What's new

The Apprentice Season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I just watched the episode and WOW, was that a surprise or what????

Bradford...what a dumbass. Got a little too cocky IMO. Good decision by Trump and I totally agree with Patrick, you can't have a guy give up a strategic advantage like that. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and take one for the team.

BTW, Carolyn is getting on my nerves with all the faces she keeps making. Last season I didn't like George but this season I'm starting to dislike Carolyn even more.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Trumps needs a cold, hard reminder that his money doesn't give him the right to treat people like dirt.

It's his show; he makes the decisions.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
quote:Trumps needs a cold, hard reminder that his money doesn't give him the right to treat people like dirt.

Have you seen The Benefactor?

Like Trump's decision or not--I agree with it even if they need to get rid of that flake Stacie ASAP--at least he had a legitimate reason for it. (Don't forget the extra 12 minutes of boardroom footage Saturday night.) The Benefactor, which is more like The World According to Mark Cuban, gets rid of contestants based on Cuban's whims that day. (Or so it appears after one episode.)

Does anyone else notice any similarities between The Donald and Raj? They carry themselves the same way and have similar personalities.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
quote:The Benefactor, which is more like The World According to Mark Cuban, gets rid of contestants based on Cuban's whims that day. (Or so it appears after one episode.)

Which is why so far, it's a funnier show. I'll be watching that one just to watch and see how low these idiots will stoop for a shot at his cash. We know, and they should know, he is going to be an ass, but they will all take his crap hoping to be the one to win the $$. I for one enjoy watching people who stoop to that level be humiltiated and mocked because I think they deserve it in a sense.

Both shows will be fun to watch for me though, just for different reasons.

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
I think Donald made the right choice.. would you want someone working for you that would throw out his "Trump Card" just so he could shoot his mouth off!! Dumb move.. A lawyer should know better.

He also sent a message to the other candidates.

"What you say in the boardroom does have consequences....so chose your words wisely"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
quote:BTW, Carolyn is getting on my nerves with all the faces she keeps making. Last season I didn't like George but this season I'm starting to dislike Carolyn even more.

A few months ago, my girfriend was driving on the highway and was nearly cut off by the other car, she eventually got to pass the car and she swears it was Carolyn driving.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
quote:Everyone wants to watch a trainwreck, and what better way to watch than to keep incompetent people on the show to the end (Omarosa ring a bell?). It makes for a more interesting show.

Yeah, I think it was a total ratings move. Remember, the show's producers also consult with Trump before he makes the decision. After some of the questionable events of last season (the last minute apartment renting in particular) if it becomes clear they are going to focus more on sensationalism and ratings then I will probably bail (which is too bad since this is the only reality show I've consistently enjoyed).

Thursday's episode just smacked too much of future "No one is safe","Most shocking season of Apprentice ever" taglines to me.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Just watched the re-broadcast with the extra 12 minutes, and was surprised to find out that Ivana actually asked Stacie to call the temp agency just to keep her busy. I don't recall that from the original airing of that episode, which made it seem like Stacie took it upon herself to call.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I don't recall that from the original airing of that episode, which made it seem like Stacie took it upon herself to call.

I thought she did that on her own, too, since there was no discussion shown, and some of the others were asking why she was doing it.

The promos are teasing about rules being broken next week. Oooh, will it be the most shocking rose ceremony ever?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, even the added bits at the very end after telling the toadies to get out of the boardroom, Trump and the gang were patting themselves on their backs, though Carolyn did complain that she was really tired from the boardroom activities.

The added footage did help crystalize how dumb Bradford was in not shutting his yap. Jen C also came across as someone who just has to add her 2 cents no matter what.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
The boardrooms, I'm sure, are much longer than what we see on television, probably a few hours.

Unlike the Survivor Tribal councils, where the decision to toss someone off is made beforehand, the home viewers are missing out on a lot of the nuances on what happens in the boardroom discussions. By condensing an hours-long meeting down, you're going to lose a lot of things that could made a difference in the outcome. I mean, the first person to hold immunity in the boardroom waived it. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

The more I think about it, I have to wonder if the boardroom immunity wasn't a trap. This isn't Big Brother or Survivor with behind-the-scenes politicing, but instead a merit-based competition. You have to figure that, somewhere down the line, someone was going to waive it.

Considering the confrontational nature of the boardroom, anyone there who has immunity would be seen as "hiding behind it" when they're naming names and criticizing their teammates. In many ways, having that immunity is as much of a burden on whoever holds it, as it as a benefit.

So I'm sort of wondering if there wasn't a plan in place all along for the first person to waive immunity to be fired.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's a good litmus test: Waive your immunity and you're fired (should the other project leader bring you into the boardroom). How stupid do you have to be to give up immunity for a job well done on a previous project? By waiving immunity, you dare the Donald to boot you back on the street. And the Donald is more than willing to do just that, regardless of how good a worker bee you are.

BTW, the tribal councils on Survivor also last a few hours, not 10 minutes, and the audience doesn't get to see that footage either. Pretty much the contestants have to be on their toes to play the political game during both the tribal councils and the boardroom meetings. Of course, George is always pushing for people to name names and rat out other applicants in the boardroom. So it's a thin line for them.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
quote:Jacinto...you're fired!

You can't fire me...

Because I quit!!!!
biggrin.gif

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Can someone please explain to me what exactly it was that Jennifer said to piss off Trump so badly. He said she kept interrupting, but I just remember her jumping in and saying a few things. Nothing constant like Trump made it out.

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
quote:Can someone please explain to me what exactly it was that Jennifer said to piss off Trump so badly.

Trump had already told her that she probably didn't belong there. Rather than accept that and lay low, Jennifer kept speaking up and drawing unnecessary attention to herself.

Even when he warned her again that she "ought to shut up" as she probably wouldn't be chosen, she couldn't seem to stop.

Then, when she blurted out "That's insane!" at Trump saying that Bradford was "the best one in the room", I really expected him to fire her on the spot. Lucky for her, it seems like Trump didn't catch her exact comment, since he says something like "you blurt out whatever the hell you blurt that nobody ever knows what it means anyway."

Kenneth_C

Second Unit
quote:The more I think about it, I have to wonder if the boardroom immunity wasn't a trap. This isn't Big Brother or Survivor with behind-the-scenes politicing, but instead a merit-based competition. You have to figure that, somewhere down the line, someone was going to waive it.

Considering the confrontational nature of the boardroom, anyone there who has immunity would be seen as "hiding behind it" when they're naming names and criticizing their teammates.

Excellent point, Joshua W. And it got me thinking about this whole "exemption/immunity" thing in a different way.

Though The Apprentice is a reality/competition show, its rules and contructs have heretofore been based on a "World of Business" model (the whole premise of a "15-week-long job interview", the assignment of tasks, the accountability in the Boardroom, the idea that Project Managers are at least partially responsible for a team's failure, etc.)

The introduction this season of the Exemption, however, seems to come completely from the "World of Reality TV" (Survivor, Big Brother). I can't think of an equivalent to it in the Real World, where your neck is always on the line. Granted, you might build up enough goodwill with the boss from succeeding at a task to prevent your firing at a subsequent failure -- but we already saw that dynamic transpire during the first season. An actual Exemption from firing goes far beyond that. An exempt candidate could actually sleep through the next task with impunity. That really makes no sense.

So it doesn't surprise me that Bradford got tripped up by it. In the real merit-based "World of Business", his move might have been seen as "honorable". (Even Trump made reference to that in the extended Boardroom footage.) But in the "World of Reality TV", it was the stupidest thing he could have done.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Can someone tell me what happened in the extended board room footage? I still think Trump went overboard firing the guy who waived his immunity. He should have scared him. But, then fired the one of the other two woman who weren't that good.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
The most notable revelation in the extra boardroom footage was learning that Stacie had been told to call the temp agency so that she'd have something to do and wouldn't bother the others.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I can't think of an equivalent to it in the Real World, where your neck is always on the line.

The real world version is having blackmail photos of your boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks