What's new

The Avengers (1998) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Osato said:
Due to internal wrangling at Warner Brothers, the decision was made to vastly cut down the running time after test screenings, reducing the 115-minute film to 87 minutes, sacrificing much coherence and continuity in the process. Key scenes removed included the opening sequence in which "Mrs. Peel" infiltrates and destroys the Prospero science installation; early trailers included the scene where she says the words "How now brown cow" in a false telephone box to gain admittance. The movie was originally scored by composer Michael Kamen, who included the original Avengers theme; however he was unable to re-score the film after the radical editing, so was forced to drop out. The recut version of the film was scored by Joel McNeely. The original shooting script was used for the film's novelisation and includes all the material shot and then removed from the film. The original cut has yet to surface; Warners are apparently not interested in releasing a director's cut or special edition in any form, even though director Jeremiah Chechik has offered to recut the film for nothing.
The "Training village" scene with Steed works much better as an opening (and probably comes closest to capturing the tone of the series), but that missing Evil Peel Twin opening clears up a LOT of confusion at the beginning of the theatrical cut--
Like, why is the Ministry treating talented-amateur Emma like a criminal from the start of the movie, why Steed automatically suspects her without evidence, how Real-Peel could know the secret phone password, etc., and just where the heck the robot/clone does show up from out of nowhere in the second half of the film.
davidHartzog said:
Having watched The Avengers in the 60s, and then for decades in reruns, the movie was a huge disappointment. It was made by people who apparently had never seen the show.
The writers had seen the show, and did a thankless job of trying to capture the tone (although Patrick Macnee, in his "offscreen" cameo, still shows us how it was done). Even to the point of putting in that weird tribute to the three "Emma in the Maze" episodes.
Problem is, you had entire audiences who had never grown up on the series, thinking it was "some cool 60's spy series" like Man From UNCLE, and registered....nonplussment somewhat at a scene of villains dressed in teddy-bear suits, or grannies pulling machine guns out of their strollers. Kids, that was MILD compared to the series. :D

Biggest problem was the actors--I'm sure Ralph Fiennes has a sense of humor somewhere, but he remembered Steed as "mannered", and sleepwalked through the role, while Uma Thurman remembered Peel as "sexy", and snarled her way through. The writers capture a little bit of the Banter (and even a friendly swordfight straight out of their first episode), but the tone seemed to be lost on the actors and director somewhat.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
In contrast to The Avengers tv show and movie, I would cite The Fugitive tv show and movie. Here, the writers clearly watched the original, even incorporating at least one scene from the series into the script. The film version caught the spirit of the original, esp. the need for Richard Kimble to help others, and did justice to the original. Even Harrison Ford really put out an effort on this one, although he was no David Jansson. Personally, I think The Fugitive is one of the very few tv shows transferred to film that has really worked.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The preorder and release date have been removed from Amazon..

Very strange. Best Buy still lists the preorder and August release date...

http://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Blu-ray-Ralph-Fiennes/dp/B00JOTETJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401157199&sr=8-1&keywords=the+avengers+uma+blu+ray
Avengers [Blu-ray] (2014)Ralph Fiennes (Actor), Uma Thurman (Actor), Jeremiah Chechik (Director) | Rated: PG-13 | Format: Blu-ray
2.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
This is just one of many Warner distributed preorders that had their preorder removed from the site on or around May 16th (e.g. several versions of 300: Rise of an Empire, LEGO Movie, Time Machine, Vanilla Sky, Looney Tunes Vol. 3 etc etc). No idea what's going on.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Christian Preischl said:
This is just one of many Warner distributed preorders that had their preorder removed from the site on or around May 16th (e.g. several versions of 300: Rise of an Empire, LEGO Movie, Time Machine, Vanilla Sky, Looney Tunes Vol. 3 etc etc). No idea what's going on.
Very strange! Thanks for the post and information!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
ahollis said:
THE AVENGERS-great concept, with poor execution. No, it was terrible execution.
To think I had to sit though this at Warner Village, Bristol, checking the print condition all on my own large screen. I had the worst earache after +90mins.Check list and rating each reel, few minor scratches not worth cutting out and no splice or perforation damage or continuity problems.

Didn't like the Eq as it was all top end and hardly any stage bass or surround I could feel and subs LFE.1 didn't do it for me. All speakers was KCS, CP500 I think QSC amps? Its 16 years ago and feels like Friday, just gone.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Watching it now. It looks better in places but reAlly soft at other times. The audio does seem better than the DVD. Picture is better than DVD but like I said it is soft at times.Blu ray.com has posted a review as well.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Osato said:
Watching it now. It looks better in places but reAlly soft at other times. The audio does seem better than the DVD. Picture is better than DVD but like I said it is soft at times.Blu ray.com has posted a review as well.
Looking at the caps at that site it looks like a natural image and not a processed one, maybe they just shot with softer focus to try and capture a certain mood and ambience, i'd buy it based on those images.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
FoxyMulder said:
Looking at the caps at that site it looks like a natural image and not a processed one, maybe they just shot with softer focus to try and capture a certain mood and ambience, i'd buy it based on those images.
Agreed. I am happy with the purchase. It's $8 or so on Amazon right now.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Podcast film review, interviews with the director and writer here:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Podcast film review, interviews with the director and writer here:

The interview with Chechik is so good! It’s hard to believe that one studio exec could destroy the film so badly! We also lost a Michael Kamen score.
Per the director, The only possibility of the cut ever being released is for people to ask for it.

I hope it does happens eventually!

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
This film is SO bad that Warner's would never spend a penny to reconstruct the original version. It's truly terrible and badly miscast. Two hundred guys jonesing for the uncut version isn't going to pay even a fraction of the bill for a reconstruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks