracks however were excellent: Drive My Car/Word/What You're Doing, Strawberry Fields, etc.

Excitement: This album MUST be listened to in 5.1. On CD Walrus is just Walrus. On DVD Walrus is 5.1 Surround Walrus. It just comes alive. Amazing.

As far as mash-ups are concerned, I would suggest looking at Go Home Productions and check out:

Jet Lady Joe: A mash up layering Lady Madonna over a track by Jet, with some Joe Walsh Life's Been Good throw in.

All My Birds: Vocals from For No One over the music of All My Loving. Part of a longer mix; it's the last track.

I was kind of expecting something along these lines.

-paul

dberthia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave
I'm with you, Paul. I love the idea of a Beatles mashup, but aside from a few cuts I was disappointed. Although the sound quality is fantastic, I think they were too respectful of the original recordings. Most of the "mashing" was at the end/beginning of songs, with the main parts left relatively intact. On the other hand, cuts like "Drive My Car/What You're Doing" and "Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows" are exhilarating. These are the kinds of re-imaginings I hoped the whole work would be. I understand the songs had to fit in with the theatrical show being presented, but this just leaves me with a bitter taste of what could have been. Maybe someday...

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I went in expecting more of a mash-up album too.

I still LOVE these cd's and am very happy I purchased them, but was a little disappointed as I was expecting something different

~Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks