What's new

The Battle of Britain: 2 Disc SE will include Walton's original score! (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
In principle I'm delighted too, but is the Walton score: (1) an extra on disc 2, (2) an alternative music track on the film, or (3) the only music track? I do hope it's (2), though I'll settle for (1). However, (3) creates as well as solves problems.

Sam Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Just sold my R1 on eBay for $A51 ($US38-ish) so I'll get a free upgrade on this title. I can't wait for this and Das Boot: Das Bootiest Edition coming out within a week of each other in R2. :D

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

The press release says that "for the very first time THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN can be watched and enjoyed with Walton's stirring score" which suggests that the score has been dubbed onto the film (presumably as an alternative audio track) - at least I hope so. But I agree that clarification is needed.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
There's a set of menus over at DVDAnswers.com and on one of the images it clearly says "Feature With William Walton Score"

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well-spotted, Mr Oates! That seems more or less conclusive. Great news! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Fantastic film. Fantastic score. Finally, they can know officially be experienced together.

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
You can find our full review of the May 24th UK Region 2 release of the Battle Of Britain 2-disc Special Edition here.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
That is an absolutley superb review by Mr McCone. :emoji_thumbsup:

I wasn't sure whether or not to believe the listing of the DTS track(s) but now that it has been confirmed, I am delighted!

MGM take some shit from time to time here at HTF - at sometimes they deserve it - but they deserve big props this time around. Well done, chaps! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
In this review the reviewer talks about a "prologic soundtrack" on R1 version.
What´s up with that.
It was plain old original MONO.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
In fairness, Maggi Magg, most Mono soundtracks are rendered as Dolby 2.0 (identical left/right) rather than Dolby 1.0 (Centre speaker only) for obvious reasons. Most DD2.0 soundtracks also seem to carry the prologic flag, so the reviewer's only reporting what his kit tells him about the disc.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great review Mark, can't wait to add this classic to my collection.
From reading the first few posts here I got the impression Ron Goodwin's fantastic score had been replaced with William Walton's. I would have hesitated buying it if it was, for me Goodwin's music is a major reason this is near the top of my war movie favorites.
And I hope Churchill's famous "the few" quote is back on the end credits, the R1 had a different quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks