What's new

The battle over The World at War (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The landmark 26 part TV series is coming out on bluray soon, but it's shaping up to be one of the most controversial remasters ever. In order to sell the show to Discovery, the producers had to reformat the aspect ratio to standard widescreen from the old TV aspect ratio. This meant reframing and cropping. Reviews are turning up with screen grabs of Hitler with the top of his head cut off, and Amazon is packed with negative reviews already. Thankfully, you can still get the series in it's original aspect ratio on DVD at ebay for $33. I bought it and checked it out on my 10 foot projection system. It looks about the same as the bluray grabs... Except with a third more image. If you are interested in this series, I'd snap it up while you can still get the DVDs. I bet they'll be replacing those with amputated versions soon. Edit: Nitwit nitpick

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I Got myself a copy of this series along with a Complete Set of Space 1999 for $60.00 during a BOGO Sale at DeeDees a couple of years ago. Althought I have two HD-TVs (Purchased during "Nathonal Day of Insanity" (That's "Black Friday" for those of you in a certain town outside of Sacramento, California!) [/b]

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
You can currently get the series from the Edward Hamilton Bookseller catalog for $29.95. That's where I got it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The World At War was made by Thames not BBC. Thames also produced Rumpole of the Bailey and the Benny Hill Show. Why do so many people assume if it was made in England, the BBC did it?

I've watched the first disc of the Blu-ray set and it's not that irritating. The main problem with framing happens during the start of interviews since the titles are burned into the film. They have to cut more off the top of the head than what's usual for widescreen and then they frame up after the titles are over.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Irritating or not and no matter *how* you look at it and/or justify it the presentation is *modified* from the OAR. For years we've complained about WS films being offered in butchered P&S for TV and now it's going the other way. Normal 4x3 is being butchered for the sake of the "Joe 6-pack" crowd who "don't like them black bars" and stretch the 4x3 image to fit that shiny new WS set. For my money if the product is *not* offered in the OAR I do not want it. I'd rather have a low res "normal" copy than any high res hack job any day.

And yes, there are *lots* of producers of product from across the pond other than the Beeb. It's just that most people have the impression that since the BBC pretty much runs/controls the broadcast spectrum they do all the production as well. It's a similar situation to those who think that just because a certain U.S. network airs a program they must have produced it as well.

FWIW the OP didn't say the BBC produced the program but that it is a landmark BBC series. Since it aired on BBC that is an accurate statement.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The World At War aired on ITV - not BBC. ITV was the rival to the BBC. Therefore by referring to The World at War as a BBC series is wrong. The BBC had nothing to do with this series until it was rerun on BBC2 last summer. To credit that as a "landmark BBC series" is stretching it.

what is annoying is a non-researched defense. No wonder people have the impression that the BBC made everything because it seems some people don't want to do the background check to get the right information posted.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

And yes, there are *lots* of producers of product from across the pond other than the Beeb. It's just that most people have the impression that since the BBC pretty much runs/controls the broadcast spectrum they do all the production as well. It's a similar situation to those who think that just because a certain U.S. network airs a program they must have produced it as well.

FWIW the OP didn't say the BBC produced the program but that it is a landmark BBC series. Since it aired on BBC that is an accurate statement.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Maybe I should change it from "the landmark BBC series" to "the landmark foreign series". That would be more accurate.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
it's not about it being accurate - it's about being right and being wrong. You are wrong. You need to fix it in your original post. You can say the original ITV series - or the Thames Production. Just correct it.

Originally Posted by bigshot

Maybe I should change it from "the landmark BBC series" to "the landmark foreign series". That would be more accurate.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected! And thanks! No, I did not research the original airing network simply because like many others I fell into the trap that "quality documentary = BBC" even though I know better... :)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by bigshot

Whenever I refer to a British TV series, I merely refer to it as "British TV Series". I don't care which of their networks produced what. I also refer to American TV Series' as "American TV Series". That way, no one is offended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks