What's new

The autonomous (self driving) car buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Technically...not a non-story.

In Indiana, you can now be pulled over for causing a fast lane traffic backup. So...if a self-driven car tries to pass a semi...and "gets stuck" there for miles on end...

Also...can the cars move themselves over for police/ambulances on the side of the road, another requirement in Indiana that comes with a very hefty ticket(and often why, in numerous locations...highway patrol works in teams).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What I meant was that they didn't have to be speeders to get stuck behind it!

And I KNOW your grandma doesn't drive in the passing lane. Right????? :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Faraday's leak was true, it's a concept vehicle that represents their -MODULAR- platform. Their chassis is nearly infinitely reconfigurable from mini to supercar, with batteries, engines and autonomy alacart.
http://www.faradayfuture.com/index.html

http://gizmodo.com/faraday-future-will-challenge-tesla-with-this-crazy-ele-1750892359?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_twitter&utm_source=gizmodo_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10711164/faraday-future-ffzero1-concept-car-announced-photos-ces-2016

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

While I'm a little surprised, I guess I shouldn't be. Just give it a few years for the technology to mature and then you'll start seeing a reversal - laws where the cars can't have steering wheels, people can't drive, etc. etc.

This part, though, I found to be ludicrous - "Behind the controls, they would need a licensed driver with an “autonomous vehicle operator certificate” capable of taking control if something goes awry." Uh, that would be a DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!! But yet, they gotta have more bureaucracy and fees.......

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Yeah not for a hundred years

I doubt that. Just look over in the 'What annoys you thread" - there's a law in Washington state to stay in the left lane except to pass. I'm sure it's meant to help prevent traffic congestion. Now, extrapolate it to this situation - you started this thread at the beginning of 2014. Just a little over 2 years later we already have multiple companies getting together to form a lobbying group. Once we start seeing autonomous vehicles on the road we're going to start seeing people pushing for this; for safety reasons.

The point is, that the technology is developing fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks