What's new

The Archive of Incomplete TV DVDs - Buyers Beware! (Updated 3/27/05) (1 Viewer)

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
There's an absolutely huge list of edits that have been made to Python since the original broadcasts here. Also a lot of info about stuff that was written but not filmed, stuff that was filmed but cut out before the actual broadcast, etc. etc., with lots of extracts from the actual shooting scripts (NOT the versions in "All/Just the Words," which are mostly transcripts). Here's what's been edited since the original broadcasts (if the A&E set does in fact include any of this material be sure to chime in, I haven't actually compared them yet):

Page 10 of the site has a comparison between an old audio recording of "Mr Neutron" and the version we all know and possibly love, but since it's unknown exactly where the audio copy comes from (i.e. whether it was made from the original broadcast or possibly from a rough edit that never actually went out) it doesn't really count. It apparently comes from the ABC versions of the show (the ones the Pythons successfully sued over). The "masturbation" line in 3-5 was indeed cut for the original transmission, but subsequently reinstated in repeats. The same episode was also shorn of the line "what a silly bunt!" in the "Travel Agent" sketch, but this apparently has not been recovered.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
One more show that was edited, that I completly forgot about from last go-round

Doctor Who: The Five Doctors
The 1995 Special Edition contains many new lines of dialogue, extended scenes of Tom Baker (from Shada), updated and vastly improved special effects, and a new Stereo Dolby Surround soundtrack.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Jem And The Holograms: The Complete First And Second Seasons" has some interesting issues.

There are 2 different variations on the "Jem" theme song (The first is "Truly Outrageous", and the second is the "Jem Girls" theme). There are 2 different opening sequences set to "Truly Outrageous", while "Jem Girls" has just one opening.

Episode 13 ("The Music Awards, Part 1") has an edit. In the original broadcast version, there was a public service announcement with a phone number for a runaway help service. As Christy Marx points out in the episode's commentary track, it was edited from the DVD.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Do these count?

NicholasMinTN

Auditioning

Okay, I can say this is NOT true. Per a few online forums, the shows have NOT been altered at all. And why would they? The flubs are part of the charm of this show.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone mention that the "Family Guy " dvds originally had commentary on ALL episodes but Fox didnt think it was necessary.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOO Fox

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Jackass: BOTH discs are a best of set of all three seasons. :frowning: It probably doesn't get any worse than this.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
A "best of" set, is not an "altered presentation" if the episodes within are exactly the way they were broadcast. I think we need to remember the purpose of the thread which is to note sets with episode content altered from the original broadcast version.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

We might want to define the criteria then - I'm seeing submssions that I would think are vaild for listing getting passed over. The Special Edition of the Five Doctors, the updated Cosmos disc and the GI Joe set with the opening credits from the wrong season - just for starters - would seem to be prime candidates, yet didnt make the cut.

If it's gonna be a half-assed list, then why bother at all?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

They could just put a note before the show telling you not to call the number. Or they could have left the scene in and just covered up the number. (Unless that's what they actually did. I haven't actually seen this show.) The scene would still be altered, but not missing intirely.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

Those WILL make the list. I'd like to stress that I'm a pretty busy person. But I will have some time to update this holiday weekend.

ALSO: A lot of the time when people point out edits (like the Jem thing with the removed phone number), they aren't complaining. They're just noting the edits. Now if John K. had said he was enraged that they cut out the phone number, then we could all point and laugh at him. ;)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

If you can find absolute proof that this is the case, Paul, I will change my stance. I find it hard to believe that the show, which debuted in 1994 (if memory serves correctly), was shot with the intention of one day being shown in an OAR that was widescreen. This was before the time of DVD and only a few TV stations at the time even had the presence of mind to show the occasional movie in "letterbox" format (Sci-Fi Channel comes to mind). LD was the only refuge for the OAR clan. I suppose Kung Fu and V were shot with this in mind also?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Flintstones- Complete First Season......Some episodes are missing laugh tracks. The end credits use one set of credits for the entire season...Also, the end credits do not contain the sponsorship billboard for Winston, and the ABC NETWORK billboard.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't see these mentioned: The "Saturday Night Live" series of "Best of..." DVDs. I know they're compilations, but they deserve mention because of the inexcusable way they've been butchered: they've done editing within the individual skits! The list is too long for me to think about making, but just a few examples:

"The Best of Mike Myers": a Wayne's World skit featuring a top 10 list fades out after #2... they don't even show what was #1.

"The Best of Phil Hartman": the Greenhilly skit has the beginning and ending chopped off.

Some of the discs feature "montage" sequences so you expect those to be "just the funny parts", but I can't believe they would release anything in this condition. If any series screamed for a boycott, this is it.

Pavan_P

Second Unit
Two things ...

Married ... With Children Season 1: #7 "Married Not With Children" has alternate music in the episode, not the original Beatsie Boy music.

Diff'rent Strokes Season 1: "The Retrospective 1 and 2" & "The Trip 1 and 2" Both are not in its original one hour form and are syndicated versions, with episodes only 22 minutes in duration. Missing 2-3 minutes each of footage.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding two of the shows mentioned here that have edited versions on the DVD sets: Charlie's Angels season 2 and Soap season 1. Does anyone know if the VHS tapes of these shows released by Columbia House are the full, unedited versions or are they cut as well?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Hank - I believe that the case with Soap is like this: Every time one of the syndicated eps appears instead of one of the original uncut ones, it's a safe bet that the original tape is lost or unavailable for some reason. I'll bet it's been that way even since the VHS days.

Also, I will find a way to make some sort of a mention about various SNL discs having incomplete sketches.

Pavan - Two nice catches on the MWC and DS sets. I remember the replaced music for "Fight for Your Right to Party" in that episode!

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

Just want to point out...the recap contained previously unseen footage, some of which is included as bonus features, but not all of it...so technically it is a bit problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks