What's new

The Bear McCreary Fan Thread (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Bear McCreary - the astonishingly talented composer from Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Human Target and most recently, The Walking Dead, has created some of the very best music for television. I wanted to start this thread to share news of his current and upcoming projects, discuss some of his greatest accomplishments, and other assorted news. I hope I am not the only Bear fan on HTF. To kick things off, I found this great peice on YouTube where Bear talks about creating the main theme for The Walking Dead. Enjoy.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm a fan too, but I am only slowly collecting his work (case in point: I don't own any of the BSG soundtracks, but have Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles). I really like the Walking Dead music too.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
I'm a fan too, but I am only slowly collecting his work (case in point: I don't own any of the BSG soundtracks, but have Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles).
I really like the Walking Dead music too.
Oh - the BSG scores are among the highlights of my soundtrack collection and certainly some of the finest music ever recorded for a television series (heck, better than a great deal of film scores in my opinion). When you get around to picking them up, you are in for a treat.
To add to that, LaLaLand Records has a deal on the BSG scores to help celebrate the impending release of music from the BSG: Blood & Chrome web series (also by Bear). Now would be an economical time to pick up those scores!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you had to pick one BSG soundtrack release, what would it be?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Bear McCreary performaing 'Prelude to War', from Battlestar Galactica, on the piano.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
If you had to pick one BSG soundtrack release, what would it be?
Great question. I would say Season 4. It's a two-disc set (season 4 on disc one and then music from the final episode, Daybreak, on Disc two) and contains some extraordinary peices, including Gaeta's Lament and Assault on the Colony - a wonderful 15 minute track that takes your breath away!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Here's a track from Caprica which will one-day get a LaLaLand release. Caprica's music was always the moodier, string-heavier cousin to BSG - and excellent.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Isn't Caprica available now from LaLaLand? Or is there another release pending?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
One last clip for today - this is one of my all-time favourite Bear peices.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's fantastic!!!!! I had heard he had some good Taiko drum tracks but was having a hard time nailing down which BSG tracks featured the drums. This is a good one! Others you can recommend? Bear or otherwise?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Isn't Caprica available now from LaLaLand? Or is there another release pending?
The release available now is from the pilot and a likely 2-disc release from the full season is due in the near-ish future!
And I keep missing your notes so I am sorry it's taking days to respond!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
That's fantastic!!!!!
I had heard he had some good Taiko drum tracks but was having a hard time nailing down which BSG tracks featured the drums. This is a good one! Others you can recommend? Bear or otherwise?
Let me find some of my other fave tracks featuring the Taiko drum and post them here (Bear or otherwise).

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
A loop of the intro blips: Random track of unaccompanied Taiko drums: Awesom track (Rosalyn Escapes): Sound quality isn't the best, but this is from the Sci-Fi museum BSG exhibition: Subtle use of the Taiko drum (from season one) Non-Bear - Track from Hero by Tan Dun:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I thought this was an interesting, fan-made use of Taiko drums - recutting a scene from 300

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Back to Bear - this is a wonderful peice from Caprica (I hope this makes it onto the CD that LLL release)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
From The Plan, this is Apocalypse played live - another wonderful peice of music for BSG by Bear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks