What's new

The back of the Forrest Gump case.... (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
right near the bottom above the Dolby Digital and DVD video insignias there is a little box containin a message to all J6Pers out there.
"This film is presented in 'widescreen' format. The black bars on the top and bottom of the screen are normal"
I found this funny. Stores should blow it up to poster size and hand them near the dvd sections.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
That was the standard language in the days of LD. Interesting that it's making a comeback.
M.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I have a few DVDs that say this on the back. I think they are only Paramount DVDs though.
-Keith-

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Now that I look through ny DVD collection, all the Paramounts dvds have this...it should be on all dvds.
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
laugh.gif
Antonio made a funny.
And quite funny it was.
------------------
-Kevin M.
"Have a good time all the time........that's my philosophy, Marty."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Antonio...ROFL!
smiley_rotflmao.gif

Yeah, I've seen the wording on the Paramount DVD's. I too wish it was adopted by more studios. Especially in place of that horrible "Standard Format" wording they use for Full-Screen junk.
If we could just get them to label it "OAR" or "MAR", it would be so convenient, wouldn't it? :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately David, most people won't know what OAR is. Even less will get what MAR is. They might think it's some kind of month abbreviation and go "huh?"...
I prefer Widescreen: Preserving the Aspect Ratio of it's theatrical exhibition. The black bars on top and bottom are normal.
Change fullscreen to Altered: This film has been altered from it's original theatrical presentation to fit into regular televisions. This is not the way the film was presented in theaters. You may be missing up to 45% of the actual movie image.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
MGM actually does a decent job portraying the differences on the back of their discs with those small pictures of either a widescreen image, standard image, or both when applicable.
I think if Paramount is going to put such a statement they should also add a line something like "to preserve the original theatrical presentation."
J
------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

William Ward

Supporting Actor
MAR is a way of saying not widescreen. Basically, it was brought about by the folks complaining when someone called an open matte title "Pan & Scan." Technically the two processes are different. They still reshape the movie from it's theatrical dimensions. It just puts all the P&S, Open Matte, and Super 35 reformatted titles into one bunch that's opposite of OAR. That way you don't have WS vs P&S "but what about open matte??" things going. It makes it simple. One or the other. There isn't any grey area. OAR vs MAR.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i think one of the best examples of what your getting i've ever seen was on the rob roy dvd, i dont remember if it was inside he package or onthe back, but it had the scene in the beginning where the group of 4 were looking over the hill down on the camp, it had 2 boxes drawn in diff colors to show you exactly what was shown in pan and scan and in widescreen.
i think every movie that comes out should have that on the back, with a critical scene from the movie that gets butchered by pan and scan.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks